• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurstX

Some old fart
Years
  • you should of resized it before you outlined it. but that will only be easier if you make really dark lined when you draw it

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    An average piece by an average member

That was pretty uncalled for. Although I think you're a good critic, I also see you as headstrong and at times offensive. I'm not trying to start an argument here but i will tell you, people don't take kindly to personal jibes here.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
  • Hey guys, I decided to try out a bit of pixel art because I usually enjoy trying out new uses for my creativity. Starting out simply here with an edit, which I hope it counts as.. Still learning the terminology, of the Pokemon Shuckle (My favourite btw.) with its shiny sprite.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I used all 3 known sprites as a bit of inspiration and to get some ideas on the colour, hopefully it came out pretty well, but all criticsm is more than welcome! I'd love to work my way up to improved spriting sometime in the future.

Ikwaylx

Years
  • is that shuckle a scratch?
    It may seem like a scratch, but I used the shell from the D/P sprite and then added some new shading. The head was also from the D/P sprite, but brought down with a changed expression. I also flipped it horizontally in the neck.
    The FG/LG inspiration is from the neck, although it came out a little different than I expected, while the G/S/C inspiration is from the legs... kinda.

It may seem a bit different, but it is an edit, I'm no good at scratches... At all.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    My very first sprite!

This is my very first sprite. I spent about 20minutes on it. I looks good to me. How does it look to you. Please don't hold back on your comment make as harsh as you want and tell how to improve it. Its a very basic house. Looks pokemon'ish.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I don't have school tomorrow(snow day) so ill make some more then. Until then grade this one.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Umm, I'm not sure that qualifies as a sprite, but its an interesting piece of pixel art. It looks mor elike a VG than anything.

Zee.kthxbai

Sweet Supine Surrealist
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2009
    This is my very first sprite. I spent about 20minutes on it. I looks good to me. How does it look to you. Please don't hold back on your comment make as harsh as you want and tell how to improve it. Its a very basic house. Looks pokemon'ish.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I don't have school tomorrow(snow day) so ill make some more then. Until then grade this one.

Ok, lets begin with your glaring issues:

Your lighting is absolutely wrong, unless the sun is about a mile directly west of this sprite. Even then, you're using 54 colors and that is absolutely too many for an appropriately styled game sprite.

Next, your windows don't look like windows but more like colored bars, and the black outline seperates each plank of the wood to the point that it looks like this is supposed to be an accordian house. The door is too big for the style, as well as being one of those odd left-handed outside doors I almost never see on houses.

My suggestion : Look at a house in the style you want to emulate and study all the nuances and such of it. Then come back to this, and you'll see what I mean.

Years
  • The outline could use some fixing.
    And it doesn't look like a sprite all that much, more like pixel art.
    You need black in the outline also.
    Good try though

Ikwaylx

Years
  • I have some more sprites that would be worth some criticsm if anyone doesn't mind. I don't want to create a thread, but here's quite a few more sprites.

This is mostly practicing various things such as slight scratching, shading and recolouring for shinies.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Marowak

Spriters Showcase Thread

Bulbasaur

Spriters Showcase Thread

Ivysaur

Spriters Showcase Thread

Primeape

Spriters Showcase Thread

Cubone
    Phew, that's quite a few, I'm not sure if it's against this thread or not since I posted well more than 5 sprites.
    The reason why I don't want to make a thread is because other threads in this board are much more impressive and are of much more effort. If it's against this thread, I'll gladly reduce the post to one sprite.

Years
  • I have some more sprites that would be worth some criticsm if anyone doesn't mind. I don't want to create a thread, but here's quite a few more sprites.

This is mostly practicing various things such as slight scratching, shading and recolouring for shinies.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Marowak

Spriters Showcase Thread

Bulbasaur

Spriters Showcase Thread

Ivysaur

Spriters Showcase Thread

Primeape

Spriters Showcase Thread

Cubone
    Phew, that's quite a few, I'm not sure if it's against this thread or not since I posted well more than 5 sprites.
    The reason why I don't want to make a thread is because other threads in this board are much more impressive and are of much more effort. If it's against this thread, I'll gladly reduce the post to one sprite.

Are all of these scratch?

Ikwaylx

Years
  • Are all of these scratch?
    Mostly, I make the body a scratch, but sometimes the faces are out of the question, I suck at spriting faces, so I use another sprite as a base and change the features so that they look new.
    However, I DID make one all from scratch: Caterpie, but I'm really really unsatisfied with it.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I think it's the pose, I wanted the body go around the back, but it looks like Caterpie is laying on his side. Regardless, this one IS a total scratch.

These are my first sprites technically as well, I just started and found I had a little bit of a knack for it, so I would like to get even better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back