• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should alcohol be banned?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    You see it as torture, but I see it as a harsh and effective punishment.

But i'll pull that one back. How about this.

Since they want alcohol, how about a week of physical labor on a isolated farm that grows the ingredients for it? And to make it more effective, cut off all forms of communication outside of the farm.

As for addiction
    https://www.michaelshouse.com/alcohol-treatment/why-is-alcohol-so-addictive/

The addiction isn't caused by a part of the drug, but by the person. They are looking for a easy way to ease stress or to have a good time. Thats why they turn to alcohol.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    That's extreme. To a point of sadism.

So, what you're saying is, force feed alcohol to someone who is underage until they nearly die. Multiple times. And if they become an alcoholic from a terrifying encounter with alcohol(which I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand how alcohol addiction even works, so don't bring that up again, or you'll offend someone), simply keep it from them, and let them suffer even more?

This sounds like a 100% foolproof idea, that is completely ethical.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Since they want alcohol, how about a week of physical labor on a isolated farm that grows the ingredients for it? And to make it more effective, cut off all forms of communication outside of the farm.

Since you want Internet, why don't we put you in a camp until you build it. Fantastic idea. Or is it....? Same concept really, only your liberties are being stricken, and not others.

People can form an addiction to alcohol, but alcohol is not addicting. Addictions are also for the weak of mind and will. Control your vices, don't let them control you. Forcing someone to intake more than they want(and could handle of something) might get them to stop... but then think of how many people drink until the puke everyday anyway. It would however, get them to resent and lash out at you, in a way that is most likely more destructive than drinking in the first place.

Every case is going to be different. They are going to need to be evaluated by people and the outcomes determined on a case by case basis. That is legitimately the only fair way to do it, as banning it stops even those who enjoy it responsibly, not just those who abuse it.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    But on the other hand, it causes liver damage. It can cause a lapse of awareness and control. It's addictive to many people. It can have some very nasty side-effects in general.

The people who drink it to that extent are the people with addiction problems anyways. Why ruin it for everyone else in the world just because someone doesn't know how to use it in moderation?

Alcohol is fine. And being brought up in an Italian family where wine is at the dinner table, all I have to say is that parents should be responsible for what, and how much their children drink. If their children are going to be going to parties that involve alcohol, they should be picked up by their parents if they have no way home.

In other words, drink responsibly, and it's perfectly fine. There is no reason for alcohol to be banned absolutely.. and laws are already in place to prevent bad judgement and impairment that may cause harm to other people. It's fine the way it is now.

Years
    Alcohol is neither good or bad, IMO. It depends on whether or not the person using it can use it responsibly.

As for banning alcohol, no. We've already tried prohibition. It didn't work out. (St. Valentine's Day Massacre, anybody?) Let's not forget it has some use in medicine. If you're gonna bother banning alcohol, ban it completely.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years

Since you want Internet, why don't we put you in a camp until you build it. Fantastic idea. Or is it....? Same concept really, only your liberties are being stricken, and not others.

One, internet isn't illegal to use if you are under a certian age.

Two, your comparing two diffrient things

Three, If I want internet? I buy internet service. Unlike buying/drinking alcohol, a person my age can LEGALLY do that.

Still, my earlier point stands. If people refuse to follow the regulations for a certian item, then stop selling the item.

Still, you don't like my solution? At least mine only effects one person, the person who broke the law. You know what I don't like? The weak drunk driving laws which let a person keep getting ticket after ticket for driving drunk before they eventually crash into another car and kill its occupants. Did the person have a right to drink? Yes. Did these people have the right to drive without risk of death? Yes. But apparently, the drunk's rights superseded theirs.

And as for medicinal uses, guess what? A few hundred years back, bleeding (Yes, cutting you and leting you bleed a bit/lot/out) was considered a treatment for a lot of illnesses. Do you think we should still use that medical treatment? No? But why? It is, like Alcohol, a old and outdated medical cure. My point? We have better treatments now then we did back then, some of which work better (Better anesthetics, which replaces the main use that alcohol had back in the day) and some that actually work. (Which replaced Bleeding, a treatment that only worked for one or two conditions despite it being a accepted treatment for just about everything.)

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    ...Uh... You go to jail for drunk driving, they're not gonna give you a ticket... They'll fine you, yeah, you'll get your license suspended, yeah. But they're not gonna give you a ticket and send you on your merry way.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Alcohol should most definitely not be banned. The cartel's implication alone is a reason enough for it. I think alcohol is fairly controlled. An age restriction, and good education about it. Some countries have age restrictions that I find high, but I think Ontario's (and most of Canada's) 19 year-old drinking age is just fine. But, as for education, I can't vouch that I've had much of it on the poison. We should teach children about sex, alcohol and drugs from a young age. Give them the facts when they're ready to face them. Probably between the ages of 10-13. Yes, I also support marijuana decriminalization and regulation.

Education should be comprised of both psychological effects, and public implications. Explain that many people, due to intoxication, will feel inclined to drive even if it's not recommended. Make it evident and clear that dangerous things can happen while drunk and that you have to control yourself. You get as drunk as you think you need to be.

Banning it completely means no regulation of alcohol, and therefore no tax revenue, and shunning it from society. In 2012, it'd be part of the War on Drugs in the US. No education, no control. It also doesn't help that alcohol is quite addictive. Banning it would be a step backwards.

Xx Typhlosion xX

Typhlosion FtW!
    Years
    Well in my view, I'd like Alcohol to be banned (and smoking!) since really there isn't 'real' positives about it, you should be happy with your friends/family without alcohol anyway, I don't dislike people who drink by the way, but it really dosen't do much good than bad. Although banning it will cause problems others have stated already...

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
    Years
    And its opinions like "it's illegal, but everyone does it anyway so I will too" that contribute to the downfall of a decent society, and turn a decent society into a corrupt one.
    They already are, especially in the USA.
    I think it's funny you have this point of view and then ask for
    Harsher punishments for crimes would help a lot in thinning out the problems in society.
    You said something about old point of views a.s.o. I may remind you that the punishments you described are, by our society now, seen as torture. Look at chinese punishments from hundred of years ago (or look at these from today, lol) or the punishments from dark ages. All the same as yours. Did you know being gay was punished in the middle age by
    1. time: balls cut up
    2. time: penis cut up
    3. time: you die

Well, I don't know how you see it, but I would do it again after the first punishment and nevertheless people did. So they would do with your punishments. And it doesn't matter if it's okay today, it was much more wrong that time than alcohol is for you now. That's the problem with your punishments. The day they are instructed, they could be used for other less crimes too. Because someday could come the law that forbids voting, and then you can't change it anymore.
    Oh, I just remember someone recived the death penalty for trying to suicide. That sure taught him a lesson for life!

Fazit: Before we start punishing people harder for very bad crimes, I would recommend the police not to attack peaceful demonstrants.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Its not really strange. Its what is needed to deliever a shock to everyone, a wake up call, that says 'from now on, this **** is no longer acceptable.' Essentially, its beating the people on the head with the stick so much that they will always accept the carrot.

Being gay isn't a crime. I'm not saying make whatever was illegal back then illegal now, I'm saying adapt older punishments for modern-day crimes. And I say adapt, because although I'm somewhat sadistic, their are some punishments that not even I would condone.

As for the ball and penis removal, I consider that a fitting punishment for rapists. I consider removal with no anesthetic to be a fitting punishment for child rapists. Torture it may be, but a sadistic crime calls for a sadistic punishment.

Also the death penalty for suicide? Well, the person DID want to die. In the end, he got what he wanted. His dream/desire/wish was granted.

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
    Years
    The example of gay was to show anything could be illegal and with your attitude it seems you are against illegal, whatever it may be or why. So I was suggesting your attitude supports punishment for gays way back when being gay was illegal (the middle age). I didn't said anything about it being a crime now. (Although it is, in some states.)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I don't think alcohol itself is bad, just some of the excessive behavior around it. Unlike drugs or tobacco products, which have an instant (potential) harm - even at "small", innocent doses - I don't see alcohol as being the same way.

I don't see the purpose in wanting to get totally wasted. I don't want to be incoherent, or have a lapse in judgement, vomit, or negatively influence my body and organs. Its just a state I never want to reach in my life.

But, have a cocktail when out a cocktail party or having some wine with dinner? No harm done, for most people. So, the behavior is the problem, not the product. I don't think it should be banned.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    It's essentially poison.

While I agree that if a person wants to poison themselves with it, they should be able to, the simple fact is that people drive drunk even though they know it is illegal. You drive drunk, you can wreck a lot easier. And odds are, your going to wreck into another car possibly killing the people in the other car.

If alcohol only harmed the user, I'd be fine with it. But it doesn't just harm the user. It can easily harm another person.
    Anything can harm other people. I can stab someone with a pencil or scissors, choke them with rope, or drown them in a lake. Should we ban water while we're at it?

You're advocating for a nanny state. If we banned anything that could possibly bring harm to another person, we wouldn't be doing anything. The real problem isn't alcohol, it's people who abuse it. You're saying that everyone should be punished for the actions of a few idiots. I don't drive when I've been drinking, I shouldn't be punished for those who do.

You can take my alcohol from my cold, dead hands, because that's the only way you're going to stop me from having it.

And they are breaking the law. Your point is?

Laws are their for a reason. While you might not agree with them, as long as you live in a certian country/state you should at least have enough respect to follow whatever laws they have. Don't like the law? Don't break it, change it.
    In theory, laws should be based around a set of ethical values. In practice, at least here in the US, they're based on whatever sounds good in a commercial for re-election.

If a law conflicts with my moral values, I will break that law. If a law interferes with my personal freedoms without a reasonable justification, I will break that law. I'm not going to be an unquestioning slave to a system that has lost its purpose.

Sorry, but what's so wrong about underage drinking that we should resort to, as the US Constitution defines it, "cruel and unusual punishment?" It's a minor thing that should carry, at most, a few hours of community service as a penalty. Personally, I don't even see it as a problem. I drank underage and I'm a productive member of society today and was an upstanding student back then. As long as people are responsible, I really don't care what they do. You're willing to resort to torture because someone broke an arbitrary rule? Pardon my French, but screw you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I get drunk many days and I'm a better person than you, nuf said.

Gavin, get in here.

edit: just popped into my head. Any argument you have, apply the internet to it, or video games, or TV. The internet is self indulgent, non-productive (inb4 someone says they always use it for research, get the hell off PC)) and a waste of time & money; why are you using it? Because you enjoy it. Before you say alcohol is a danger to people around you, research your statistics. You might as well ban everything that poses a minor threat.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    No I don't think it should be banned. And if history is any clear indicator or our past actions banning it would only make crime worse.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    As someone who enjoys the occasional wine with dinner or a beer on the weekend, and who goes out and gets drunk with friends from time to time (but not every weekend), no, I wouldn't want to see alcohol banned. I think a banning would cause more problems than actually solve any, since people are going to drink anyway and will find a way to do so. It's kind of like how weed is illegal, but people smoke anyway and find ways to acquire it. It wouldn't really solve anything. And to enforce a law banning people from drinking something that's okay in moderation seems like a giant waste of time to me. To have to go out and arrest people and punish them... I think those efforts could be focused on actual crimes.

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
    Years
    I do not drink nor plan to, but it should not be banned. A just government should protect and uphold justice, and do nothing beyond that.

Back