• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    The linework needs a lot of cleaning up. Too many circles, lots of thick lines where two meet, etc. Way too much black in the outline, and the shading looks unrealistic. The concept overall isn't that astounding, and the anatomy is too inorganic for my liking, except for the leaves, which look obviously pasted on.

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Heh. I followed Chesu's tut and tried to scratch my own Fakemon. Tell me what you think.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I encourage hard C+C, and someone please actually look at this, and not skip over it :)

Before you ask. Yes I know the head looks like Flareons. I was looking at it for inspiration coz heads are a little head. I didn't edit Flareon to look like this, i did it from scratch, just looked at existing pokemon to get some idea of the pose.

Years
    Heh. I followed Chesu's tut and tried to scratch my own Fakemon. Tell me what you think.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I encourage hard C+C, and someone please actually look at this, and not skip over it :)

Before you ask. Yes I know the head looks like Flareons. I was looking at it for inspiration coz heads are a little head. I didn't edit Flareon to look like this, i did it from scratch, just looked at existing pokemon to get some idea of the pose.

The thing that struck me first is pretty obvious - the size of it. Remember, you have a 64x64 (or 80x80) workspace here. Try to enlargen it a bit, and give it a distinguishing feature - for example, Raichu has the cheeks, stripes, ears and tail. The only thing I could say was a 'feature' of the sprite was the ears, but they aren't that 'amazing', either.

Additionally, it's boring. It's just an orange cat?

Moving away from the conept - the sprite looks like it's been pillow shaded, which, as you probably already know, is a major problem with Pokémon sprites. The doesn't seem to be connected to the rest of the sprite - it has outlines going straight over the legs, making it seem as if it is in front of the legs, not attatched to them.

Furthermore, you've used too many shades on the outline, leaving the actually sprite lackign of one shade. I suggest you add a brighter shade, for the head, etc. You also forgot to use the darkest shade that's on the body in the outline, making it look like it has too many black outlines. Speaking which, you have placed black outlines where it is unnecassary and where light would hit it.

It has no mouth. o.O

Not much wrong with the anatomy, except for the aforementioned (the body).

It isn't a bad sprite, but it lacks many things that it needs. Good try, though. ^^

----

That constructive enough for ya? XD I know how you feel, people skipping your stuff.

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    The thing that struck me first is pretty obvious - the size of it. Remember, you have a 64x64 (or 80x80) workspace here. Try to enlargen it a bit, and give it a distinguishing feature - for example, Raichu has the cheeks, stripes, ears and tail. The only thing I could say was a 'feature' of the sprite was the ears, but they aren't that 'amazing', either.

Additionally, it's boring. It's just an orange cat?

Moving away from the conept - the sprite looks like it's been pillow shaded, which, as you probably already know, is a major problem with Pokémon sprites. The doesn't seem to be connected to the rest of the sprite - it has outlines going straight over the legs, making it seem as if it is in front of the legs, not attatched to them.

Furthermore, you've used too many shades on the outline, leaving the actually sprite lackign of one shade. I suggest you add a brighter shade, for the head, etc. You also forgot to use the darkest shade that's on the body in the outline, making it look like it has too many black outlines. Speaking which, you have placed black outlines where it is unnecassary and where light would hit it.

It has no mouth. o.O

Not much wrong with the anatomy, except for the aforementioned (the body).

It isn't a bad sprite, but it lacks many things that it needs. Good try, though. ^^

----

That constructive enough for ya? XD I know how you feel, people skipping your stuff.

Heh, thanks for the C+C. Hopefully this will help me improve.
    This is my first try at scratching. It's not an excuse XD. I'm just saying. I thought it looked kinda good. I made it small as it was a first evo, or something. I do sometimes end up making things too small >.<.

You say I pillow shaded. Can you elaborate more on that? I was focusing around the light source and then making it gradually darker as i got along. It looked right when i looked at other Pokemon, How exactly am iI doing ti wrong?

Yeah, sorry about no distinguished part of it. I was starting simple for my first try XD. Hopefully the ext one will have something striking about it. Yeah, the ears were a little odd, and They still don't look right to me. :/. So you noticed i used raichu's pallette? Also, i think you missed out a word there. What doesn't seem to be connected with the rest of the sprite? I think your talking aobut the body. On further inspection, i notcied the the front leg that you see at the front (in other words, the front left leg) wasn't n right, it was sort fo just stuck on. Whoops @.@ better fix that.

As far as i know, when looking at raichu's pallette, it had two shades on the outline :S. Maybe it was just where i was looking, but i thought i could use them. Obviously not XD. And eyah, ti is diffuclt working out where the light is hitting the pokemon, so i need to fix the shading on the outline. It has no mouth coz i was looking at flareon, and it had no mouth either, so i decided to just use no mouth, to make it looks cute.

At least i got most of the anatomy right XD. Took me ages to get the body right, im glad it's at least acceptable. XD Can i get a grade for it?

Years
    Heh, thanks for the C+C. Hopefully this will help me improve.
    This is my first try at scratching. It's not an excuse XD. I'm just saying. I thought it looked kinda good. I made it small as it was a first evo, or something. I do sometimes end up making things too small >.<. I see what you mean, but look at Charmander/Pichu/Skorupi/etc. and then look at yours. =P

You say I pillow shaded. Can you elaborate more on that? I was focusing around the light source and then making it gradually darker as i got along. It looked right when i looked at other Pokemon, How exactly am iI doing ti wrong? Check the end of my post, ti has an example.

Yeah, sorry about no distinguished part of it. I was starting simple for my first try XD. Understandable. Hopefully the next one will have something striking about it. Okay Yeah, the ears were a little odd, and they still don't look right to me. :/ So you noticed I used Raichu's palette? Yeah, t'was kinda obvious. Also, I think you missed out a word there. What doesn't seem to be connected with the rest of the sprite? I think your talking aobut the body. ... I swear I typed body.. Yeah, you're right - the body.O n further inspection, I noticed the the front leg that you see at the front (in other words, the front left leg) wasn't right, it was sort of just stuck on. Whoops @.@ Better fix that. That's why you post sprites - to get C+CC and to spot errors. =D

As far as I know, when looking at Raichu's palette, it had two shades on the outline :S That may be true, but that sprite never had good shading. (Most D/P/Pt don't).. Maybe it was just where I was looking, but I thought I could use them. Obviously not XD. And yeah, it is difficult working out where the light is hitting the pokemon, so I need to fix the shading on the outline. It has no mouth coz I was looking at Flareon, it had no mouth either, so I decided to just use no mouth, to make it looks cute. I find it best to use a pixel-wide mouth for the cutest effect.

At least I got most of the anatomy right XD. But it would have been better with a big something, whether it be a head, tail, ear, etc. Took me ages to get the body right, I'm glad it's at least acceptable. It's a whole-round acceptable sprite. I was just pointing out the flaws. =D XD Can I get a grade for it? Probably 7/10? I'm not good at ratings, to be honest with you. =D

Responses in bold.

Re: Pillow Shading:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    (Images credit to -Smash)
    See the difference. Although that is a slight extremity, you've done Pillow Shading on the body of the sprite.

Hope I helped.

@ Froslass Maniac: I'll give some CC, but I don't think I'll give as much as I did for Vednix, 'cause my fingers are kinda hurting:

It's a very small sprite, and the colouring tells me it's an ice type, except for the fact it has a flame on his tail. it's a bit basic, and lacks any really striking features, to be honest (very similar to Vednix's. XD). The transition in shading from it's head and body is bad. There is, to begin with, no shadow below it's head. Look at your neck. See the shadow? Well, that should be there, too (not to excessively, though).

The connection from the tail and behind also seems to flow choppily (SP? Actually, is that a word? :S), and I can't seem to describe how.

Also, the shading on the body doesn't seem rough, like shading on fur is supposed to be. Check out Arcanine. ALthough it's smooth, it has a kind of jagged effect throughout the shading? That's how yours should be. I know, it's hard to do and notice, at first. I made that mistake with my Fakemon, Akutou (the Purple dog. It's in this thread, actually.), so don't worry. On the flip side, nice job on the legs.

Actually, on further inspection, the legs aren't too good. It's more of an all-round thing on the sprite, actually - the outline.
    It seems very black for me. You guys seem to forget that outlines include the darkest shade of the sprite where the lightest shade is. It's a very effective method, unless you're Darkrai... Yes, you have used the outline shade, but it is lacking certain places, such as the 'thigh' of his leg.

Like I said, it isn't going to be as long as Vednix's crit, but, there. If you want a number rating: 7.5/10? Like aforementioned, I'm crap at number ratings. Enjoy.

Last edited:
    Years
    Hehe I found a really really old sprite of mine today.
    I made it for a request once, but it doesn't seem to bad to me.
    I would appreciate some constructive critism on this one.
    Here it is!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

A rainbow horse/goat or whatever hehe!
    It must be over a year old I think :|

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    Here it is!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

That looks very good. Just that some of the shines and a teensy bit of shading doesn't make sense. Very good, tho.

Here's some of mines, peoples!
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Kinda old..

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Sorry that the first one is soo big. :/

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    Here it is!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Hmm.. loks pretty nice. Outline on the back part of the blue on the tail is too light though. Also the line coming up in front of the back leg is too long. It's a little messy, but good.

Can I get some critique on this? It's partly scratched, partly algamated.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Based of this, btw.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Hmm.. loks pretty nice. Outline on the back part of the blue on the tail is too light though. Also the line coming up in front of the back leg is too long. It's a little messy, but good.

Can I get some critique on this? It's partly scratched, partly algamated.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Based of this, btw.https://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/Chetwin007/IMG_0913.jpg

It's really good; looks like an official version of what it's based on. Good job. I don't normally pic things apart, but maybe you could re-work the sleeve on the right arm. I think adding 1 pixel would do the trick.

--- --- ---

Heh, it's been a while since I've sprited, but I decided to sprite the G/S beta Pokemon, Kurusu.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    It's really good; looks like an official version of what it's based on. Good job. I don't normally pic things apart, but maybe you could re-work the sleeve on the right arm. I think adding 1 pixel would do the trick.

--- --- ---

Heh, it's been a while since I've sprited, but I decided to sprite the G/S beta Pokemon, Kurusu.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

1 pixel..? On which side?

And beta pokemon? Do you mean this was like supposed to be in G/S but wasn't? Anyway, looks pretty nice. I would darken the outline a TINY bit. And for some reason the eyes seem a bit fuzzy.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    1 pixel..? On which side?

And beta pokemon? Do you mean this was like supposed to be in G/S but wasn't? Anyway, looks pretty nice. I would darken the outline a TINY bit. And for some reason the eyes seem a bit fuzzy.

On his right arm. Right now, the sleeve looks like it is part of his arm rather than something on his arm. Notice how the sleeve goes out a bit farther on the left arm? Having something similar going on on the other side might be a good idea. Maybe a few more pixels. It doesn't really NEED this done, though.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by beta Pokemon. Yeah, I can see what you're going at. I was originally using colors from Dewgong, but then I swithced over to Lugia and didn't change the outlines, so that could explain why. As for the eyes, I can see that a bit as well. I guess it's cause eyes normally contain only 3 colors, but I used 4. It was difficult to make 'em look right.

Years
    Wah, it seems that no one like mah pixels! So I'll post em again:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Please rate this time, kay? XD
    The Pichu is nice. My main concern is the slight lack of outline shading. I can see it's there, but it's not noticeable. Could use a bit of anti-aliasing as well. The shadow below the leaf should be a big larger, perhaps. The dithering on the leaves is a nice effect, you pulled it off well. Your highlight color on the head is too close to your base yellow. It really doesn't make any difference at the moment whether it's there or not. A touch more sparkle in the eyes would make them stand out more; the single white pixel isn't enough, I don't think. They also seem just a bit too symmetrical. I would say move the one below the leaf down a bit, but.. I'm not sure that would work. Something about them just seems awkward to me. I dunno, maybe adding more to the white spot would help that too.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    The Pichu is nice. My main concern is the slight lack of outline shading. I can see it's there, but it's not noticeable. Could use a bit of anti-aliasing as well. The shadow below the leaf should be a big larger, perhaps. The dithering on the leaves is a nice effect, you pulled it off well. Your highlight color on the head is too close to your base yellow. It really doesn't make any difference at the moment whether it's there or not. A touch more sparkle in the eyes would make them stand out more; the single white pixel isn't enough, I don't think. They also seem just a bit too symmetrical. I would say move the one below the leaf down a bit, but.. I'm not sure that would work. Something about them just seems awkward to me. I dunno, maybe adding more to the white spot would help that too.

Thanks. I ouldn't add any more sparkles to the eyes because it would also touch the outline of the line, and it looked strange. I tried to make it bigger but... yeah. The eyes looked wierd. :/ Yah sorry. And yeah, they're too symmetrical.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Can I have some C+C on this, please? Thanks in advance. :D Btw, it's in the style of R\S\E\FR\LG. ;)
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
    Can I have some C+C on this, please? Thanks in advance. :D Btw, it's in the style of R\S\E\FR\LG. ;)
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Happy Man!

Uhh, what is it? It's epic, though. I'd have that on my team.

I can't comment on anatomy, as I don't know what it is. And the shadings good. It's Poiltoed's colours... amrite?

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Happy Man!

Uhh, what is it? It's epic, though. I'd have that on my team.

I can't comment on anatomy, as I don't know what it is. And the shadings good. It's Poiltoed's colours... amrite?

Yeah, it's Politoad's colours. :D It's meant to be a frog\tadpole thing. xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back