• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Shinys too hard to get?

Are shinys to hard to get?

• Total voters

Empoleon6667

Gengar Fanboy
Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2014
    Now I have been going on YouTube and seeing people trying to get shinys but its not all what it seems it takes these people over hundreds of soft resetting (L+R+START+SELECT) and I have done that before for like 500 (For shiny driftloon :D) but it took me about 5 hours and to my suprise nothing and some guy on YouTube soft resetting for around 13,000 times for a shiny :18:mudkip! Is shiny hunting way to hard?

Tek

Years
  • Shinies are hard to get, though I wouldn't say they are too hard to get because it's supposed to be difficult. That's what makes a shiny valuable IMO. I have mixed feelings about how much easier it is to get shinies in gen 6....

Years
  • This is a relative question. Chances of getting a shiny are 1/8192, which in theory, makes it too hard to get it. It's all up to luck, so you cant really have people tell you if it's easy or not. It's not a skill :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Shinies are definitely hard to encounter, whether it be by soft reseting, PokéRader, or anything else you could think of. In fourth generation games, I've been able to get a hold of only about four to five of them in total, sadly. ;o; Personally, I feel that shiny Pokémon aren't meant to be hunted; it has a much greater effect if you run into them by luck.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    They were definitely more harder to get last gen. There was no trick of some sort in Gen III, not even the Masuda Method. That meant it was pure luck. With the introduction of the PokéRadar and the Masuda Method, they definitely made shinies more easier to obtain in Gen IV.

They were still hard though. 1/1638 is still unthinkable if you haven't heard the plain chance. Suprisingly though, the only shiny I encountered apart from the Red Gyarados was a Shiny Magikarp. I didn't like it at all, but I found it in Dragon's Den. <3~

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, I've only found two or three shinies in Gen IV. I'm pretty sure I encountered a shiny Machoke in my first play of Diamond, but didn't have anything to capture it in. I know I caught a shiny Cricketot back in '09, but I don't think I've captured any others since.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I mean, I caught 3 of them in the wild, without doing anything and it's the only generation I've done that for. That says something.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • They're supposed to be hard to find yes, but I genuinely hard a really hard time finding them. I mean, compared to the amount I found in BW/B2W2 and XY (which was 0 to about 7-8), HGSS was pretty stingy with the shinies for me haha.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Shinies are very hard to get in Emerald and dead battery Ruby/Sapphire. 4th gen has it great.

DPPt had it easy with chaining. Certain patterns of the grass shakes would have a higher probability of continuing the chain. If you were determined and read some of Smogon's guides, you'd probably reach success. HGSS lost out on chaining, but its RNG abuse methods are comparatively easier. Not everyone is into RNG abuse, though.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I spent many hours PokeRadar chaining in DPPt, and was rewarded. Basically all the swarm Pokemon I was able to just go out and chain with relative ease. Then I discovered RNG abuse and was able to hatch shiny eggs with pretty good accuracy, something I wasn't able to replicate in any other generation. I think out of all the time I spent playing gen IV, I encountered two random shinies, except the latter of the two I was purposely searching for through wild double battles so I could find my secret ID for RNG.

So basically I thought it was pretty easy, in DPPt at least, haven't spent much time playing Johto.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    The only shiny I ever got outside of a trade in 4th gen was an Eevee who hatched in Platinum that became an Espeon. I remember using it a lot. I had the worst luck with shinies lol.

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
    Years
  • Shinies are hard to get, though I wouldn't say they are too hard to get because it's supposed to be difficult. That's what makes a shiny valuable IMO. I have mixed feelings about how much easier it is to get shinies in gen 6....

I know what you mean. I love how they made things like EV training and breeding easier, I mean those things were unnecessarily difficult, but unlike training and breeding, shinies aren't supposed to be a vital part of the game, shinies are supposed to be about luck.

Also I actually found way more shinies in Gen 4 than any other. I got a shiny Luxio in Diamond, a shiny Weedle and Magneton in Platinum, and a shiny Drowsy and Meowth in Soul Silver.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • You can't really call getting shiny Pokemon "hard", seeing as it's all up to luck. There's not really any difficulty added to it, seeing as it's all chance. However, it was made easier through the introduction of the PokeRadar, so I guess there's some form of difficulty. I still prefer finding them randomly during your adventures than actively hunting them, but that's just me.

Years
  • I think it's no different than any other generation. Same amount of luck as every other generation. It just depends on what you use to get it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Although still very challenging, finding shinies in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum became increasingly easier than previous Generations. To me, Generation 4 introduced the method of chaining. Now instead of having a 1/8192 chance of catching a shiny, players would have a chance of 1/200 chance of catching one when chained a string of 40 or higher. The odds are still low, but 1/200 is a hell of a lot better than 2/8192. Furthermore, it was easier to hatch shiny Pokemon due to the Masuda Method. Now players had a 1/1638 chance of hatching a shiny when mixing two compatible Pokemon from 2 different language games. From personal experience, I would say that I caught the most Pokemon from Generation 4. That is the game I played the most, but I also take the most pride from hatching a beautiful shiny Squirtle. Furthermore, the odds of hatching and catching shinies have increased even more since the release of Generation VI!

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Lel only shiny I got in Gen.4 is that Shiny Gyarados. I still haven't had luck in getting shinies in the wild in Gen. 4 :(

Back