• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hi guys, I'm sure I've seen a way to do this before but I can't find the tutorial anywhere so posting here.
    There's a way you can enable the evolution of all Pokémon WITHOUT enabling the National Dex, isn't there? I don't want to enable the ND right away in my hack because I wanted proper regional Pokedexes.
    I really hope I don't need to download a tool for this, as my computer is being a bit tempermental when downloading tools...

Thanks to anyone who can help, or point me in the direction of a tutorial that shows me how to do this!

Sorry for the double-post, but while I'm here I may as well ask.

Is there some sort of ASM to the VS Seeker that means the trainer you battled before will be stronger than the last time you battled them?

I tried to do it by using 2 different trainer numbers in the trainerbattle 0x5 command, but when I used VS Seeker on the trainer it just froze.

Question number 3 (sorry), WTH causes some maps to just completely corrupt and restart the game when you step onto them? I've had to scrap loads of maps in my rom because of that. Is there something I did that causes it or can it just spontaneously happen for no reason?

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Hi guys, I'm sure I've seen a way to do this before but I can't find the tutorial anywhere so posting here.
    There's a way you can enable the evolution of all Pokémon WITHOUT enabling the National Dex, isn't there? I don't want to enable the ND right away in my hack because I wanted proper regional Pokedexes.
    I really hope I don't need to download a tool for this, as my computer is being a bit tempermental when downloading tools...

Thanks to anyone who can help, or point me in the direction of a tutorial that shows me how to do this!

Sorry for the double-post, but while I'm here I may as well ask.

Is there some sort of ASM to the VS Seeker that means the trainer you battled before will be stronger than the last time you battled them?

I tried to do it by using 2 different trainer numbers in the trainerbattle 0x5 command, but when I used VS Seeker on the trainer it just froze.

Question number 3 (sorry), WTH causes some maps to just completely corrupt and restart the game when you step onto them? I've had to scrap loads of maps in my rom because of that. Is there something I did that causes it or can it just spontaneously happen for no reason?

1) There is a post by Jambo51 (maybe even a whole thread?) in R&D that completely details this. I think, if it is a thread, that the title is something along the lines of "Hacking the FireRed Pokedex".

2) Not sure really sure, as I haven't played around with the VS Seeker much.

3) A-Map does something funky, most of the time when resizing maps, that causes them to create black screens. No one really knows why and that is why I can't wait for MEH.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    1) There is a post by Jambo51 (maybe even a whole thread?) in R&D that completely details this. I think, if it is a thread, that the title is something along the lines of "Hacking the FireRed Pokedex".

2) Not sure really sure, as I haven't played around with the VS Seeker much.

3) A-Map does something funky, most of the time when resizing maps, that causes them to create black screens. No one really knows why and that is why I can't wait for MEH.

Sorry, I VMed you before I even saw this. Thank you, I'll see if I can find Jambo51's thread now!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Just wondering why when you edit the amount of trainers in A-Trainer for Pokemon Emerald, (so that you have more trainer slots) it glitches the wild Pokemon battles and some trainer battles? Whenever I encounter a Pokemon the name is missing, and sometimes when a trainer battle is started the screen just goes black but the music still continues.

s6jgx4.png

Oh, and another thing.. is it possible to edit Steven's Pokémon in the double battle at the Mossdeep City Space Centre?

Last edited:

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • I've made a new bank in Advance Map and added a new map, but this map seems to be tied to Littleroot Town in some way? It's named Littleroot Town and when I try to change the name, I get:

ERROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $3E7418 is not a Pointer!

What's this all about?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Just wondering why when you edit the amount of trainers in A-Trainer for Pokemon Emerald, (so that you have more trainer slots) it glitches the wild Pokemon battles and some trainer battles? Whenever I encounter a Pokemon the name is missing, and sometimes when a trainer battle is started the screen just goes black but the music still continues.

s6jgx4.png

Oh, and another thing.. is it possible to edit Steven's Pokémon in the double battle at the Mossdeep City Space Centre?

For the first question, I think you may be overwriting some stuff when you add the trainers. Remember the free space for emerald is like 0xE90000 + I think, very small amount near the rom is all I can remember.

For the second question, I think it's somewhere on romhackersonline. Someone posted a thread detailing the offsets and what the bytes do. Can't remember much else. Sorry for being so vague.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    I've been trying to edit the palette to the item bag in Pokemon Ruby, but whenever I try to, they never change. I've tried changing them with a hex editor and Advanced Palette Editor, but no matter what I do, they won't change. Would anybody know how to edit these colors?

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I appologise if this is a noobish question, but I haven't found anything on it.
    Will starting the game and creating a save file adversely effect the game when it comes to editing? I know the game and save files are separate, but I just want to make sure. (going through Oak's intro at the beginning just so I can check some warps is getting really annoying)

You can make a save file and test the ROM at the same time. I did that throughout the whole testing process of my hack, because let's face it, going through the whole game to test something mundane is annoying. Just make sure you back up the ROM and do all that nice stuff in case the ROM gets corrupted. And be careful about saving the game if you're testing a warp and it leads you somewhere it shouldn't. Other than that, go right ahead.

I have a question with a good amount of parts lol.

The ideas i have, i want to make sure they are possible., and how i would go about doing them.

New Items
    how would i add these and make their abitlities, like pokeballs with less chances, and more, ones best on some types, like for dragon it has a higher chances but for the others itll have like a pokeball chances/
    New Badges
    I want to create new ones and replace some.
    New Attacks
    How would i go about making new ones, and the animations being inserted.
    New Abilities
    Like Darkrais Ability(kinda needed)
    Bank System
    Self explanatory lol. But like have a person and machine as options.
    Add more slots in the PokeDex
    Like lets say FireRed only has the 151 from 1st gen, and i want to take the time to do add 2nd gen.
    New Evolution Stone
    I want to add megas but i am not sure that firered has the capabilities to do the transformation in battle only, so theyd be like separate pokes.
    On-The-Go-Healing Sytems.
    Like you step on a tile, talk to a person, click on an item and you get healed.

Make Some Moves Stronger or Weaker
    How do i edit moves.

Create/Replace Hm Moves and TMS
    a bit self explanatory, but also how would i do the mechanics for the outside of battle uses like how strength you move the boulders wherever you want.

I can help you with a couple of your questions, but not all of them. The things I can help you with are in bold.

First, the on the go healing systems. Those are entirely possible! I used them a whole bunch in my hack. I don't know which script editor you're using, but on PKSV, you just make a normal message script, then use "special 0" to do the healing effect. (If you need more information or any help with this, PM me, I'll be happy to elaborate.)

Second, changing the attack power of moves. I've always used a program called Attack Editor Pro. I don't know if there are better programs for this task, but I've always made do with AEP. All you need to do is find the name of the attack in the program, and click on it. On the right side, it will give you information about the attack which you can edit, such as the power. You can also change the name, amount of PP, the type and the effect of the attack. Be warned though, changing the effect of the attack can lead to things acting weird in-game, depending on which effect you changed it to (you know, animations being weird.) Changing the power of the attack is completely harmless though.

Sorry that that's all I can help with, my knowledge is somewhat limited. I hope this helps you though. :)

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've been trying to edit the palette to the item bag in Pokemon Ruby, but whenever I try to, they never change. I've tried changing them with a hex editor and Advanced Palette Editor, but no matter what I do, they won't change. Would anybody know how to edit these colors?

I think you're looking at the wrong palette. I believe the correct palette is in the "Sprite" section, 4th from the bottom.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Ok I have a few questions
    1. How would I go about editing the specials? I want to change the starter selecting screen in Emerald so that it doesn't say "Birch is in danger!" Would I have to use ASM? Or is there another way to do so? (ASM is really confusing for me right now, even with Karatekid's ASM explanation tutorial. It just looks like an alien language to me lol. I'd rather hex edit or script if I can help it)
    2. I've heard that Advance Map 1.92 can't support extended roms. This is a concern for me because I'm probably going to hack Emerald, and I'll need the extra free space. Is there a way around this for now? I don't want to wait for MEH to be usable, because that's probably going to take a while.
    Also on the topic of free space, how much free space can I use if I extend a rom? Can I use the whole extra 16 mb? Or are there limitations?

Years
  • My friend has a question which I think is not useful but I can not solve this problem, that is "How to hack experience after a battle."

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Ok I have a few questions
    1. How would I go about editing the specials? I want to change the starter selecting screen in Emerald so that it doesn't say "Birch is in danger!" Would I have to use ASM? Or is there another way to do so? (ASM is really confusing for me right now, even with Karatekid's ASM explanation tutorial. It just looks like an alien language to me lol. I'd rather hex edit or script if I can help it)
    2. I've heard that Advance Map 1.92 can't support extended roms. This is a concern for me because I'm probably going to hack Emerald, and I'll need the extra free space. Is there a way around this for now? I don't want to wait for MEH to be usable, because that's probably going to take a while.
    Also on the topic of free space, how much free space can I use if I extend a rom? Can I use the whole extra 16 mb? Or are there limitations?

For the first question, I thought that part was just some text? I believe if you search up that line in a hex editor, you MIGHT be able to find it, and just edit it. But I don't know, I don't hack Emerald.
    For the second, I thought A-Map could? I'm sure it can. Have you tried it? Also, I believe you would be able to use all the free space, just that instead of the offsets being 0x8XXXXXX, they'd be 0x9XXXXXX

My friend has a question which I think is not useful but I can not solve this problem, that is "How to hack experience after a battle."

Wouldn't you just need to edit the pokemon's exp yield? Just change it to a different number?

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Is there any tools to do that?

Any Pokemon Editor would: PEP, YAPE, GBAPGE or a Hex editor.
    Just saying: 0 or 1 is the minimum, and 255 is the maximum (Chansey and Blissey's exp yield)
    Anything higher requires ASM and massive reworking of the game's code...or a look-up table.
    But that's irrelevent for just simple edits

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I actually should have been more specific, I'm trying to change the background and the boxes where the text is as well.

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Thanks for the reply. I actually should have been more specific, I'm trying to change the background and the boxes where the text is as well.

Oh, well...Do you mean where the text "TMs and HMS" is?
    I can't really help you much except, are you really editing those colours? And that palette specifically?

Just search up those colours in that exact order in the rom and see if they exist. Then edit all of the colours.
    If it still doesn't work...well..I'm not too sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back