• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shiny Pokemon in Fire Red

Years
  • My worst luck with shinies has come in FireRed, as the two that I found, I wasn't able to catch.

The first one was a shiny Paras in the Safari Zone. I was fooling around earlier on by tossing Safari Balls at every Pokemon I could find, and eventually made my way down to 1, while also having just one step left on my timer. Lo and behold, a shiny Paras shows up, and in fear of it fleeing, I tossed my last Safari Ball at it right away. It shook twice, broke free, and then my Safari game ended. The other time was when I came across a shiny Weedle. Well, I didn't come across it- the old man in Viridian did. I just had to sit there and watch while he caught it.

While I'm not a big fan of either Weedle or Paras, I still would've much rather had them than have them show up under those circumstances.

Years
  • Shinies i have found in Fire Red(Also in some hacked roms based on firered) so far:

Ditto
    Stantler
    Shroomish
    Rattata-Raticate
    Gyarados
    Cubone-Marowak
    Whismur
    Parasect
    Caterpie-Metapod-Buttefree

Last edited:
    Years
  • My Shinies:
    Goldbat- Location Victory Road Training(My First Shiny Ever)
    Pidgey- Location Route 1(after just 5-6 encounters)
    Rattata- Location Just Outside Victory Road Near Virdian City
    This Are the only pokemons i caught in my Pokemon Gaming
    I Never ses a Shiny Again in anyGen

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I have pretty good luck finding shinies (I don't hunt them, but I stumble across them fairly regularly), but Fire Red is one of the lesser ones - IIRC, I only found one shiny in FR - a Doduo.

Years
  • Im about to face E4, and guess how many shinies I've encountered in 24 hours of gameplay?

10 time more then I have encountered in my whole life time, that I remember, and guess how much is that? ZERO, time 10, ZERO again, yay. :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    ...24 hours of gameplay...
    Yeah - I would've guessed that that was the problem.

As a general rule, just about every person I've ever seen complain about not catching shinies blows through the games. And I'm convinced that that's the biggest reason they don't catch shinies - they don't have enough encounters along the way to get the odds to work out in their favor.

For contrast - I'm currently playing through Emerald. I'm 22 hours in and have three badges. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm well over 100 hours by the time I finish the game. I haven't encountered a shiny yet, but I expect that I will, just because I usually do, sooner or later.

If you want to catch shinies - slow down. Just take your time. Go everywhere and do everything. Don't use repels. If you don't want to waste your time and your PP fighting low level pokemon, then run from them, but every encounter you avoid is a shiny opportunity you miss. Don't use rare candies. If your pokemon need some levels, go out and grind for them. Every encounter you have is another shiny opportunity. Take some time to catch and train some stuff that just interests you. It doesn't matter if you're going to use it or not - just experiment. Who knows? You might find something that you really like and you'll end up wanting to use it in another playthrough. And you'll be out there having encounters and getting more shiny opportunities. Similarly, take the time to EV train. Again - more encounters = more shiny opportunities, plus it's good for the pokemon. Just spend as much time as you can wandering around the region and encountering pokemon and sooner or later, one of them is going to be a shiny.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I found one shiny - a green Zubat.

I don't know how to go about raising chances, though... :<

Years
  • Yeah - I would've guessed that that was the problem.

As a general rule, just about every person I've ever seen complain about not catching shinies blows through the games. And I'm convinced that that's the biggest reason they don't catch shinies - they don't have enough encounters along the way to get the odds to work out in their favor.

For contrast - I'm currently playing through Emerald. I'm 22 hours in and have three badges. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm well over 100 hours by the time I finish the game. I haven't encountered a shiny yet, but I expect that I will, just because I usually do, sooner or later.

If you want to catch shinies - slow down. Just take your time. Go everywhere and do everything. Don't use repels. If you don't want to waste your time and your PP fighting low level pokemon, then run from them, but every encounter you avoid is a shiny opportunity you miss. Don't use rare candies. If your pokemon need some levels, go out and grind for them. Every encounter you have is another shiny opportunity. Take some time to catch and train some stuff that just interests you. It doesn't matter if you're going to use it or not - just experiment. Who knows? You might find something that you really like and you'll end up wanting to use it in another playthrough. And you'll be out there having encounters and getting more shiny opportunities. Similarly, take the time to EV train. Again - more encounters = more shiny opportunities, plus it's good for the pokemon. Just spend as much time as you can wandering around the region and encountering pokemon and sooner or later, one of them is going to be a shiny.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I did everything you suggested. I go in every route, battle everywhere, haven't used repel even once. Also, I was really going slow, didnt blow through.

Fun fact.

Sapphire: 100+ hours
    Emerald: 150+ hours
    Leaf green: +++ hours
    Crystal 25+ hours

Zero shinies :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I did everything you suggested. I go in every route, battle everywhere, haven't used repel even once. Also, I was really going slow, didnt blow through.

Fun fact.

Sapphire: 100+ hours
    Emerald: 150+ hours
    Leaf green: +++ hours
    Crystal 25+ hours

Zero shinies :D
    Ooh. Sorry. So.... you just have really terrible luck?

Still... 24 hours for a complete playthrough does seem quick. But yeah - 100+ hours and still no shinies... that just seems like lousy luck.

...don't know what else to say...

Years
  • Just found my first ever shiny! Safari Zone (Zone 2) A level 26 Female DoDuo. Don't particularly like them but it's definitely joining my squad!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Got a Shiny Ponyta today! I hunted it for about a few weeks. And after 2454 REs, I finally get it! Yay n_n

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • My first shiny was a Caterpie and lel I caught and eveolved it to a Butterfree which in turn became pink. (And I just watched Ash's Butterfree released with a Pink Butterfree a week before then xD)

I also caught a shiny Zubat on my playthrough in Leafgreen but I used Flamethrower on it lel. Shiny Tentacool and Shiny Fearow.

I played FRLG many times hahaha xD

Years
  • I've found a S Geodude on a FR Nuzlocke. I also found a S Gastly through Leafgreen, purely luck though.

There is no way to raise your chances unless you just grind and grind and stay in grass for hours, unless you hack.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I got my first ever Shiny, a female Machop in my Firered training in Victory Road. I transferred her to Heartgold to use her on a Team there :)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I do believe I encountered a shiny Geodude in FireRed. Failed to catch it though, sadly.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I found a shiny Nidoran-M on my Fire Red in the Safari Zone, which was nice to found but I didn't use it. I transferred it to my Gen IV games to use there and it's still on my Platinum save as a level 100 Nidoking. :)

Years
  • I caught so many shiny Geodudes in FR/LG... Almost on every playthrough I got myself a shiny Geodude and all of them while grinding in Victory Road for E4. Other than that: Onix, Voltorb(my favorite), Ponyta(very happy with it), Hariyama(transfered from Emerald), soft resetted for Charmander, Mewtwo, Articuno(encountered but failed to capture...). That's all I can remember for now.

Back