• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh starters!

Which Sinnoh starter did you pick?

• Turtwig

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters

Usuru

ウスル☆
Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2017
    I played Pearl and Platinum and always chose Piplup!♥

thopkmnmaster

Raiores
    Years
  • when i 1sty played (yesterday) i chose turtwig to copy ash but i believe it's the best one it got the least votes but in my opinion it's the best

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • I chose Chimchar first, traded it to my brother's game, and reset my copy. Then, after going through an ungodly amount of dialogue for the second time, I chose Turtwig, and then traded the Chimchar I got earlier back over to my game from my brother's game.

So yeah, I went through all of that just to get both Chimchar and Turtwig for my playthrough, lol. I literally could not decide between the two.

( . . . I voted for Chimchar in the poll though)

Anime Sucks

I chose all of them at some point. My first I believe was Turtwig in Diamond. Used to like Torterra a lot but I don't really care much for him anymore. I chose Chimchar in Pearl despite finding his line a bit ugly because there were no other fire types besides Ponyta which was worse.

Overall Piplup is my favorite, which I chose in Platinum. Empoleon has an awesome design and I like his secondary type.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Chimchar all the way! I've played with all three starters in this series but of the many times i've played, i always come back to the little fire type. I've grown to like this line so much (especially chimchar) that its risen into my top 3 favorite pokemon and favorite starter line. I actually think of this line as the best of the fire/fighting types that became a bit of a theme for a bit. A lot of my love also comes from the fact that Infernape is my ideal Pokemon. Strong physical attack, great speed and that intensity that surrounds it. Just an amazing line and i love their designs as simplistic as it is.

Turtwig would come in second for me, mainly due to the tank that is Torterra.
    Lastly I'd choose Piplup, its a great line and i can the love for it but I do not share that sentiment. Just never really did it for me.

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
  • Turtwig. Torterra was my ultimate powerhouse in my 4th Gen games.
    He swept everything. He Earthquaked like it was nothing. And he was the first Pokémon I ever got to level 100 (Well, I got him to about 95 before using Rare candies).
    If Torterra was replaced by some other Grass starter, I probably would not have the Ground type as my favorite type right now. And probably not Grass as my second favorite either.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    I chose Chimchar because it is my favorite. However, I didn't even use my starter in Sinnoh, as I didn't care for any of them enough.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Turtwig is my favourite. I love bulky Pokémon, and I enjoy its movepool and design, too. Honestly, I'd keep it from evolving if I were crazy; Turtwig is sooooooo cute~! But Torterra is a BEAST.

I've picked Piplup more often, though, just because it seems to fit better on the teams I plan to use. In Platinum, I like using a Leafeon with Yawn, so...

I've never picked Chimchar. Monkeys used to be my favourite animals when I was a child, but I hate the way Chimy's entire line looks, so much so that I won't use it... Shame, 'cause I know it's a great Pokémon.

By the by, has anyone ever noticed the possible Gen I influence on these Starters? Venusaur has a giant flower growing out of its back; Torterra has a giant tree growing out of its back. Monferno has the Charmander line's fiery tale. And Empoleon is of the Steel-type, possibly due to Blastoise and its steel cannons...?

;)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • WOW NO TURTWIG LOVE

Anyway, Turtwig will always have a special place in my heart as the first starter I picked, and it only disappointed me once (Candice). this thing just wrecks face if a decent level.

Empoleon has since become one of my favorite pokemon though, and I love it to bits.

Chimchar sux

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I picked Piplup because of how cute it is. The additional Steel type for me is a mixed bag for me due to the type-advantages. (Electric and Grass are not super effective, but however Ground is super effective while Fire is not "not really effective" against you)

Sukyandaru

kimi ni baby sweet berry love
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    I chose Piplup because having a penguin Pokemon was pretty awesome, and the Steel typing made it even better. Piplup was also easily the cutest of the three in my opinion, but Chimchar and Turtwig are pretty cute too. I tend to start with Water types most of the time, though.

Pretty sure I nicknamed my Piplup "Pengy" ;_;

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2015
    i love turtwig (i call it turi) but in game i choose chimchar(chimmy) just because it gives us a good kick start

Back