• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Should Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal come to the eShop?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
The 3DS is fully capable of emulating the GBC. The existence of the TCG and Yellow on the VC proves it. ;)

(I think you're getting it mixed up with the GBA. That's the one that the 3DS has issues with.)

GSC are only being held back because they don't want the games to overshadow RBY and Sun/Moon. They'll probably come out sometime in 2017.

I doubt any VC games would derive hype from S/M tbh.
And I think I was getting GBC/GBA mixed up :p

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I hope so. I hope there are filters for it if they do. I remember playing the games in black and white (black and green) because I didn't have a Gameboy Colour at the time. I did have the Super Gameboy, however. That was pretty sweet.

Shuhbooty

space and time
Years
I can't speak for everyone, but despite HGSS being a fantastic remake, I kind of see GSC and HGSS separately. I play them for different reasons, but again, that's personal. I don't feel the same kind of nostalgia for HGSS as I feel for GSC and vice versa. (The fact HGSS is old enough for me to feel nostalgic about is...omg where has the time gone?) HGSS is still really expensive, I might add. It would be much easier to buy the originals for $11 off the eShop than hunt down an HGSS copy for $40! :) Haha. But yeah, like I said, I can't speak for everyone, but even though they're essentially the same game, I see them as separate entities. But this and the reasons I said in the previous part of my post are reasons why I think GSC on eShop would be a great decision.

Also, I hope they don't wait that long! I'm kind of hoping they release them later this year or some time soon. I am just itching for VC GSC so baaaad.

I totally agree here. I'm a super fan of the older games, and that's why they call it a 'remake'. They add and change a few things (not including the graphics). I feel more nostalgic with GSC then with SS/HG. I also agree on the pricing. I origina purchased my SS when it was released with my pokewalker (and I love it to death it's my favorite) however I don't mind paying the $10-20/25 bucks for these via eShop. That's just me.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I doubt any VC games would derive hype from S/M tbh.

Maybe in the case of Gen 3 or later, but nostalgia for the first 2 gens is far more powerful than you think. There's a reason why RB and GS have the highest sales of any Pokémon game.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Maybe in the case of Gen 3 or later, but nostalgia for the first 2 gens is far more powerful than you think. There's a reason why RB and GS have the highest sales of any Pokémon game.

I know that Nostalgia, but Especially with the VC games being so cheap I can't see them affecting any sales of other games.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I know that Nostalgia, but Especially with the VC games being so cheap I can't see them affecting any sales of other games.

Not necessarily, especially when you consider how little GF spends on re-releases vs new games. And, the market for people who have nostalgia for RBY/GSC, yet zero interest in new Pokémon, is pretty big. The only issue, really, is needing to have a 3DS to get the VC re-releases.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Not necessarily, especially when you consider how little GF spends on re-releases vs new games. And, the market for people who have nostalgia for RBY/GSC, yet zero interest in new Pokémon, is pretty big. The only issue, really, is needing to have a 3DS to get the VC re-releases.

If they don't care about new pokemon anyways they wouldn't have bought S/M regardless of whether there was a VC game out. The VC games are just making them more money.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Once Sun/Moon is released, there would basically be no reason for GF to not release the games to the 3DS shop. They would only be hurting themselves otherwise.

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum
Years
Once Sun/Moon is released, there would basically be no reason for GF to not release the games to the 3DS shop. They would only be hurting themselves otherwise.

Exactly. Why not re release the originals so a whole new generation could experience them and the ones who played through them originally could play through them again.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
If they were for sale on the 3DS I'd buy Crystal straight away. It's my fav pokemon game.
Same here! How could anybody answer no to this question? Johto is still my favorite region to play in, probably mostly because the gen 2 style really attracts me somehow, with pixels and few colors and all. Nostalgia overdrive. HG/SS didn't hold my attention for as long as gen 2 did o:

JOBO

o/_\O
Years
If they bring GSC to virtual console and make it compatible with RBY and PokeBank I predict we will be seeing a huge surge in Johto/Kanto shiny Pokemon. The shiny ditto glitch in gen 2 made getting shiny Pokemon ridiculously easy. You could breed a full teams worth in very little time. Using the glitch the shiny odds were 1/64. I tried the glitch myself and often times hatched a shiny after only 1-10 eggs.

EthanoicAcid

professional chicken nugget inspector
Years
Of course!! They were awesome games, and I think it would be great to bring them into the eShop. I would love to be able to play it on my 3DS with wireless compatibility. I also think it would be useful because of the Pokemon that only evolve via trade, since not a lot of people own physical copies of the game anymore and you can't trade with emulators, which means your only other option to get some of the Pokemon in those games is Gameshark codes.
Another reason I think it would be great to bring the gen 2 games to the eShop is because it would open so many people up to the games because of all the people who own 3DS's instead of Gameboys. I think it would give more people an ability to play the game authentically.
That and they're just great games in general and I think they deserve a comeback just as much as RBY.
Give Us Gen 2 on eShop 2k16

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
Oh, I really hope they're added at some point. I had so much fun playing through Blue on an updated console. I never actually got the chance to play all the way through Crystal so that would be super fun.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I absolutely think they should be added to the e-shop. They're great games and classics too. It was a lot of fun playing RBY on the VC (and actually being able to save! Gotta love having a cartridge with a corrupted file) and I'm sure I'd have just the same amount of nostalgia playing through GSC.

From a business standpoint I think it would make most sense to release it a few months after Sun/Moon. Pokémon's having a bit of a resurgence now and I'm sure Pokémon Go will improve 3DS and SuMo sales somewhat, and releasing GSC a few months after that will further rope in those players who just returned to the franchise after Go, and keep those players around by showing them a game that reminds them of their childhood.

Years
When they released R/B/Y through the eShop it gave me so much hope that they'd release G/S/C through the eShop as well. GenII was my favorite generation, and yet it's the one I've played the least (something always gets in my way of fully enjoying it), and since my Crystal cartridge finally died, I no longer have a authentic means of playing it, unless I do an emulator or pay an over priced price for HG or SS.

After Sun & Moon come out, I think it would be foolish not to re-release them.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2017
Yes, some of us were not lucky enough to own the original Gold/Silver and unable to purchase them or the remakes now.

Years
I'm still holding out hope that we'll see G/S/C on the eShop in the future, but if the Nintendo NX ends up coming out for it's scheduled release in Spring 2017, that may lower our chances of actually getting them. But, with the general lack of news regarding the NX, fingers crossed that it's release will be pushed back a little bit, meaning that we'll see GSC get their re-release, and be compatible with Pokebank, too.

Either way, I'm getting me a copy of Crystal if they do come, no questions asked.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Same here! How could anybody answer no to this question? Johto is still my favorite region to play in, probably mostly because the gen 2 style really attracts me somehow, with pixels and few colors and all. Nostalgia overdrive. HG/SS didn't hold my attention for as long as gen 2 did o:

HGSS is amazing but Crystal has some sort of nostalgia, even if I didn't play it as long ago as some other people did. Plus, the story's slightly different than HGSS, so that would still make it interesting, right?

I would like for this and Emerald to come to the eShop and be able to transfer our Pokemon to Sun & Moon. That would be really cool. <3

Years
To my shame, I sold all of my original cartridges once they died. They should totally bring back G/S/C. The battery life in those carts were horrible and devastating. Poor Shiny Gruel Fang, I hardly knew ya. Too bad I continued to run into shiny zubats for every single generation of Pokemon, though...

Back