• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Schools

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
  • I made a similar mistake in thinking that I would need a Precalculus class in my junior year of High School, which I barely passed, even though I doubt that I would've needed it for going into journalism or psychology.

I actually have to take that class to graduate, either that or prestats. Either ways it will not help me in the future.

I still say though, high school for me is a tiny start for what career you wanna go into, but in all honesty, here are not many classes to take for each major. There is no more than 10, and to even do liberal arts (thats what my school calls it, but its just a fancy name for general studies) you need 24 odd credits to graduate. College is somewhat the same, they have general studies you have to take, that you will probably never use. I cant say anything too much though since I am not in college yet, but I assume it would be the same.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah they kind of do a little too much math in school imo. The majority of people afaik never need much more than algebra to make it through their lives but it's commonly mandatory to do more than that in (American) schools. When I was in high school (which, god damn, that was nearly a decade ago at this point), you had to take a math class for 3 of the 4 years, and then in the last one you had to choose between taking a science class or a math class. And the only science class to take was physics, which is pretty much math masquerading as science.

How do people feel about....I usually just refer to it as "English class" but basically what I mean is the literature+writing class. I remember it not being very good. Then again, I think that the US education system is ass so I'm not likely to say anything about it wasn't bad, but, y'know.

Something a lot of schools in the UK Sixthforms (and I assume college's as well) do that I'm not ok with is the pressuring of students to go to university.
    Oh, they do that in the UK as well? =(

Years
  • How do people feel about....I usually just refer to it as "English class" but basically what I mean is the literature+writing class. I remember it not being very good. Then again, I think that the US education system is ass so I'm not likely to say anything about it wasn't bad, but, y'know.

I think maintaining English/Language skills is important and there should always be a class that provides that education. I don't think the average student is going to get much out of deconstructing the potential meanings behind a Frost poem.

Basic English/Language should really just focus on maintaining and improving on various forms of written communication and maybe a little of spoken/visual. More deep stuff like English Lit should always be available but never mandatory.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • How do people feel about....I usually just refer to it as "English class" but basically what I mean is the literature+writing class. I remember it not being very good. Then again, I think that the US education system is ass so I'm not likely to say anything about it wasn't bad, but, y'know.
    i am a bit biased as English is my favorite subject in school, but in college its not too bad. it's mostly just a lot of writing and literature responses and whatnot. for community college at least, that's been my experience.

in the public school system (does college count with that idk) it wasn't too bad. sometimes the teacher i had for English wasn't very good, but eh what can you do. i would've liked more creative writing in those classes, but that's just my personal preference.

FlameChrome

Years
  • Yeah they kind of do a little too much math in school imo. The majority of people afaik never need much more than algebra to make it through their lives but it's commonly mandatory to do more than that in (American) schools. When I was in high school (which, god damn, that was nearly a decade ago at this point), you had to take a math class for 3 of the 4 years, and then in the last one you had to choose between taking a science class or a math class. And the only science class to take was physics, which is pretty much math masquerading as science.

How do people feel about....I usually just refer to it as "English class" but basically what I mean is the literature+writing class. I remember it not being very good. Then again, I think that the US education system is ass so I'm not likely to say anything about it wasn't bad, but, y'know.

Honestly i enjoy math, but i do gotta agree, its too much. Also english in high school is just reading a book and picking it apart. Like who in the world is gonna do that just for fun? Barely anyone, plus my language arts classes in middle school was pretty much that too, which in honesty sucked. So I get to do it for 7 years, then i will probably be doing it in college too so thats more years of it. Though if I say much more, i would sound like a broken record.

Years
  • Side Note: Anybody seen #ExposeChristianSchools on Twitter? Kind of insane of how some schools in the US can get away with some of the things mentioned because religion.

I was in a catholic school in my last two years of highschool and while it was bothersome to attend mass and a christian religion class (I did world religions in grade 11 and enjoyed it, but they threw me in this lame one for grade 12) it wasnt too bad where i went, but then again im in Canada, though I never saw it being so different.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I was in a catholic school in my last two years of highschool and while it was bothersome to attend mass and a christian religion class (I did world religions in grade 11 and enjoyed it, but they threw me in this lame one for grade 12) it wasnt too bad where i went, but then again im in Canada, though I never saw it being so different.

Let's say that the Americans, mostly in the South, are usually more impulsive with Christianity compared to the Canadians, not to be rude to my American brethren, who is a mostly reasonable bunch.

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
    Years
  • I had great memories in 2 schools, one in which i could on friday take my video game console to school and relax playing with others and also to bring one dvd about POKEMON at first only a few people wanted to come watch together in one place inside school but later on slowly some more friends from class came too ( i still don't know if they did it for me or cause they were bored but i hope it was the first one) and the other one i was like a free spirit running in gym and doing whatever i wanted also i faked my ability to play good at sport for example i was always yelling/saying this when we played a game like volleyball/ or football '' WE MUST Lose we must lose '' and others were angry with me when we were losing and i didn't care hehe, but after a year or so after i per accident said something smart someone discovered me and later on i was more serious at stuff and slowly became one who cared about stuff.

FlameChrome

Years
  • Since high schools (at least in my county) has adopted some of career classes, like they have stuff for quite a few careers. (ie. Biomed, Teaching, early childhood education, etc.) Like maybe turn middle school into the high school, still keeping the same classes and what not thats already there. Then getting rid of high school of what it is today, because everything in high school, at least for me except math, history, science, and the career classes, are pretty much review, in which why keep teaching the same thing over and over again. Could just be my high school, but i feel what high school currently is could be more integraded to career classes so that way you arent wasting money on taking even more classes because you change your major or whatever. Thats just what i thought of.

Back