• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Should Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal come to the eShop?

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
They are better to be available one day!! These are still my favorite games <3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
I honestly don't see why not. I agree with what people said about the patch code essentially being in place. If RBY can be brought back, why not GSC?

User Anon 1848

Yes please! Crystal was the ultimate Pokemon game as far as I'm concerned. I already plan on buying Yellow version, Donkey Kong Country and the first F-Zero game from the eshop once I have enough money. Having Crystal on my 3ds would mean I'd have most of my childhood games on a single handheld console in 2016. It's pretty cool to even think about.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 23, 2016
Yes, they really should consider the Pokemon generations prior to the DS and current games. While yes HeartGold and SoulSilver ARE remakes, it's not exactly the same game. For one, people (myself included) enjoy the sprites and the authentic experience of playing the original games and this is coming from someone who JUST bought a copy of HeartGold (I stopped playing Pokemon during R/S/E and got back in at X/Y). My original Silver game was stolen many years ago and both of my Gold versions are obviously dead. I haven't gotten around to replacing the battery and a little afraid to do so and I could play on a emulator, I still would gladly pay to have Gold & Silver on my 3DS.

It's almost a crime that these games aren't already on the Virtual Console, or at the VERY least, mentioned to being considered. I can't speak for everyone, but I feel that if you asked a lot of Pokemon fans, which generation is their favorite, a lot will say Generation 2, or at least give it a honorable mention. For me, it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart and overall, I enjoyed them more than other Pokemon games. Mostly for some unique experiences, feeling an evolved world i na game for once, that also turned out to be a sequel story wise and most of all, I LOVE the sprites in Gold & Silver and aside from Gen 4's, they are my favorite by far, esp the coloring/brightness.

I personally would think that from a business standpoint, they would release these further down the line, to space out release from Red/Blue/Yellow's VC release, but it would have to be after Sun & Moon (my random guess).

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Although HGSS offer everything gen 2 has to offer and more, I'd still like to see GSC ported to Virtual Console. For these older games, it's all about the nostalgia! I'm sure that's why a lot of people bought the gen 1 VC releases, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would buy VC Crystal for that very reason, either.

User Anon 1848

Not to hijack the thread discussion but do you think they'd include the GS Ball/Celebi event for everyone who'd download the games? It would be a shame if they didn't.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
Yes. These remain my favorite games to this day. I also wish for some kind of online functionality because I don't have many friends who play Pokemon like when I was 8 xD

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
I think it's an inevitability that they'll be added; they're hugely popular with the fans, and arguably the strongest games of the series to date.

Possibly add them on the next major milestone, such as Pokemon's 21st or 25th anniversary? I feel like just adding them otherwise would just be a waste.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
Seriously they should just allow people who own the original games to transfer there pokemon to the new games. So I do not care

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2016
Adding retro games to the eShop would be great, especially the Pokemon games, which now are more difficult to find.

hoshizorashiro

Sylveon Lover ♡
Years
I would love that since I never got to finish gen 2 I used to say the same about RBY but with the release of the VC versions I finally beat blue not to long ago.

While some can argue that to just buy the better HG/SS have you seen the prices on those?! I've seriously thought about it but it all honesty I'd rather have played the original first anyway.

blue

gucci
Years
I hope so, it would definitely motivate me to play through those games again. With the overwhelming success of the Gen I titles in the eShop, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't long before GSC are released for the eShop.

Years
If they could just add every game to the eShop, that'd be great. I really wanna play through the old Pokémon games but the horrible screens on my Gameboys are keeping me from doing so. The Advance SP ags-101 is expensive, unfortunately.

Guest123_x1

I would love to see G/S/C get a Virtual Console re-release for the 3DS at some point in the future! While others have stated concerns about such a re-release being "redundant" due to HG/SS, there's nothing like re-living the memories of the Game Boy-era games from the first two generations. Plus, a VC re-release of Generation II wouldn't be all that difficult to pull off since Nintendo has already figured out how to get Generation I re-released. (I'm assuming the work needed to get the original Johto games out wouldn't be all that much different than what was needed for Generation I.) Not to mention players would be all but avoiding the issue of losing their save files at a random point from their save battery dying that has affected all of the Game Boy-era games, but especially plagued Gold and Silver.

Atop of all that, a re-release would give those players who sold or otherwise gave up their copies of Gen II (including myself) a chance to legally play these classics once more.

Years
I personally think it'd be awesome if GSC were added to the eShop. Aside from the fact that they're my favourite games of the series, I think they'd do very well (in terms of sales). The Pokémon Company has been really pushing the nostalgia factor since Gen 6, what with the Pokémon Origins anime series, the Kanto starters being available in XY, and all that before taking a look at Pokémon Go, which is just... DRIPPING with nostalgia to draw in now-grown fans from back in the day.

I think for quite a lot of those fans, GSC still fits with that nostalgia factor. GSC took everything from RBY and made it better, pretty much (which is my own opinion but I think it's a reasonable fact, tbqh). Nintendo has demonstrated that the GB Pokémon games can do very well on 3DS (with link functionality included). I'd personally love to see GSC, maybe even see Celebi's event built in to Crystal like the Surfing Pikachu event was built in to the eShop version of Yellow. Since we'll be able to transfer up from RBY to Sun/Moon, it'd be great to do the same with GSC.

Years
I personally think it'd be awesome if GSC were added to the eShop. Aside from the fact that they're my favourite games of the series, I think they'd do very well (in terms of sales). The Pokémon Company has been really pushing the nostalgia factor since Gen 6, what with the Pokémon Origins anime series, the Kanto starters being available in XY, and all that before taking a look at Pokémon Go, which is just... DRIPPING with nostalgia to draw in now-grown fans from back in the day.

I think for quite a lot of those fans, GSC still fits with that nostalgia factor. GSC took everything from RBY and made it better, pretty much (which is my own opinion but I think it's a reasonable fact, tbqh). Nintendo has demonstrated that the GB Pokémon games can do very well on 3DS (with link functionality included). I'd personally love to see GSC, maybe even see Celebi's event built in to Crystal like the Surfing Pikachu event was built in to the eShop version of Yellow. Since we'll be able to transfer up from RBY to Sun/Moon, it'd be great to do the same with GSC.

Years
  • US
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
Yes. But only, and I mean ONLY, if there is WIFI battles. Please Nintendo.. Please...

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I think they should but the real question is if they could. There could be reasons they couldn't. The 3ds would have to be able to emulate GBC.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I think they should but the real question is if they could. There could be reasons they couldn't. The 3ds would have to be able to emulate GBC.

The 3DS is fully capable of emulating the GBC. The existence of the TCG and Yellow on the VC proves it. ;)

(I think you're getting it mixed up with the GBA. That's the one that the 3DS has issues with.)

GSC are only being held back because they don't want the games to overshadow RBY and Sun/Moon. They'll probably come out sometime in 2017.

Back