• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the Swastika still be considered evil?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Unfortunately, we can't expect most Westerners to be culturally aware enough to observe the distinction. As someone who has lived here for his entire life, I can tell you through experience that #mostnotall Americans are really clueless when it comes to symbols relating to any religion that isn't Christianity, so even if they saw a traditional Hindu/Jaini swastika in a Hindu/Jaini context, they'd probably still lose their **** over it.

Do you have evidence that most Americans dont know symbols other than Christianity and that they would have an emotional reaction to those symbols?

In addition, its not Westerners being culturally unaware. Its that the symbols have to be taken within context of the culture and to Westerners, other meanings are irrelevant because the great majority of Westerners do not observe those customs or religions.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Do you have evidence that most Americans dont know symbols other than Christianity and that they would have an emotional reaction to those symbols?

In addition, its not Westerners being culturally unaware. Its that the symbols have to be taken within context of the culture and to Westerners, other meanings are irrelevant because the great majority of Westerners do not observe those customs or religions.

I would say that, just from my own personal experiences, people tend not to know too much outside of their own bubble. I will say that culture awareness has definitely been improving, but in this specific discussion, the Hindu/Jaini swastika is a bit more obscure and I doubt many would be as accustomed to it as they would something from the more prominent Christian religions.

Also, that is literally cultural unawareness. I just didn't describe it like that haha

Years
    For the Olympics in Tokyo the maps in subways and around the place are being changed to replace the swastikas that used to be there because of the large numbers of Western tourists expected to attend. Normally maps will use the symbol to designate the location of a shrine or temple, but someone, somewhere either knew enough about this or had it suggested to them so they're making the change.

I know it's not exactly about this debate, but it's related and interesting.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    For the Olympics in Tokyo the maps in subways and around the place are being changed to replace the swastikas that used to be there because of the large numbers of Western tourists expected to attend. Normally maps will use the symbol to designate the location of a shrine or temple, but someone, somewhere either knew enough about this or had it suggested to them so they're making the change.

I know it's not exactly about this debate, but it's related and interesting.

Japan was an axis power, so it makes sense they'd want to avoid any association with their past in that respect.

Years
    I'm going to have to say by itself, no. Now, many here have already pointed out that Hinduism also utilizes a similar symbol but there are several different religious sects that also utilize similar, if not the same exact symbol.

The Swastika or Suavastika can trace its roots all the way back to the pyramids. It doesn't take much research to show this. I will, however, acknowledge that in the right circumstance, the Swastika is a symbol of terrible crimes such as the Eagle clutching the Swastika or the Nazi Flag. Anything that is traced and associated with the Third Reich, yes, bad. Anything not associated with the third Reich? Not bad. There are symbols that you probably didn't even know that are technically Swastikas I'll bet. Now, the Nazis did indeed abuse the symbol itself and have damned the thing to oblivion, however, the Swastika alone is not evil. There are parameters that must be met. If someone is attempting to utilize it to convey hate, yes, bad. If they're using it to pray? Not bad (unless they're praying to Hitler or something akin to this).

There needs to be a time where one can step back and disconnect themselves from symbols and objects and look at them as they are: objectively. If the Swastika is on an ancient coin, is it evil? How can it be if the symbol itself predates the acts of hatred by over 2000 years? What if the symbol is depicted on the wall of a pyramid? I think it's much more situational than people like to think. Now, when someone draws a Swastika, chances are that unless they're praying or using it for informational purposes they're probably drawing it to be 'funny' or controversial because the Nazi symbol is the general consensus revolving the Swastika.

TL;DR Nazi Symbolism = Bad. Suavastika/Swastika = Not Bad unless Nazi Symbolism.

Here, I'll give you a gallery to save you time:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I hope I helped inform someone at least a little bit. Nazi Symbolism is far different than Buddhist, Hindu or other symbolism. I don't like Nazis, by the way.

Years
    While symbols mean nothing on its own, the notion that swastika = nazism is so entrenched in Western culture (?) that it's been relegated to being a hate symbol throughout large parts of the world, and I doubt that will ever change.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I mean, if you truly want to boast a Swastika on your clothing because it's not "technically a Swastika that represents the Third Reich," you can, but that means you pretty much have to accept that people are going to react negatively to that.

Years
    Whilst all the Nazi symbolism is still evil, the other Suavstika symbols are not. Simply the only point I was attempting to make. Not saying that one would go about wearing them on their clothing, but wanted to show that it has been done and still exists in other parts of the globe.

Edit: Not Nazi symbolism, but rather religious expression.

Back