• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"So how's your meal?"

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    "How's everything?" "How's your food?" etc

When your server comes to your table and asks some variation of this question (and the food is bad), do you respond truthfully or do you just go with the generic, polite response, then vow to never come back?

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
    Years
  • I'm going to be truthful, but be polite about it. I don't need to be mean about it. That just makes things worse.

Years
  • I usually just give a little nod or am just like "good, good." Not too big of a reaction, though most of the time I actually am enjoying the food, I just don't want to say much. Or, yeah, I'm right in the middle of eating a bite, hah. I haven't come across a situation yet where I dislike the food enough that I don't have anything good to say about it.

(And if it did turn out bad, it would just mean I wouldn't go there again.)

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i usually respond with a "it's good" even if it's (very rarely) not very tasty. if it's not very tasty to me i usually never say anything because i'm too nice.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    As a server, it's essential that you tell me the truth so that I can resolve the issue and either get you a comp for the food, or replace it with something that you may like instead. You aren't going to make anyone feel bad if you don't like the food you ordered and your food will be prioritized so the kitchen makes it as quickly as possible. If you're nice and understanding about it (as in, don't take it out on me like it's my fault you don't like the dish), I won't have a heart attack or complain to you to my coworkers about how you're an asshole.

Years
  • Yeah I just go along with the polite, generic response. This is quite interesting as I work as a waiter and ask that question quite a lot, does it annoy you guys if a waiter comes over and asks about the food?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2017
    I'm usually very polite to people especially to strangers and I'm very easy to please. I'm actually pretty different from the rest my family because they're much more picky than I am! I see them complain about their food but when I try it tastes delish. :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    As a server, it's essential that you tell me the truth so that I can resolve the issue and either get you a comp for the food, or replace it with something that you may like instead. You aren't going to make anyone feel bad if you don't like the food you ordered and your food will be prioritized so the kitchen makes it as quickly as possible. If you're nice and understanding about it (as in, don't take it out on me like it's my fault you don't like the dish), I won't have a heart attack or complain to you to my coworkers about how you're an asshole.
    That's actually a fear of mine, that servers might spit in my food if I piss them off or something. :P Not that I'm usually rude, but it horrifies me when I eat out with people who just lay into the food to the server, because what do you expect them to do about it lol, they didn't make it. If it's something simple, like if my steak is undercooked I will ask the server if they can just get it a little more done for me, since I know that's not a huge deal. Or if there's something that's actually wrong with the food, of course I'll let them know.

Do you guys offer comp/replacement even if the customer just doesn't like the food? I can understand doing that if the kitchen made a mistake with the order, but I would never ask someone to replace my food just because I don't like it.

Yeah I just go along with the polite, generic response. This is quite interesting as I work as a waiter and ask that question quite a lot, does it annoy you guys if a waiter comes over and asks about the food?
    Not at all! It makes the establishment seem more professional and caring of their patrons' needs. I was mainly wondering how many people actually tell their servers if they don't like the food, because I usually say "good" or "fine" regardless. But like I said above, I have met people who very bluntly critique the food to the servers, which isn't something I'd do.

For those of you who work/worked in food services, have you encountered any customers like that?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    That's actually a fear of mine, that servers might spit in my food if I piss them off or something. :P Not that I'm usually rude, but it horrifies me when I eat out with people who just lay into the food to the server, because what do you expect them to do about it lol, they didn't make it. If it's something simple, like if my steak is undercooked I will ask the server if they can just get it a little more done for me, since I know that's not a huge deal. Or if there's something that's actually wrong with the food, of course I'll let them know.

Do you guys offer comp/replacement even if the customer just doesn't like the food? I can understand doing that if the kitchen made a mistake with the order, but I would never ask someone to replace my food just because I don't like it.
    I have never heard of anyone ever even accidentally spitting in food. Spitting in food is something that everyone claims to not even do to their worst guests and something that's not even joked about because it simply isn't funny. Its actually heavily frowned upon to even joke about. It's something that's joked about and all that by the general public and the media, but everyone who works in at least a respectable eatery takes a lot of pride in their job.

From the cooks to the dishwashers to the servers to the bussers. They are all there to provide a guest experience and do the best they can and they are all choosing with their free will to be there. They know and are prefaced that they aren't able to please everyone and they accept that. I promise you you do not need to worry about anyone, especially a server, spitting in your food. If anything, they are going to be worrying how to make it up to you if they're a good one. The service they provide to you is a direct job performance review for them. Their review is how good you tip them.

At my job, we will comp if you simply don't like your meal. We are super popular around here and we usually make multiple thousand dollars an hour, so it's not at much of a cost if you don't pay for something. We will however do our best to find something that you like so that your experience is a good one and you'll return in the future.

But by all means, tell your server that you're not really into the dish you picked.

Years
  • For those of you who work/worked in food services, have you encountered any customers like that?

Not too often, although there's sometimes a bit of drama. Like the other night, we had run out of Cheese (bearing in mind it was a busy Saturday night at about 10pm) and this drunk women started laying into the waiters and demanding to see the head chef, I suppose that's kinda a different situation, but still.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I've never had bad food. However, I've been with other people and they've had bad food, so I've taken their cue and if it happens to me, I'll signal the waiter over and inform them of the problem.

Is it true that pouring salt on the meal gets you a brand new meal instead of 30 seconds in the microwave? I've only ever heard that on the internet and wasn't sure if it's true or not.

Back