• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting, Mapping, or Spriting?

Years
  • Dont know if it really is my strongest, but surely is the one I enjoy more: scripting. It's really simple, scripts create new events in the game, without new scripts the game, despite looking cool, would "feel" too much like the original... Alright, that may depend on the hacker's skills (Baro's Quartz didnt have that many new scripts but it still felt as something quite different), but I'm an extremist, I want to see A LOT of new events on the hack, that's why I decided to take the path of scripting.

Being honest, I dont think I'm that great of a scripter, there's a lot of commands I'm really not interested in getting involved with, and I should be updating my head's scripting database sometime. Still, I think it's the area that you could say I'm better at.

I feel exactly same, I like many new events in hacks, that's why I prefer scripting over mapping :)
    With XSE, scripting has become a lot more fun, and now it's easier to learn, compared to pokescript, and that made me return to hacking (Yep, I quit it a year ago or something, but now I'm back :P )

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    the first time I came into hacking, I concentrated more on mapping, but after a while I got bored at mapping, so I decided to try out the one thing everyone 'feared' to do, and that was scripting... :\
    at first, I always ask thethethethe for scripting help, and days went by I thought that I may be starting to annoy him or trouble him, so I decided to learn how to script.

Scripting is very fun for it's the most important thing to do in hacking. ;)

but I really don't know what's my strongest point, but I am good in both mapping and scripting, but there are still many things to learn. ;)

by the way, I suck at spriting. >.<

Hellsing

The bird of Hermes is my name
    Years
  • Although I'm probably best at spriting (still not very good XD), in my opinion, scripting is the most valuable skill.

3. Scripting is the base of the hack, without scripting, the hack phails. Scripting makes the hack fun to play, as it's always a blast when you experience an event that twists the plot, gives you a new quest/goal, etc. I first got into scripting when someone asked how to script. I, being young, naive, and innocent, thought A-text was scripting. Man how I failed back then. Then I looked up some tutorials, and decided to try it out. One thing lead to another (not really).

2. Mapping is also a useful skill, as it creates a feel for the hack, an atmosphere. But who said that it was a good atmosphere? If the mapper lacks skill, the atmosphere lacks life. However, a great mapper can create a beautiful atmosphere, and inspire a lot of people as well. I (as most people) started mapping, and to tell the truth, it wasn't really mapping. I would add a few new trees, add some people and be satisfied. Now I look back and say wtf?

1. OW/Spriting isn't as popular, and here's why: Spriting is not needed to create a good hack. You can create an amazing hack, great scripts, great maps, new tiles etc. And you don't need new sprites. Obviously tile-making falls into the spriting category, but most people don't make their own tiles, they use Alistair's or Kyledove's (though that isn't bad). Basically, you don't need sprites in a good hack, although it's always nice to see.

After that obscenely long post, I'm just going to shut up for a few days.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • I'm a far better scripter than mapper. But I still think I'm a pretty good mapper. I can also sprite fairly well, considering I suck at all other types of graphics editing. :P Since I am a programmer scripting came easy to me. ^^

You suck at graphics? 0_0

But if you really suck at it, then why do you know how

to resize OWs using Hex?

I would say, I'm not good at any of these skills.

Years
  • You suck at graphics? 0_0

But if you really suck at it, then why do you know how

to resize OWs using Hex?

I would say, I'm not good at any of these skills.
    Being able to resize overworlds has nothing to do with the graphics themselves.

Well big surprise coming, I think scripting is what I'm best at. Basically I did a programming subject at school where we worked with Ceebot, and Visual Basic 2003. Towards the end of that was when I became interested in hacking. So I picked up scripting fairly easily.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Being able to resize overworlds has nothing to do with the graphics themselves.

Well big surprise coming, I think scripting is what I'm best at. Basically I did a programming subject at school where we worked with Ceebot, and Visual Basic 2003. Towards the end of that was when I became interested in hacking. So I picked up scripting fairly easily.

Lol, of course you're best at scripting :D You're the best one!

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I would say scripting is my strongest skill, it's the most logical form of hacking. I need to spend a lot of time with my maps to make them look good.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    I would say scripting is my strongest skill, it's the most logical form of hacking. I need to spend a lot of time with my maps to make them look good.

Your mapping is good, too. From where/when did you start learning scripting?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Well, since I'm fairly new to hacking I'm not that good at anything. My best skill is probably mapping and I would like to say that scripting is a good skill of mine, but is isn't. Ever since my Suicune script failed, I've lost my confidence in scripting.

I'd love to learn how to become better at scripting, how to map even better and how insert OW sprites, in-game sprites and new tiles for ROMS. Hopefully I'll be able to one day.

Years
  • Mapping:
    I don't think I'm a bad mapper, just not good.
    I don't make many errors, but my maps are kinda boring.

Spriting

I'm possibly one of the worst spriters there are, this is my weak point.
    I have no artistic ability whatsoever

Scripting:

I'm not that good at scripting, but out of all three this is what I'm best at.
    It's pretty hard for a 13 year old who gets bored easily to go into scripting...

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
    Years
  • I'd say that my best spot is Scripting.. If I was good at scripting and inserting tiles I would love myself (not saying I dont XP) but I can't and nothing works. =[ At least people say Im pretty good at mapping =P

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    My best skill is mapping, why? Because I saw loads of people making hacks and I wanted to know how to do it, people wrote down the tools they used, they said that they mapped with Advance Map so I looked it up in google and spent days looking for it...anyways enough chit chat! My biggest inspiration was Baro. My second best skill is scripting and I thought it was really hard untill I read the tutortorial's and I thought it was really simple the next day so I tried it out and what do you know? I made my first script, I was so happy:)

Razor Ramon

Undefeated in D/P
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    At first my skills were mixed with mapping and spriting, then i lost my talent and did revamps to awesome now i cant do much because i stopped practicing.... i have many ideas but can never get any off the ground *sadface*

Years
  • Compared with maping and spriting ,I think it should be scripting...
    Because I don't have enough time to touch my computer,I have to use my PSP to read the tut about scripting and try to make some easy scripts.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Thank you all for the comments.

I will update this thread.

When you tell us about your strongest skill, tell us who do you think the most skilled hacker, that shares the same skill as yours. If you don't want to say it, it's up to you.

Thank you.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    My best thing is spriting because it is fun and im good at it i like creating scratches & revamps the most and will work for any game i get the chance to work on.:cool:

That's cool. Spriting needs art talent.
    How long have you been spriting?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, I guess I'm about average at mapping...
    I have no talent at spriting whatsoever. I can do pixel-overs, but that's about it.
    I like to think that I'm pretty good at scripting, but everyone else is way better than me. (glares at thethethethe)

So I guess I'll have to go with the fourth option that I just made up. Storyline writing!

Seriously. I love writing long, complicated, and detailed storylines.

Snowfield34

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2009
    I would sáy I that the researchers/hackers are the most inportent...

I propperly best like scripting...

Back