• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I sell my PS2 for a WII?

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Sweetie, I suggest you wait till there's more games out there...but then again, I'm the impatient type and an uber Nintendo fanboy, XD

Personally I would sell my PS2 so fast for a Wii, and just rely on emulation if I want PS2 games. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Lightning the wii is better for a lot of other games.
    1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    2. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Mario Kart Wii (its out in europe and is damn good)
    4. Prince of Persia Twin Thrones (port of the PS2/Gamecube version but damn good)
    5. Driver parralel lines (Another port but keeps me happy)
    the list goes on in my book for another 6 or 7 games.
    1. You can get that on Gamecube and I hear the Gamecube version is better. Especially since it was MADE for Gamecube.
    2. Eh. Overhyped, in my opinion. I played it for a while and then got fed up with it and just beat it to get it over with. Haven't touched it since. (I'm not a platformer fan anyway, though.) It's not worth BUYING a Wii for though.
    3. Can't say anything on that. I hated Double Dash though and have no plans to pick it up anyway. :\ But okay, chalk one up for Wii.
    4. Never played it and it's a port anyway. He could get it for the PS2 he already has right now.
    5. Port...

Yeah. I meant EXCLUSIVE games. Games you would run out and buy a Wii for. The only one out right now, for me, is Brawl. Unless this person doesn't have a GAMECUBE, then I wouldn't suggest selling the PS2 for the wii. At least with the GCN, there are enough titles to make it a worthwhile console. Just on its own? I don't think so.

In the beggining?! They're still screwing up!!! The PS3 is the biggest failure of thi generation. And your speaking to a person who started video games on the playstation.
    SO
    Well, at least it got the disc war right? :'D Blu-ray did win, after all. But yeah, the PS3 has no interesting or worthwhile exclusives, but give it a bit more time. Those exclusives will probably make up for its crappiness in the last while. But regardless--I still think the PS2 is the best console out there. It may not be next-gen but it's still got the best library I think.

Years
    Yeah. I meant EXCLUSIVE games. Games you would run out and buy a Wii for. The only one out right now, for me, is Brawl. Unless this person doesn't have a GAMECUBE, then I wouldn't suggest selling the PS2 for the wii. At least with the GCN, there are enough titles to make it a worthwhile console. Just on its own? I don't think so.

You're forgetting about Pokémon Battle Revolution, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and the fact that the Wii Shop Channel gives you access to almost every older game ever made.

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
    Yes, definetely sell that hunk of metal for a Wii. No offense, but seriously, of all the next-gen systems, the Wii has the most variety. Some say that it has few good exclusive games, and to that I say, "WTF!?" I have a Wii, and trust me, it rocks. Galaxy pwns, Brawl kicks ass, Super Paper Mario is awesome, and not owning Wii Sports should be a crime.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Yes, definetely sell that hunk of metal for a Wii. No offense, but seriously, of all the next-gen systems, the Wii has the most variety. Some say that it has few good exclusive games, and to that I say, "WTF!?" I have a Wii, and trust me, it rocks. Galaxy pwns, Brawl kicks ass, Super Paper Mario is awesome, and not owning Wii Sports should be a crime.

Not owning a game isn't worth capital punishment. Especially not Wii Sports. o_o;

But yes. I suggest selling your PS2 for a Wii.

Not that the system is horrible, but simply because you aren't going to be getting many more games for the PS2.

The Wii is going to be offering all those games, plus more. You've already got a decent line-up of official Nintendo games, plus some awesome third-party games. And if you're a fan of Guitar Hero, the Wii still offers you the same experience as the PS2 version.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    You're forgetting about Pokémon Battle Revolution, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and the fact that the Wii Shop Channel gives you access to almost every older game ever made.
    "Almost Every Older Game Ever Made"?
    Righto..

So, through the Wii Shop Channel there's almost all of the 11322 SNES games and variations that were available? And almost all of the 10785 NES games? And the 5221 Genesis games? They're almost all available, right?

Cherrim

Years
    No one I know who owns Battle Revolution has said it is even a decent game. I only hear stories about how, while it's fun for a while, it isn't worth full price. I have to agree since I got bored of it and I only played my friend's copy for a few hours. :| MP3, okay I've heard good things about it and did leave it out. But still, if you're looking at FPSes in general, the Wii should not be your first choice by a long shot. As for Wii Shop Channel... I agree it's a nice touch, but it doesn't off "every" game and in fact is missing a LOT of games I'd consider buying. Even so, I still don't think it's worth getting a Wii for, especially if it means giving up a better console (in my eyes).

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
    I assume you have other sources of income for acquiring your sought-out Nintendo Wii? If not then good luck getting it, unless PS2 Slim has a different value in PAL as opposed to North America. Also, if the games you have are not on high demand then you are [most likely] not getting much of out EB Games. Additionally, do not forget that you will want either a Gamecube controller and/or Classic Controller and a high replay value single-player / multiplayer game with your purchase of the Wii to make it worthwhile, otherwise this charade will bite the dust.

As to whether initiating this trade helps your cause, I would be against trading your PS2 for the Wii. For one, developers are still making games for it in light of PS3's meager but developing existence. You may want to try these out before giving the slightest thought of completely giving up on the PS2:

Kingdom Hearts I & II (or Final Mix, if you feel for playing Japanese-exclusive titles)
    Devil May Cry: 5th Anniversary Edition (if you haven't played DMC already)
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Final Fantasy XII
    King of Fighters XI
    God of War I & II
    Metal Gear Solid Collection (in case you're not familiar with the Metal Gear [Solid] series)
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Resident Evil: [The] Essentials (for Code Veronica: X and 4 if you don't have those)

However, if you do want to replace your PS2 for something valuable for your current games then I would save and trade for a PS3, since you can play your PS2 games on there too. Well, I have heard that you cannot play all of them; how detrimental this is in basking nostalgia I am at loss for. Furthermore, as others have already mentioned, PS3 has Blu-Ray, which won the disc wars, making the PS3 more practical than for sole gaming purposes; not to mention great titles like:

Disgaea 3
    Gran Turismo 5
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patrots
    Final Fantasy XIII & Versus XIII
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Resistance: Fall of Man I & II

on the horizon. Do not forget Sony made their own version of the Wii Virtual Console: Playstation Network.

If the degree of your want for the Nintendo Wii exceeds the will to work what you currently possess then I would save for it, since the Wii and PS2 clearly cover separate realms of gaming.

Point being, think about what you have and work with it before you close the possibility of enjoying cheaper and first or second player fun *let me know of an existing four-player plus PS2 game*.

Video game consoles have tiers just like Pokémon.

Wii = Uber
    PS2 = BL
    XBox = UU
    I agree with those but XBox. With the 360 out I would say this is NU, unless you're referring to the games alone?

not owning Wii Sports should be a crime.
    I don't suppose that makes me a guilty man? Hm?

No one I know who owns Battle Revolution has said it is even a decent game.
    Are they competitive battlers via Wi-Fi?

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
    Are they competitive battlers via Wi-Fi?
    Considering I can battle using D/P anyway, I don't see how that really makes a difference. :( Most people would be porting in their Pokémon from the DS games anyway if they were playing online, would they not?

gotron228

^_^
    Years
    well i think I am gonna sell my ps2 for a Wii because I don't own a game cube or anything else I get payed nothing at my house so the only decent things I receive are at birthdays and Christmas which can get very annoying besides my mother offered to give me $20.00 to buy something on the virtual console so I'm thinking of some decent titles to get.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
    You may want to be absolutely sure you can get the Wii console, a Gamecube Wavebird (don't bother with default controllers) and/or Classical controller (Virtual Console), and another game besides Wii Sports with the offerings posted above; I'm sure Wii Sports will get boring after awhile. However, if your mother is giving you incentives to explore the Virtural Console then you maybe able to get more help from her financially? Anyway, here are some games you want to consider getting:

*Wii
    [The] Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Okami
    Mario Kart Wii
    No More Heroes
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (if you haven't played RE4, or any RE, for that matter)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Paper Mario
    Super Smash Bros Brawl (where the Gamecube controller comes in, save fellow GC games)
    Wii Fit *; ]*

*Gamecube
    Baten Kaitos Origins
    Battalion Wars
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    Fire Emblem IX: Path of Radiance
    [The] Legend of Zelda: [The] Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime
    Paper Mario: [The] Thousand-Year Door
    Pikmin
    Resident Evil Zero
    Tales of Symphonia
    Viewtiful Joe

If you do plan on getting a Gamecube game then you may want to purchase a memory card while you are at it.

Considering I can battle using D/P anyway, I don't see how that really makes a difference.
    Some people prefer to have a colosseum setting over the handheld bit : P. Also, Battle Revolution provides prized TMs, items, berries, and Pokemon (few good ones) purchasable exclusively on Battle Revolution. Of course, if you do not care for BR exclusives and/or rely on others to do your bidding then by all means.

Most people would be porting in their Pokémon from the DS games anyway if they were playing online, would they not?
    True, but refer to my response above.

Last edited:

gotron228

^_^
    Years
    I know what I'm goignt o lose and I am gonna sell it my friends mum justagve me $60.00 towards teh wii seeing his dad is like a millionare and is very very rich!

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
    You may want to be absolutely sure you can get the Wii console, a Gamecube Wavebird (don't bother with default controllers) and/or Classical controller (Virtual Console), and another game besides Wii Sports with the offerings posted above; I'm sure Wii Sports will get boring after awhile. However, if your mother is giving you incentives to explore the Virtural Console then you maybe able to get more help from her financially? Anyway, here are some games you want to consider getting:

*Wii
    Okami
    Mario Kart Wii
    No More Heroes
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (if you haven't played RE4, or any RE, for that matter)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Paper Mario
    Super Smash Bros Brawl (where the Gamecube controller comes in, save fellow GC games)
    Wii Fit *; ]*

*Gamecube
    Baten Kaitos Origins
    Battalion Wars
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    Fire Emblem IX: Path of Radiance
    [The] Legend of Zelda: [The] Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime
    Paper Mario: [The] Thousand-Year Door
    Pikmin
    Resident Evil Zero
    Tales of Symphonia
    Viewtiful Joe

If you do plan on getting a Gamecube game then you may want to purchase a memory card while you are at it.

Some people prefer to have a colosseum setting over the handheld bit : P. Also, Battle Revolution provides prized TMs, items, berries, and Pokemon (few good ones) purchasable exclusively on Battle Revolution. Of course, if you do not care for BR exclusives and/or rely on others to do your bidding then by all means.

True, but refer to my response above.

Wow. You listed all my favorite games. Thanks for saving me my time:classic:

Namine66

I give you a boot to the head!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2008
    I don't really know what you should do i mean the Wii is really really good but I love my Ps2 and you can still get really good games for the Ps2 like Resident Evil 4 etc.....
    But you can also get that on the Wii!
    It'a up to you I wouldn't really sell my Ps2 incase something goes wrong then you have lost both the Ps2 and the Wii. If it was me then i would probely sell a few of my games and try and save up for the Wii.
    But it's not my decision it's your so it's up to you!

pkmn246

pokemon246.com
    Years
    Yes. First you should sell your PS2 and get a wii then you should smack yourself upside the head for being stupid enough to buy anything from Sony in the first place.
    Hey, I am a PS-Wii Pokemon Fan. Just a bit more nintendo-tastic.

Kaz.

CELTICS ARE NBA CHAMPIONS!
    Years
    I've had a PS2 for about 2 or 3 years and I've played the Wii several times. There is no doubt, I love the Wii 10x more than I do the PS2. PS2 gets old after a while, whilst the Wii is coming up with great new ideas for games.

I say yes.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    If i was u, I would keep the PS2, Cuz I think PS2's Are better than the Wii, The Wii doesnt have much games to play, If u think SMG(Super Mario Galaxy) its a SHORT game, Wii gets Boring For a LONG while, Sony Been good for me over the Years, and Nintendo has too, Xbox Just Sucks, a NEW Xbox broke with in one Week, But A wii is Fine, But U should just keep the Ps2, Sony is really good.

Back