• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Should Delphox have different forms?

Years
  • Throughout the years, we have had to put up with female Machamps and male Lupony. But Delphox is just too much. I think most agree that Delphox is a very feminine Pokemon. If you choose Fenniken as your starter, there is a very small chance that it will be male. However, if you put Delphox in the day care and hatch a Fenniken, there is a very small chance it will be female. It is my opinion, however, that a male Delphox is a bit odd, as Delphox appears to be a very feminine Pokemon. I wonder if perhaps there should be two different forms of Delphox, and maybe even Braixen. Who agrees with me? Attached are some "fan art" photos of these forms. What do you think?

Last edited:

Azar

Elite Four
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    I don't know. I think that Delphox has a normal form for the two genders. We have other Pokémon that have a feminine form, but they have the two genders without problems.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Throughout the years, we have had to put up with female Machamps and male Lupony. But Delphox is just too much. I think most agree that Delphox is a very feminine Pokemon. If you choose Fenniken as your starter, there is a very small chance that it will be male. However, if you put Delphox in the day care and hatch a Fenniken, there is a very small chance it will be female. It is my opinion, however, that a male Delphox is a bit odd, as Delphox appears to be a very feminine Pokemon. I wonder if perhaps there should be two different forms of Delphox, and maybe even Braixen. Who agrees with me? Attached are some "fan art" photos of these forms. What do you think?

okay, once again, Delphox is not feminine, it's evolved form is not a dress, it's modeled after a Wizard's Robe (therefore gender neutral) the fact that it uses a stick as a magic wand during attacks should be a HUGE indication:
    Spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIkQ7yn6iM

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Regardless of the fact that the fur is meant to be a robe, Delphox still looks disappointing. Those alternate designs in the first post are better.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • This thread is BS. Delphox was based on a wizard, and that's what it looks like. It doesn't wear a "dress", but a robe. It looks feminine because it's a fox, and foxes have soft features. But there's nothing wrong with male Delphoxes at all.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How is that a problem? A pokemon evolution usually looks something like is predecessor, which would be Braixen in this case.

um... cause we're talking about Delphox? That's in the title of this thread? So by your logic alternate forms of Gyarados should be Magikarp variants, or alternate forms of Galade should look like Ralts. Why not start making alternate forms of Chesnaught that look like Sunkern? Maybe a mega evolution of Xerneas that looks like Munna? If everything can look like anything, what's the point of discussing looks at all then?

Years
  • Whoa, way to take it to extremes. Obviously there are some pokemon evolutions that look nothing like their predecessors. Alternatively, there are heaps that look very similar to.

E.g.
    Growlithe and Arcanine
    Bulbasaur through to Venasaur
    Ekans and Arbok
    Pikachu and Raichu
    Mankey and Primeape
    Ponyta and Rapidash
    Houndor and Houndoom
    etc...

If one were to propose an alternate to Delphox it makes more sense to use Braixen as the inspiration rather than the current Delphox.

Years
  • This thread is BS. Delphox was based on a wizard, and that's what it looks like. It doesn't wear a "dress", but a robe. It looks feminine because it's a fox, and foxes have soft features. But there's nothing wrong with male Delphoxes at all.

This is totally true. That "dress" on Delphox is actually a wizard's robe made of fur, fitting in with the "mage" role it has within the Kalos starters and their RPG-themed designs which also has Chesnaught as the "fighter" and Greninja as the "thief".

I have a male Delphox and I don't see anything wrong with him.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Delphox, Greninja, and Chesnaught are equivalent, so if one wound up getting a different form, same would have to be applied to other two, I feel. :( Plus, if all Kalos starters got different forms, some people would consider them to be more superior to all others from previous gens, which I'm sure GameFreak wouldn't want. At some point in future, though, I'd definitely like to see them get mega-evolutions.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I'd like a gender difference. To be honest, I find Pokemon that veer heavily towards one gender but are actually the other to be... very agitating. So a subtle gender difference (mostly in the case of Braixen, who undeniably looks like it's wearing a skirt. Not a robe like Delphox, but a skirt) would be fine. No Forme though. I don't think starters get those. (I await the moment where somebody quotes me to say I'm wrong.)

Also, I do think that Delphox does look kind of masculine in several ways. For instance, the white under its chin looked like a wizard beard the first time I saw it. So it could go either way; its robe can be a dress for females in your mind or it can have a white wizard's beard for males.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think its quite ironic how there are some Pokemon who look quite masculine but nobody ever protested and said we need a female Machamp form. So nope. I think we will all be able to survive if Delphox has a wizard's robe on - which is, ironically, not exclusively feminine at all.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I never found Delphox to be feminine, and I see no problem with feminine Pokémon that are male, or masculine Pokémon that are female, so I say keep them the same. Gender differences aren't a big deal as they don't impact gameplay, but because I don't see people complaining that the knight-like Chesnaught looks a bit masculine but can still be female, I don't see why the (not particularly) feminine Delphox should have any differences to look more masculine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I think its quite ironic how there are some Pokemon who look quite masculine but nobody ever protested and said we need a female Machamp form. So nope. I think we will all be able to survive if Delphox has a wizard's robe on - which is, ironically, not exclusively feminine at all.

Nobody points out that Machamp is female because no one likes to think about it. I mean, if Machamp is female, then it's breasts are constantly showing >.>

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I agree with Pleitharchia on this one. Although Delphox was based off a wiard, it does seem more feminine, however if Game Freak went and changed the forms of Delphox they would need to do this with all of the other starters o there would be problems. It would just not be worth it to do so.

Years
  • I personally hoped for a female Fennekin when I started, but I wasn't too disappointed with a male one either, as I don't like being picky with genders and I know Delphox wasn't made to be feminine (unlike Gardevoir, for example). Although I don't completely love Delphox's design, I think the whole mage-thief-melee trio is pretty neat.

Years
  • I don't care enough to want Game Freak to make Delphox seem superior to the other starters. I got a male Fennekin in my current play through Y, and I didn't bother soft resetting. Way too easy to simply ignore the gender sign and look past it. There aren't any actual implications being a female has other than fitting the design of the Pokemon, so giving it a different form just because its original is too feminine seems a little absurd to me.

Back