• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So THAT'S how you say it!

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
    Are there any Pokémon whose names you haven't been pronouncing correctly? How did you find out that it was wrong? Was it embarrassing? Tell your stories!

Mine was Yveltal. I was always saying it "yuh-vell-tull". Then, I was watching a cosplay show, and someone was dressing up as a Yveltal. The person pronounced it "ee-vell-tell". Luckily, it wasn't too embarrassing because I have never needed to say it out loud to anyone, so no one knew that I had been saying it wrong.

Another one was very stupid. I was not very old very old when I was playing Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. I was confused why my partner could have a nickname, but everyone else was just named for the Pokémon. This went away when I met Gengar. Being a sub-par reader, I thought he had a nickname and called him "Ginger". It took me a really long time to figure out that he isn't "Ginger", but I still like to call him that :P

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I was watching Heroes of Cosplay when it was revealed to me that it was evil-tahl, haha, so I'm in the same boat. Then again, they called a Pokemon Trainer a PokeTrainer... so I'm still skeptical. There are some others I've always had weird pronunciations with that I've never been sure are even correct:

Venusaur: Veen-uh-sore
    Pidgeot: Pij-e-aht
    Clefairy: Clee-fairy
    Clefable: Cluh-fay-bull
    Roserade: Used to call it Rose-uh-raid-y

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
    Lol being the young child I was, playing Pokemon, there were a few Pokemon I did pronounce wrong, being:

1. Kyogre (I called him "Kai-roach"). Until I heard someone pronouncing it's name on TV, I knew I was wrong xD

2. Suicune (I called him "Su-sheen"). Same as above ;)

3. This is not a Pokemon,but when I first got into playing I pronounced "Paralyzed" as "Para-lee-zed" :P

I also thought when my Pokemon was poisoned and you walked outside of battle in Gen.2 games, that the actual damage taken as soon as you walked, was Thunder/Lightning from bad weather :3

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    Let's not forget Arceus. Pretty much everyone I know says it as it's written, but according to Pokédex 3D pro, it's pronounced with a hard "c".

There's also the French name of Blaziken, that I used to see written in all caps as BRASEGALI, and read like... well, if you read this in English, it would be it: "bruz-galee". Then came Gen 5 with names of Pokémon de-capitalized, and it turned out to have an accent: "Braségali", so it's official pronouciation turned out to be a little different "bruz-eh-galee".

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I was watching Heroes of Cosplay when it was revealed to me that it was evil-tahl, haha, so I'm in the same boat. Then again, they called a Pokemon Trainer a PokeTrainer... so I'm still skeptical. There are some others I've always had weird pronunciations with that I've never been sure are even correct:

Venusaur: Veen-uh-sore
    Pidgeot: Pij-e-aht
    Clefairy: Clee-fairy
    Clefable: Cluh-fay-bull
    Roserade: Used to call it Rose-uh-raid-y

Clefairy : Cleh-fairy
    Clefable : Cleh-fable
    Roserade : Rose-er-raid

Hope this helps! nvn The rest are correct!

I've actually been fairly flawless in my Pokemon name pronouncing throughout the years, I noticed.
    The only ones I'm unsure of are Yveltal and Xerneas right now.

Yveltal : Ee-vel-tal
    Xerneas : Zur-knee-us

Is that right? ;; I honestly have no clue but that's how I've been saying them since their names were announced.
    Arceus I was also wrong on because yeah, ar-key-us apparently. Stupid.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    I've actually been fairly flawless in my Pokemon name pronouncing throughout the years, I noticed.
    The only ones I'm unsure of are Yveltal and Xerneas right now.

Yveltal : Ee-vel-tal
    Xerneas : Zur-knee-us

Is that right? ;; I honestly have no clue but that's how I've been saying them since their names were announced.
    Arceus I was also wrong on because yeah, ar-key-us apparently. Stupid.

Yveltal's is correct, Xerneas' is : Zur-knee-as

I still mispronounce the following:
    Arceus : Ar-see-us
    Pidgeot : Pidg-e-ot
    Rattata : Rah-ta-tah
    Meganium : Meh-geh-nium
    Cradily : Crah-dile-ee
    Milotic : Mi-loh-tic
    Banette : Beh-net
    Gorebyss : Gor-bys
    Regice : Re-gee-ice
    Phione : Phee-own
    Sawk : Sa-wk
    Galvantula : Gal-VAN-to-la

Years
    Oh, god. I'm absolutely terrible at pronouncing everything, let alone Pokemon. Whenever I say something wrong, all my friends immediately correct me and proceed to laugh at my ignorance. I probably say every single Pokemon in an odd way that no one else does, to be honest. D:

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    With English not being my native language, I obviously mispronounce quite a few:
    Kyogre: kee-og-reh
    Groudon: groo-don
    Rayquaza: rah-ee-quah-zah
    Hydreigon: hy-dray-gon
    Keldeo: kell-day-oh
    Genesect: gee-noh-sect
    Xerneas: zer-nay-ash
    Yveltal: why-vell-tahl
    Zygarde: zee-gar-deh

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Here's mine.

Gyarados - Gar-A-Dose
    Kecleon - Keck-Lee-On
    Kyogre - Ki-O-Ger
    Groudon - Grou-Don
    Palkia - Pal-Kia
    Sharpedo - Shar-Peedo (there is another way I pronounce it when I am having fun)
    Altaria - Al-Tar-Ri-Ah
    Crawdaunt - Craw-Dawnt
    Latios - Lat-E-Ose
    Latias - Lat-E-Ass
    Bibarel - Bee-Barrell
    Heatmor - Heat-More

Years
    In general, I've always been pretty good with Pokemon pronunciations compared to their official ones, though seeing amerininja's post completely reminded me that I continue to pronounce Illumise wrong, even though I know what it's supposed to sound like. The other one that I still intentionally say wrong is Phanpy (saying "fan-fee" rather than "fan-pee"). I know there's no second H in its name, but Phanphy sounds like a better match to Donphan than its real name.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    In a room I go to on the Pokemon Showdown! servers, there was a running gag related to Heatmor. Someone mistyped it "Hatmor" (hat-more) and then it became an inside joke among the room. It was so funny the first time that it stuck with me for some amount of time, so I was calling the poor anteater a typo.

I also pronounced Groudon "groo-don", again because of an influence from someone/something. My friend called it that, so once again it stuck to me for a bit, until I started watching the anime again.

Last edited:

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
    Giratina I always said like "Gir-at-na".
    After looking around I seem to be in the 1% that actually did that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I can't really think of any that I say wrong other than Arceus - I say "Ar-see-us" not "Ar-kee-us." Why would they use a "c" instead of a "k" if they were going for that sound; it would have made things a lot clearer.

My brother says "Heat-ran" as if they were two different words which get me every time. I say "Hea-tran" which I believe is the correct pronunciation according to the anime? No idea where he came up with his.

Years
    • Age 42
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    In my early days of playing Pokemon, I always pronounced Caterpie like Cater-pye (as in, like, pumpkin pie, lol.) It wasn't until I saw the anime that I realized that isn't how you say it. :3c {XD}

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    No matter what anyone says, I will NOT call/pronounce Arceus' and Giratina's names like how the English dub says their names!

I'm sticking to Ar-se-yus and putting the word stress on /ra/ on Giratina's name instead on /ti/. >:/

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
    Tepig, since it was my starter Pokémon in Black I always imagined it being so cute and pronouncing his name like teapig but when I watched the anime it wasn't so cute at all and pronounced as well.. really tepig. XD

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    there are two that I really messed up when I was younger:

first is growlithe, to me its growl-thee.
    second is rattata, which I love to pronounce rat-a. (I also seem to spell it ratatta)

I have kind of grown out of pronouncing rattata wrong, but for growlithe its a different story.

Back