• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spoilers!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • How do you feel about spoilers? Are you okay with them and prefer to know how a game ends, or do you go out of your way to avoid them? Have you ever found them accidentally? Cause I found a Xillia 2 spoiler last night and I am not happy about it one bit.

Years
  • I'm cool with reading spoilers for games I don't know if I'll play. For games I do, I don't usually go looking for them, but I don't get upset if I see one. Ideally I'll stay unspoiled, but if it happens, it happens.

My general policy on spoilers is that I might know what happens, but knowing and seeing it with my own eyes are usually two different things for me. So getting spoiled doesn't completely ruin it.

I know not everyone's like that, though. Sorry you got spoiled. :(

pkmin3033

I prefer to avoid spoilers where possible. Although I'm a very curious person, so sometimes it really tests my resolve and, when I can accurately predict most JRPG plots pretty well, it isn't so much spoiling it as it is getting confirmation that I'm right, so...yeah, sometimes I might read up on it ahead of time, if I'm absolutely certain. I get a certain satisfaction out of it. One of these days it's going to catch me out and I'm going to ruin a huge surprise probably, but...eh, it's the risk you take.

In the past I HAD to spoil game plots for myself, because if I didn't my classmates at school would. I had a few difficult years whilst I was still learning my way around the internet as well, as I'd inevitably spoil myself whilst looking up information for a game. These days, I'm pretty good at playing blind if I want to, at least for as long as it takes me to figure it all out myself.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I think I've become kind of jaded when it comes to spoilers these days. For example, I've heard of numerous plot details for the upcoming Fire Emblem Fates because of untagged spoilers on forums, Tumblr, or just because I was curious. At this point I don't even care. I still have to see these thing unfold myself, and some details may even change once the localized game officially releases. Without giving anything away, it looks like so far the plot isn't quite as great as people hyped it up to be. But that always happens once a highly-anticipated game releases, I suppose. At the end of the day, the thing I enjoy most about Fire Emblem is beating maps, raising units, and building supports.

I think the one genre I really do care about spoilers is visual novel type games such as Ace Attorney and Danganronpa. Much of the enjoyment in those games involves uncovering who killed who. If you prematurely discover who becomes a victim and who is the real killer, it detracts from some of the mystery-solving fun. Last year when I first played Danganronpa, I started the game knowing who the mastermind was due to posts about the anime adaptation showing up on my Tumblr dashboard. Though it's a major plot twist... I guess... knowing ahead of time didn't sully my experience because I still didn't know who would be killed/who becomes killers for the rest of the game.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If I'm really into a game, I get pretty mad if I stumble across a spoiler. Years ago when I first played Mother 3, I was looking for fan art for...probably my profile picture on here, lol. But I found a picture of the end of the game. :))))))))))))))))) Lovely. I was not happy at all, lmao. That's how I felt when I found a spoiler for Xillia 2 last night, but I was just trynna read some fluff fics rather than finding a picture, so at least it wasn't AS bad. For Chrono Trigger, I bought it used and the...well, I'm not gonna be an asshole, so:

Spoiler:

Anyway, sometimes I don't care that much, but idk. I guess depending on the severity of what is spoiled and if I'm playing the game and actually plan on beating it, then I don't wanna see any spoilers. But you can tell me how to beat a boss...that's perfectly fine with me.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Eh. I would've cared for spoilers if it was ten years ago, but at this point, I've played enough games and stories to notice any tropes that may indicate future events and such. So, I don't really care if I get spoilers at this point. Heck, for some games, I actively search for spoilers, lol.

However, there are exceptions to rules. The only series that I try my best to avoid spoilers for, is the Trails series. Specifically, I remember accidentally dropping onto a Cold Steel 2 spoiler bomb event from the endgame, before my copy came in. Now, I would've normally brushed it off, saying "I'm not going to believe a bunch of text on 2ch from people who supposedly rushed through a 70+ hour game in one day". But, they included screenshots of said event. So, I was miffed, sort of.

Slight MGSV spoilers?
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    As long as it's not a visual novel I don't care lol

I spoiled myself on Metal Gear Solid 5's ending and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. (which is, GOTY)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Hate 'em, but I'm pretty good a dodging them.

A lot of my enjoyment of something comes from experiencing and analyzing it, and I'm an overthinker so if something's spoiled for me, it's gonna linger. So, generally if something is spoiled I'll just give whatever was spoiled a good wait (as in months or years) to the point that the spoiler has either been removed or skewed to a point before jumping into it. I care about the first-time experience so if that experience is ruined in some way I'll have to deal with that in the way that best works.

But yeah, I get really into things so if something's spoiled, it can really take the punch out of an otherwise impactful experience, and I'm not for that. I play for that punch. Generally when I'm playing games I like to feel something.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    For games I know for sure I'm going to play, I prefer not to since it takes away from the surprise factor. I usually try to avoid them unless I'm unsure if I want to play that specific game or not.

Years
  • I try to avoid them if possible, might curse a bit if I end up finding a huge spoiler on accident, but eventually...I'll end up really not caring much at all.

And really, the only reason I try to avoid spoilers nowadays is because of an experience I had: when I first played FF7, I...pretty much knew what was going to happen because I had gotten a strategy guide a few months previously and had read it cover to cover already. To be fair, I didn't realize I would be getting the game later that year, thus why I bought the strategy guide since it seemed like the next best thing, and while I didn't mind knowing what all happened in the game, it also made playing it...kind of boring, since there were no twists that I wasn't already expecting.

So I try to avoid spoilers now more just to avoid making games boring to me than because I hate knowing what happens. If I run into one, it's usually just "oh, well, I guess I know what happens now meh."

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I don't particularly care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I resonate with this:
    Eh. I would've cared for spoilers if it was ten years ago, but at this point, I've played enough games to notice any tropes that may indicate future events and such.

The plot, the story, the characters and their backstories - those aren't usually what pulls me into a game. 99% of them are super generic, the "twists" and "surprises" aren't much of a surprise anymore.. I typically just see it coming. And I don't play many mystery games, where unraveling the backstory and whatnot is part of the fun. Though I don't think that'd make a difference; I already call out the killers on shows like Castle, and/or argue with Mr. Boyfriend over who did it, lol.

Hell, in many cases I actively seek out spoilers about a game's story before I buy it just because PTSD. So perhaps I've just gotten used to knowing the general plot of any movie, game, show, or book before I actually invest in it. In many other cases, I end up spoiling myself trying to learn how long I can expect a game to be, or learning about different classes/builds ahead of time. I can't help it - I want to know if I should go Rogue or Mage before I dive in, I can never decide. :Phttp://www.pokecommunity.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I don't really care if I encounter spoilers. On one hand, it ruins the big shock value, and that can be bad. On the other, it's pretty interesting to see how everything will come together to make that spoiler happen.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Depends, if the game im not really into but may try it, I may not care.
    For games im diehard or have a passion for, I will not tolerate it!
    KH, Persona, Tales, Zelda, Pokemon, Arkham games are the ones I dont wanna know what happens until i experience it.

mannakete

exec hymme Holy=Judgment sos yor
    Years
  • I really, really dislike being spoilers for games I fully intend to get into myself/play. But oftentimes I get too curious and find scattered spoilers (most Tales games, especially Zestiria now. I have never played a Tales game without being spoiled about anything except for Abyss, which got me into the series and I watched the anime willingly).
    SOMETIMES I don't care if I get spoiled, especially for games I really do not care about/will never play/have branching paths

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'm usually the person spoiling the plot for myself. 8) Like if there's a cliffhanger or something that's supposed to leave you uncertain (eg. is that guy really dead?), I almost always look up what happens next because I can't stand the suspense. I don't mind spoilers at all, really - I don't think it makes a story less great just because I know what happened before I was supposed to.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I try to avoid spoilers if I can, but they're not terribly awful for me. I don't get that upset if I hear about one honestly.

Yukari

If this is a game I've really been wanting to play/have been playing I can get really upset by spoilers.

Other than that I don't care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • If it's a game I don't have any intention of playing, then I won't really care.

If it's for a game I've had my eye on for quite a while now...watch your back, because I'm not going to let that slide.

Back