• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Smoking be banned?(Only if your country has smokers)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
  • No, because look at what the Prohibition did to try to ban alcohol. Didn't work because people don't have the strength to remain an alcohol-free country; its fairly easy to see that the same thing could be with smokes. And even though I think its a horrible thing to do, not everyone who smokes doesn't forget to consider 2nd-hand smoking (before my mom kicked the habit she would always smoke away from my sister and I). Not everyone is a selfish jerk about it.

So I think that it would cause more problems than fix.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I wish it could be banned. Get everyone who wants it the means to deal with coming down from their addiction and slowly wean them off before placing the outright ban. I think smoking is disgusting and I'd love to see it abolished. :(

But realistically, I think I'd rather they raise taxes on tobacco a bit more. Encourages less people to take up the already-expensive habit and might encourage more people to quit. And the government gets more money to pour into more useful things so tbh it'd be win-win for me, so long as enough people didn't just head to the black market or something. Not that I even know how that works, haha.

Years
  • If suicide is illegal, than smoking should be illegal. I can't stand cigarette smoke, sure it goes against people's rights, but it hurts others and hurts themselves, I can't find a better reason to ban it. I have many friends with bad asthma that almost have attacks when they walk out of a building. People never follow the rules of being a certain distance from a door. I can smell cigarette smoke and get sick from it even when its 20 feet away from me.

My parents smoked, I moved away as fast as I could. I have breathing problems that I pretty much blame on their smoking. It gets pretty bad when they smoke inside with no windows open.

Now marajuana is illegal, and I used to live in an area where it got smoked quite a lot. The smoke from pot may smell worse, but it doesn't trigger my friends' asthma nearly as much as cigarette smoke. Also, cigarettes being banned will obviously set grounds for illegal smoking like with pot, but do you see many pot smokers smoking in public? They keep it to themselves. Which means no more holding your breath when walking out a door or asthma attacks. I look forward to the day.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I honestly wouldn't care if it's banned or not. Like another user already stated, just because something is banned, doesn't mean it'll stop the people who really want to do it. Plus, I don't smoke, and nobody close to me smokes either, so I could care less.

backpackomg

Banned
    Years
  • Dear God, no. I don't want to live in Nazi Germany.

truly the best post in this thread. ♥

i was lurking and this thread tempted me to join and say exactly what he just said. like, people need to realize that as they let the government take away more and more of our freedoms, it gives them more power over us. in the united states, "the land of the free", we have more restrictions on mundane things than i can count on both my hands, my feet, and i'd stretch the imagination by saying my hairs as well. we can't even go out as teenagers past a certain hour. picture that, a 17 year old isn't allowed out past say 9pm because they could "potentially" cause trouble. you can't go on an airplane and be brown without getting pulled aside for a routine search, which has happened to me. it's amazing what fear mongering and stupidity can do.

let people smoke their cigarettes. just because you don't like it is not a reason to tell everybody in the world they are not allowed to have it. like some of the arguments i've seen are ridiculous. "i don't like the smell." sorry, we don't ban things because they're stinky.

:/

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • No. I think that you have the right risk getting cancer by smoking. I agree that legislation that bans it from public areas is good, because others should not be coerced to be prone to the risks of second-hand smoke. But if you want to smoke, you should not be coerced to stop smoking in privacy, where others are not put at risk.

P.S. parents should not smoke in front of their young children just because it is in the privacy of their own home because of the effects of secondhand smoke.

Years
  • I wish it could be, because it not only harms the smoker, but others as well. But in reality, that'll never happen. It's sad.

Years
  • In an ideal world, perhaps, since smoking is pretty bad for you. I'm still a bit torn about it myself, as it's the smoker's business if they want to do it or not. Pretty sure most people know what they're getting into when they start, so as long as they're informed...

It'd never work out, I think, as long as people continue to do it. It's an addiction -- it's not easy to just up and quit. Banning it as things are now would just be a disaster. :/

Last edited:

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    YES. But if it's banned people would still do it >:(

Last edited:

TheEvilDookie

I'm just a teddy bear
    Years
  • I'm not opposed to the sale of tobacco - just the use. Yeah that sounds hypocritical of me, but whatever. The sales tax that the government brings in from it is pretty nice if you ask me haha.

Ayselipera

If people want to smoke then they can smoke for all I care. The risks are made clear and banning them won't really prevent those who want to smoke to stop. I never really got the whole "they smell bad" argument. If you ask me that's a pretty poor excuse to ban something. Although I probably am one of the few nonsmokers who actually enjoys the smell!

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I honestly do believe that the world would be better off without smoking, or at least the United States, but there are too many smokers to out-right ban it. Having lived around smokers all my life, though not one myself, I know that smokers can't just quit all of a sudden after smoking for countless years. However, smoking in public being banned would be a good start, and instead the only legal places to smoke would be at or around your own home.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I don't mind if people smoke, but there are the people who choose not to smoke who are still inhaling the smoke of others. So I say ban it; the pros in my opinion outweigh the cons.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Well, ever if it gets banned people will still do it >:(

Also, it is there choice to smoke. I hate it and I wish people wouldn't do it, but they still do it >:(

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • People have the right to smoke if they want to. If they feel the need to sit and inhale poison on a several-times-daily basis, let them be. However, that impinges on my right to sit and damn well breathe clean air.

So? I say we ban smoking in public places, like some countries have already done. Ideally, everyone would recognise the dangers and stop, but I can't reasonably say this should be done. I would be more than happy, however, if it was only legal for people to smoke in their own damn homes. There is no smell more sickening to me than ciggy smoke, and Hamilton's city centre is atrocious - cigarette butts littered everywhere, people smoking every few metres. The Transport Centre is the worst - at all times of day - and this is where dozens, if not hundreds of children and teenagers pass through once or twice a day. I don't want to be exposed to those toxins, and neither should they.

So I won't step on smokers' right to give themselves lung cancer if they so choose, but all I ask is that they don't step on my right to breath fresh air and stay healthy. It's quite simple, really. I think some countries have done it already.

Years
  • It won't be banned; the amount of people who do it and the tax the government receive is stupidly high.

I think it shouldn't be banned because I hate the idea of the government thinking they know what is best for me, but they aren't giving me a choice in the matter over the small things.​

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    No, not in general. Just prohibit them in public spaces.

I smoke a lot and I don't think I will stop any time soon. Banning smoking isn't really going to stop me, to be perfectly honest.

Back