• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I even bother with Ultra?

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
    Years
    I have never once E.V Trained a Pokemon, and I have been playing since Gen 1 first came out.
    Except for Marshadow and Diance which I FREAKING COULD HAD SWORN I GOT ONE...but it somehow vanished into thin air, basically. In my Pokemon bank, In National dex order I have every single pokemon. I never really cared for the battle tree, hotel, stadium or any of the other post game grind battle challenges, and really the only reason I have finally e.v trained a whole team, except for the regenerator toxipex I am trying to find ( of which btw I will trade you a shiny dioxys for), it is basically just so me and one of my IRL friends can do some team battles together once in a while.

So really, my question is in the title. Should I even bother with this? A new story and a fused pokemon doesn't seem like anything that would remotely be considered an upgrade from the previous title. Feels more like the same old pokemon crystal where it doesn't add anything worth while.

So what exactly does it have for the "collector" like myself. Is the story really going to be anything decent over what we got before?

pkmin3033

This is Pokemon; nobody plays for story, it's always exactly the same every time. xD;

I think in a specific sense it is far too soon to tell you whether or not to bother with these, because we still don't have much of an idea what these games are going to have in them. What will change, and what will stay the same. Historically speaking, version re-treads - because remember, we don't know if these are sequels, third versions, or something else entirely - are always of better quality than the base titles, so it has that going in its favour, but what form that might take is anyone's guess...seriously, go read all the posts here, everyone is guessing. xD

In a broad sense, though...it's more Pokemon. You know exactly what you're getting in the gameplay department - does that appeal to you right now? Do you WANT to go through Alola again? Think back on your experience of previous regional re-treads, if you played any. Your experience with games like Platinum and B2W2 will be comparable on some level to your USUM experience I would imagine. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, go for it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Yes.

Why wouldn't you? Although we know very little about this game still; there is a high chance it will contain some version exclusives and possibly a much better playthrough of Alola. The story may be better, the Pokemon available more varied, the ease of obtaining certain Pokemon may change, it may offer tweaks, megas, better chances of unique shiny pokemon, and most importantly it may support an actual National Dex and have areas that don't exist in S/M with their own Pokemon that are available there.

If you're a collector, how could you pass up these? Especially since they're gonna be potentially better versions of S/M.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Nobody's going to be able to give you a real answer until the games come out. It's just going to be speculation, and unless you're okay with that, there's no harm in waiting until the games come out. It's not like they're gonna go away, there's no rush to buy them as soon as they come out.

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
    Years
    Nobody's going to be able to give you a real answer until the games come out. It's just going to be speculation, and unless you're okay with that, there's no harm in waiting until the games come out. It's not like they're gonna go away, there's no rush to buy them as soon as they come out.

That's the answer I was given when the Mini Nes came out lol..Just kidding, but I get your point.

Years
    I'm with everyone else who commented. We may have not had much information revealed so far, but these games will be like B2/W2 meaning huge improvements and a story that's majorly different.

If S/M disappointed you, that's something to usually expect from the first games of a new generation. US/UM could easily change your views on Alola as a whole.

blue

gucci
    Years
    We've still got 2 months until the release of these games, in that time we will probably get a lot more information which will help you make your decision. Considering how we've got very little info on USM right now, I'm finding it hard to say whether these games are worth getting or not, but if you enjoyed SM then I'd probably recommend picking them up. If BW2 are anything to go by then it's likely USM will follow suit in which they would be worth picking up if you played SM.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    It is so easy to judge a game before we know more. I say wait for the game release before deciding.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Have you considered transferring your pokemon to bank, selling your current gen 7 game, and then getting the new one and transferring your pokemon back? That allows you to get the version which is arguably better as we know it has new features, and you can save a bit of money. Unless S/M are special to you in some way.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    ? this

Unless you're a competitive battler or an avid collector. There's no point in getting the .5 ver. of the game. If this is anything like BW2 (Which was a sequel to BW story) then maybe...

Last edited:
    Years
    It's pretty much agreeable that the versions released after the initial pair of a generation tend to be much superior due to additional content, and that's why they tend to rank better on favourite Pokemon game lists compared to the first paired versions.

History has shown that these re-treads are substantial improvements, so while US/UM may have cosmetic similarities with S/M, it will likely have much more content which means more replay value.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I don't see any evidence that these games are comparable to B2W2 in terms of new content. It doesn't help that Masuda and Ohmori and Ishihara haven't said a word about them, while discussing the Switch's potential instead.

Since you clearly aren't crazy about the concept of these games, whether or not you should buy a copy depends on how attached you are to the franchise as a whole. Do you have other games to play? Alternatively, are you fine with playing hacks of old games to spice things up? There are SM hacks may not add new features or alter the story, but they certainly shake up the main gameplay more than USUM will.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't see any evidence that these games are comparable to B2W2 in terms of new content. It doesn't help that Masuda and Ohmori and Ishihara haven't said a word about them, while discussing the Switch's potential instead.

You do have to remember that remakes, third versions and sequel-type games don't get as much news released between announcement and the game release day. First paired versions having more news released made sense since it was a new generation, but now we already know a lot about 7th Gen at this point.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    We got 6 months' worth of ORAS coverage. Granted, a lot of that was about Mega Evolutions, but that is still new content.

B2W2 only got three real scoops, but at least we only had to wait 1.5 months for the first one.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I will say that I have downgraded my pre-order from the steelbook double pack edition to just Ultra Sun. Can't see myself playing through Alola for a millionth time. Same thing happened to me with Black & White. Played them a bunch, only got White 2, beat it once, hardly touched it again.

Years
    I will say that I have downgraded my pre-order from the steelbook double pack edition to just Ultra Sun. Can't see myself playing through Alola for a millionth time. Same thing happened to me with Black & White. Played them a bunch, only got White 2, beat it once, hardly touched it again.

I guess you're the kind who doesn't like replaying the same region immediately after it was first released.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I personally decided to wait a few months after USM's release before purchasing it (if I do decide to purchase it that is) because I want to know almost everything about the game before I decide to actually purchase it.

I had some pretty high expectations for Su/Mo, and so I pre-ordered it and went into the game completely blind hoping to be blown away by it. I didn't look at any spoilers or leaks or game information until after I had the full experience of the game. I only did this though because I was incredibly hyped for a brand new experience.

With USM, I know that the majority of Su/Mo's features will be the same, other than a few bonuses here and there. So I'm not really hoping on to the USM hype train. I'll wait till its release, wait for some credible information to be released from a few different sites, maybe wait a few months (probably until January or February when the holidays are over and the prices begin dropping), then if the game has features that are absolutely outstanding and have some mind blowing post game, maybe then I will purchase the game.

As a few other posters have mentioned, The third version/sequel of a pokemon generation is generally a much more polished game that over all is more complete, so if nothing else, you might be interested in USM because it is just finely tuned and is probably what Su/Mo was intended to be in the first place.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    We got a bit more news on the games. Depending if you like what you seen so far then getting the games should not be an issue.

Back