• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Pokemon return like it was before?

xXLunaSolXx

Hello Pokemon Fans! I started this topic because it would be interesting to discuss. Sometimes do you think Game Freak should make Pokemon like it was before? I think the newer games aren't bad, but I miss the old Pokemon sometimes. So what you guys think?

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I mean, there are certainly a few features that I think the early Generations did a lot better than current/recent games, but overall I can't pass up the plethora of new features added in the later gens so I find them more fun. There are a few things I think the early gens did really well that the newer games are missing for one reason or another. The main two:

Freedom to explore: The new games loooove to have you bump into your rivals or other characters every few minutes to explain where to go next. I hate this. First of all I dislike being locked into cutscenes for minutes on end, (and it doesn't help that with the arguable exception of Gen 5, Pokémon games have never had great character development) but also it really annoys me from a storytelling perspective. I'd much rather discover the interesting details and backstory of a new area for myself, rather than having my rival explain it to me.

Plot variation: Every single Pokémon game barring those set in Kanto and (kinda) Johto is about an evil team trying to control a Legendary Pokémon who is instead captured by the player during a climatic moment. I really doubt Pokémon will ever stray from this formula, but it was really refreshing to play Gen I for the first time last year, and I enjoyed a game where Legendary Pokémon played no role in the main story.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Back in the old days Pokemon were all equal. They all had a terrible movepool and if you wanted to teach them a good move you really had to think about which one to give it, because TMs were single use only. AND WE LIKED IT!!!

In all seriousness, though, I did enjoy the open world-ness of gen 1 in particular. Team Rocket was just a means of showing what the Pokemon world was and not what they wanted it to be. No long story explanations, just the journey of a ten year old trying to become the best of the best. A simple and gameplay driven game.

I'm not saying that the games now are bad, they are just a lot different from what they were back then and getting back to the old formula would probably just alienate a big part of the current fanbase.

Years
  • As much as I love the older games, I really like Pokemon as it is now and think the series is heading in a really good direction. I often go back and play the older games so I'm always experiencing that nostlagia, imo, there's no need to make Pokemon like it was before, because there's always the classic games available.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I too want to know what exactly the OP means by "like it was in the beginning"

....not saying I never experienced Gen 1, I was there

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Gen 1 starter here too. Nostalgia aside, it sucked.

I consider the gen1 game to be a prototype more than anything, with 2 being 'the beginning'. It added a lot of the drastically needed polish to the game, though it wasn't until gen4 that the eye twitch inducing phys/spec split was finally polished to perfection.

Know what I hate the most about Gen 1, having played the newer games? The piece of crap backpack. No way in hell do I want to go back to that thing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It's mostly just the older regions and characters that I miss. Kanto and Johto are still "The Pokémon World," as far as I'm concerned, and it's difficult for me to take to or even care about the other regions and characters.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I haven't played that much of Gen I (that or my memory is really hazy), but what was it about Gen I's backpack that was annoying? I think it was that you can only carry really limited number of items or something, right?
    20 slots iirc. no different sections or anything, you could carry 20 items total.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I haven't played that much of Gen I (that or my memory is really hazy), but what was it about Gen I's backpack that was annoying? I think it was that you can only carry really limited number of items or something, right?

20 slots iirc. no different sections or anything, you could carry 20 items total.

The limit was 50 different items I think (So, you were able to stack items in the bag, thankfully. That's about the only good thing the bag had going for it.), but it was the lack of any way to organize the bag that annoyed me more than anything.

TMs especially, since it just displayed the number. No way of knowing what it contained unless you memorized that number, or booted the thing up to check.

Number of other annoyances with the game - Ello bugged type matchups, ello stupid 'lets make spec cover both atk and def' - but it was the the bag I hated the most.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    i guess sometimes i wish the complexity of the pokemon games was gone bc everyone is SO competitive now and sometimes it makes me anxious lol but idk i love that too bc it gives me more play time in the game, breeding/etc instead of beat the story + pokedex and then ur done

yknow??

i like the direction pokemon is going

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOO!
    Gen 1 is my least favorite gen of all of them! The pandering it gets is ridiculous! We need more games like Sun and Moon, with great characters, an interesting story, and features that DON'T make you want to cry.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • the gens have become progressing better for me, so i'd rather move forward than backwards. gens I and II are my least favourite gens and i'm loving the direction pokémon has gone in recently.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    They did try that in Sun & Moon, although to a dubious extent. Some people clerly don't think they did so properly, though.

The first games were special in a few ways. 'Pokémon' wasn't a genre, so they had to consider what Pokémon meant to them and the games are less formulaic. In addition, there were less Pokemon overall, so they might have seemed more important. There weren't many which were just replacements for others etc. etc.

Recent games might appeal if you're into Japanese games generally and like things like Final Fantasy, etc. You should bear that in mind.

If you're more interestedd in the mystique of the games and stuff, then the first games might be more interesting. Stuff like Lavender Town is actually much more effective because of the less flashy earlier games.

Know what I hate the most about Gen 1, having played the newer games? The piece of crap backpack. No way in hell do I want to go back to that thing.
    If that's your biggest qualm with R/B, despite it often being on the side, it's hard to see how you're so critical of the game as a whole.

Owlet

Look for hope, it's searching for you.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 12, 2017
    I admit I do miss the tone of the older games. There was a kind of simplicity to them, but they also felt very unique and unlike other games out there. I do enjoy the later games, especially Sun/Moon, although I find the story side of things less interesting overall. Pokemon was never about a story for me, it was about travelling around, exploring a new world and catching Pokemon, with the linear 'progress bar' of gyms and the Elite Four. I don't mind the story, but it's not why I buy the game.
    That said, I don't know if it would be feasible for them to go back to the old style of gameplay - they've moved into a different area with the Pokemon franchise overall and that's a good thing in many ways, with more complex combat, better graphics, more bits and pieces on the side. I don't have the love for Moon that I had for, say, Yellow or Silver, though.

xXLunaSolXx

I will say Pokemon Sun and Moon are wonderful games, but I miss the charm of older games. Despite that, I still think the newer games are better though. They have more complex character (for BW and SM mostly), interesting features and more to explore. The only game I disliked in the series was XY. I was disappointed with the story and characters. I'm glad we got something better after that.

I think a retro-styled game would be interesting, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Years
  • No no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOO!
    Gen 1 is my least favorite gen of all of them! The pandering it gets is ridiculous! We need more games like Sun and Moon, with great characters, an interesting story, and features that DON'T make you want to cry.

Yeah Gen 1 is the only generation of Pokemon games that I had to force myself to play and carry on playing for the sake of being a Pokemon fan and wanting to experience it. I can understand why there's so many flaws, but god it's tedious playing those games.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yeah Gen 1 is the only generation of Pokemon games that I had to force myself to play and carry on playing for the sake of being a Pokemon fan and wanting to experience it. I can understand why there's so many flaws, but god it's tedious playing those games.

You actually finished? Wow, I never got past the third gym in FR :p

Years
  • I honestly would love to see gen 4 again but with the graphics up to date Mostly because gen 4 is balanced in the ways of Rivals don't pop up every second and you can explore almost everywhere if you wanted too

I don't hate the new Gen 7 generation but so many good features has been removed and replaced by Lengthy cutscenes which can take up to atleast 3 minutes of your gameplay time explaning something you don't really care about
    And then there is the SOS battle's i gotta admit this is a good idea But the pokemon you fight call for help so much that you cannot get a chance to catch one pokemon.

So i would love to see some features to return to this new generation of Pokemon games like the Freedom to explore Gen 2-4 Barely any cutscenes Gen 1-5 The VS seeker Gen 3 (seriously miss that tool) And the Horde battles from gen 6

Otherwise i'm looking forward what Gamefreak has in store for us In the future pokemon games.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I honestly would love to see gen 4 again but with the graphics up to date Mostly because gen 4 is balanced in the ways of Rivals don't pop up every second and you can explore almost everywhere if you wanted too

I don't hate the new Gen 7 generation but so many good features has been removed and replaced by Lengthy cutscenes which can take up to atleast 3 minutes of your gameplay time explaning something you don't really care about
    And then there is the SOS battle's i gotta admit this is a good idea But the pokemon you fight call for help so much that you cannot get a chance to catch one pokemon.

So i would love to see some features to return to this new generation of Pokemon games like the Freedom to explore Gen 2-4 Barely any cutscenes Gen 1-5 The VS seeker Gen 3 (seriously miss that tool) And the Horde battles from gen 6

Otherwise i'm looking forward what Gamefreak has in store for us In the future pokemon games.
    basically my thoughts exactly on everything, lmao

Back