• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shadow Tag Discussion Thread

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
  • can't wait to see DA rant once again

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gothitelle-shadow-tag-suspect-test.3549908/

Yeah, the chances for Gothitelle to get a suspect test and possibly get banned are increasing as it starts to haunt tournament play as well.

Gothitelle has the ability Shadow Tag, which many players render as cancer/AIDS due to the opponent's inability to switch (unless it's a Ghost-type or packs Shed Shell), as well as the tools necessary to PP stall an offensive stallbreaker or get 6-0s against opposing stall.

Wobbuffet on the other hand has excellent bulk and an extremely precise movepool, which allows it to eliminate other Pokemon and facilitate a sweep.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Eh, part of the reason that I converted from Smogon competitive play to TPCi's VGC format is because of the endless bans and suspect testing. While I feel that Smogon has a good layout for organized singles play, I also feel that they are almost excessively liberal with disqualifying certain Pokémon or moves from play. Then again, it's been many years since I've played Smogon format, so I am interested to see what people who do still play it have to say about this.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Really perplexed as to why they don't just ban Shadow Tag. I saw Zarel's post, but that didn't actually point out why he didn't want to do it. Seemed more like he doesn't want to go through the trouble of coding it. :\

Sirfetch’d

Banning Gothitelle isn't going to be enough as people would just use Gothorita(who when equipped with a scarf can outspeed 107 base speed pokemon afaik, rendering them useless). While I personally don't find Wobb "broken" there is no doubt that it is extremely uncompetitive. I'd much rather see a full on Shadow Tag ban as opposed to simply testing Gothitelle.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • So if they ban shadow tag, it gets rid of an ability tons of people have an issue with, and people can stop worrying about not having anything for the slim chance Gothitelle or Wobbufett will show up. We can put this giant debate behind us and carry on with our more-competitive OU tier.

If we don't ban Shadow Tag, Gothitelle will continue to wreak havoc and people can slap it on just about any team and gain easy, free ladder points.

In other words, there's hardly a downside to speak of when banning Shadow Tag, and if you can't argue one side, then the other is most likely right.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Im on the fence about Shadow Tag in itself being broken. Gothitelle however is 100% broken. (Trick, Rest, Offensive presence make it broken and are massive reasons in that and because it can remove threats or cripple them at will where as wobb cannot without support but ill elaborate more in a min.)

Gothorita is essentially a sack of shit and a waste of a slot and Wobbuffet needs both Tickle on its set and Pursuit user supporting to let it do its job properly to its utmost capabilities imo. Custap and D-Bond is a good set but still. :\ I just think if a pokemon needs support to do its actual job aka remove threats, it isnt really all that broken. Wobb is passive, it lacks recovers and the power creep makes it insanely hard to do its job. If you dont attack it what is the worst than can happen? You get Encored? Id sooner that than get locked in with scarf permanently and eliminated like Goth can do also possibly letting it get to +6+6 with cm too.

Id just flat out ban Gothitelle to start with then test Gothorita and Wobb under a blanket Shadow Tag ban if they still prove to be broken. Then you can technically unban all of them because it will just be the ability that is broken and the pokemon will still be usable with another ability.

Loling at how the ladder has been aids for the past year and a half because of Gothitelle. A ridiculous amount of top ladder teams have Goth on them and only now "because its leaking into tour play" and its 48th in usage its now an issue? Shoot me now please lol. x-x

Last edited:

Vengeful One

I'll put something amazing here eventually...
    Years
  • I honestly don't see anything wrong with using shadow tag, its the combination of moves people use with it. The reason I see nothing wrong with shadow tag is because I find it far more irritating when people constantly switch out their pokemon the moment they think they are at a disadvantage with a lower stat or status effect.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I honestly don't see anything wrong with using shadow tag, its the combination of moves people use with it. The reason I see nothing wrong with shadow tag is because I find it far more irritating when people constantly switch out their pokemon the moment they think they are at a disadvantage with a lower stat or status effect.
    Welcome to competitive battling, where one switches to gain the advantage over your opponent! :\ What do you want them to do, stay in and get slaughtered in bad match ups? Switching isnt broken, this isnt in-game and it can be taken advantage of (double switches, actually predicting with moves, hazards etc). Which coincidentally is what separates shit battlers from the very best.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Switching out has been a staple of the game since it's inception.

I don't see how a mechanic that rewards strategic thinking can be irritating personally.

As for the actual topic I'm surprised to have not encountered it much yet but I suspect that's because I'm still laddering against very questionable players.

Last edited:
    Back