• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Should Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal come to the eShop?

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Absolutely, Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal were radical titles at their era, as they brought new Pokemon, the transition to colour, the real-time clock (day, night and time events) and other impressive things. If we have in account that they were also the inflection point that transformed Pokémon into a sucessful saga and not a transient one, there are even more reasons (don't forget that Game Freak has always take care of 2nd Generation in a special way unlike others, also it was the most delayed Generation and the one with the biggest history of all).

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I would love to see GSC come to the eShop! Gold is my favorite game, and the battery has been dead for nearly ten years now (I still haven't gotten around to replacing it yet), and I would love to play through all three games again. (I would also be happy to buy two copies of each, one per 3DS that I own, like I did with RBY.) Like the previous poster, I agree, that GSC was a big turning point for the series, and a moment when it became apparent that Pokemon wasn't just a one-hit wonder, as the Stadium announcer might say.

Financially, I don't think it would be that hard for the developers to pull off, and I think it would sell well. I think RBY and GSC used a very similar code base, so my guess is that the trading code changes in RBY could easily be implemented in GSC. Depending on how the trading code changes were made, it may or may not take more effort to get the time capsule working, but overall, the games would certainly be profitable. Nintendo hasn't had the best of luck lately, with the Wii U not selling that well and such, so I think they would welcome the opportunity to make an easy profit off of a popular series.

Also, if the data structure in RBY is going to be compatible with Sun/Moon, there is no reason why the structure in GSC wouldn't be equally compatible. It seems fitting for the 20th anniversary main games (Sun and Moon) to be compatible with every other release thus far, bringing the series full-circle. Why leave GSC out when they have the opportunity to unite the entire series for the first time since the gen II/III transition?

Although I don't know whether GSC will be re-released or not at this point, I have to wonder, from the perspective of Nintendo and GameFreak, what benefit would there be to not re-releasing them?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Potential costs would involve developing the patches so it hooks into their emulator's link code. Now that the link's already been developed, they just need to port it to GSC and test/debug it. Time Capsule functionality is inherent to GSC's game code already, so they wouldn't need to do much at all to make RBY "compatible" with GSC.

Then they'd have to pay for getting the titles classified (age ratings).

It's probably not that much in the long run, compared to the return. I hope.

That's my hope as well. I don't know if they'll do it or not, or if they'll want to stick with RBY as their 20th anniversary games, but I'm optimistic that we'll see a GSC re-release. I think once they get a sense of how well RBY have done, they'll be able to decide whether GSC are worth it. I guess RBY are better known because they sold the most copies and came out at the height of the Pokemon craze/fueled the craze, but there seem to be enough GSC fans that I think it would be worth it. Plus, the people who play RBY on the eshop may get hooked, and want to see GSC to see how the series evolved (and to play something compatible with RBY, for the time being).

Any idea how well RBY have done? Are sales numbers available somewhere (and comparisons to other eShop games for a sense of how well things on the eShop generally sell)?

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum
Years
That's my hope as well. I don't know if they'll do it or not, or if they'll want to stick with RBY as their 20th anniversary games, but I'm optimistic that we'll see a GSC re-release. I think once they get a sense of how well RBY have done, they'll be able to decide whether GSC are worth it. I guess RBY are better known because they sold the most copies and came out at the height of the Pokemon craze/fueled the craze, but there seem to be enough GSC fans that I think it would be worth it. Plus, the people who play RBY on the eshop may get hooked, and want to see GSC to see how the series evolved (and to play something compatible with RBY, for the time being).

Any idea how well RBY have done? Are sales numbers available somewhere (and comparisons to other eShop games for a sense of how well things on the eShop generally sell)?

I heard that it's doing pretty well so far. An article about it. It doesn't list numbers, but it said that the games broke sales records on the eshop.

Source: gonintendo.com

I'd love to see GSC come out though. I'd snap them up in a heart beat.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
Years
GSC were my favorite games until Emerald, and then until the remakes of GS (SoulSilver is still my favorite game, or tied with OR at least.)

So I would LOVE this. I would buy them instantly. GSC were a major improvement from RBY.

Years
I never really played the original Johto games, but if re-releasing 1st Gen on 3DS Virtual Console with wireless compatibility (and soon Pokemon Bank as well) was met with the success it got, I would definitely be open to 2nd Gen getting released as well.

Although at the same time I find it redundant considering HG/SS can be played on a 3DS.

Years
Yes, yes, and more importantly, YES.

As for features I'd love Bank compatibility to send RBY pokemon to this game, because I feel like that's possible, especially since they'd be transferable the normal way with local wireless.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Although at the same time I find it redundant considering HG/SS can be played on a 3DS.

Unfortunately, that, right there is one reason why we probably won't see GSC get re-released anytime soon. There was NO way to play through Gen 1 Kanto on the 3DS before the re-releases, with RBY not being playable on anything newer than a GBA SP and FRLG not being playable on anything newer than a DS Lite. That, alone, was a good enough reason to put RBY on the VC.

However, HGSS aren't getting any easier to find, being 6 year old games and all. Due to popularity, they also happen to be among the priciest DS-era titles--a used copy of Diamond will go for about $30.00, while an equivalent copy of HeartGold will go for around $100.00.

Plus, GSC (especially Crystal) still offer many things that can't be found in the remakes and are still just as much worth playing as HGSS. They deserve a re-release just as much as RBY.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years

What Nichole said.

You can already play HG/SS on your 3DS. I don't really see the point of the games being released on console. Unless it'd be profitable for the company, then sure. Why not? Other than profit, I don't really see a point, to be perfectly honest. However, since the novelty of these games is through the roof, perhaps it'll happen someday. Maybe when G/S/C is also twenty, it'll be rereleased to virtual console, but I highly doubt this.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I really hope so! I would love to be able to play GSC without fear of my battery dying. I honestly would put more effort into GSC post-game if I didn't have to worry about that. I would catch more Pokemon, train more, etc. I think it's the sprites and art style that keep me coming back. Something about it is simplistic, relaxing, and fun to return to. Always. I think Game Freak would be crazy to not put GSC on the eShop considering how well RBY did.

You can already play HG/SS on your 3DS. I don't really see the point of the games being released on console. Unless it'd be profitable for the company, then sure. Why not? Other than profit, I don't really see a point, to be perfectly honest. However, since the novelty of these games is through the roof, perhaps it'll happen someday. Maybe when G/S/C is also twenty, it'll be rereleased to virtual console, but I highly doubt this.

I can't speak for everyone, but despite HGSS being a fantastic remake, I kind of see GSC and HGSS separately. I play them for different reasons, but again, that's personal. I don't feel the same kind of nostalgia for HGSS as I feel for GSC and vice versa. (The fact HGSS is old enough for me to feel nostalgic about is...omg where has the time gone?) HGSS is still really expensive, I might add. It would be much easier to buy the originals for $11 off the eShop than hunt down an HGSS copy for $40! :) Haha. But yeah, like I said, I can't speak for everyone, but even though they're essentially the same game, I see them as separate entities. But this and the reasons I said in the previous part of my post are reasons why I think GSC on eShop would be a great decision.

Also, I hope they don't wait that long! I'm kind of hoping they release them later this year or some time soon. I am just itching for VC GSC so baaaad.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
100% yes! These games are not only getting harder to find and more expensive then ever (used game shop wanted 89$ for Crystal the other day...seriously?! >_< ), but almost all of them have needed a battery replacement by now, and that only lasts so many years each time. It would really complete the gameboy saga to be fully playable without hunting down rare cartridges. So many would even get to play these games for the first time, I'm hoping this will happen for the 20th anniversary of Gold/Silver if not sooner.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Yes. I'm sure they will in the future. The original GSC were incredible successes, and with how popular the recent releases of the original RBY games were on the eShop, I have no doubt they will. It's only a matter of when.

For those saying that HGSS are playable on the 3DS, that's true, but many people such as myself want to play the originals again. I can't play my original games because of the cartridges not being able to save anymore. Playing the originals is different than playing HGSS in a way I can't really explain. The graphics, music... etc. Just nostalgic c:

Years
I really really hope so. HGSS was amazing don't get me wrong, but it just didn't quite capture the magic for me like Crystal version did back in the day. Even with all the cool added and updated features it still felt like something was missing. I can't explain it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 15, 2019
Um... YES!!! I know that their are remakes, but the originals had something!! Hopefully they do this soon!! These are some of my favorites, next to RBY!! Guess I'm old school!! :D

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 25, 2017
Yes please! Does anyone think sending a petition to Nintendo will work? I sure hope so! Heartgold was awesome but I really want to play Crystal.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Yes please! Does anyone think sending a petition to Nintendo will work? I sure hope so! Heartgold was awesome but I really want to play Crystal.

Honestly, probably not, but it can't hurt to try. My sense from the petitions I've signed over the years is that Nintendo does things in their own time (I can't remember how many GSC remake petitions I signed; they announced HGSS several years after I gave up on filling them out, but at least the games came out eventually, even if they had nothing to do with my surveys).

I still suspect these will come out at some point, but I don't know whether they'll come out this year, or whether GF wants to capitalize on Sun and Moon so much that they don't want to distract their audience with another game to play. I'm really hoping for this year, because I guess I'm dying to play them on my 3DS, but I had been hoping for an announcement by now, and nothing has happened so far. I'm still cautiously optimistic for a summer/early fall release, but my thoughts that they might release them around the anniversary of their release in Japan this year seem to have gone out the window because that's only a couple of days after the slated sun/moon release.

Back