• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 15, 2015
    I have to go with Fennekin. Chespin just looks like a baby to me. May be I'll change my mind when I see their evolutions.

My starter evos typing predictions are:

Froakie- Water / Flying: The color scheme of white and blue would match well with a Water / Flying type. The bubbles surrounding Froakie resemble clouds which are a good representative of flying type. Finally the bubbles themselves can be representative to flying type since bubbles can float.

Chespin- Grass / Rock: At first glance I would have said Grass / Ground because of the tail but after looking at Chespin's description and how it says it has a hard shell on its head, then it made me think either Rock or Steel.

Fennekin- Fire / Fairy or Psychic: This one could go either way. Both Psychic and Fairy can be used to show some kind of elegance. I prefer Fairy because its a good opportunity to put the type in the spotlight.

*Note that I'm basing my predictions off the starter alone, Im aware that the designs could go in many directions depending on what the developers chose but this is what I think is most likely.

Good predictions! I think Fennekin should be a fairy type, sinse it will make it easier to introduce the new type of pokemon. I don't thinkFroakie will be a flying type, since a flying frog dosen't seem good to me. It is pretty hard to judge these pokemon on their first stage, since starters normally don't get a second type until their third evo.

Last edited:

Hiresh

POKEMON LEGEND
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2013
    Clearly going to pick fennekin love the dual type combination
    and its so cute :D

Sirfetch’d

I was originally planning to pick Fennekin, but after some deliberation I have chosen to start with Chespin. I don't really care what his evolutions are going to look like because he is one of the most adorable things ever <3 I cannot wait to conquer the Kalos region with him!

Years
  • I was originally planning to pick Fennekin, but after some deliberation I have chosen to start with Chespin. I don't really care what his evolutions are going to look like because he is one of the most adorable things ever <3 I cannot wait to conquer the Kalos region with him!

Same thing happened to me at the start as well, I originally settled on Chespin as my fave Kalos starter but in recent months (even more thanks to the badass portrayal of him in the XY anime trailer) my favoritism of the Kalos starters seems to have shifted to Froakie. I thought he looked ugly at first, especially in comparison to the last Water starter (Oshawott) but after I saw various fanart floating around my thoughts on Froakie did change and due to my Water-type favoritism he easily became my new fave of the bunch.

I am hoping he gets an awesome evolution because you can expect loads of potential from this froggy, like how he's shown inflating his bubble collar or even throwing them as weapons a la Oshawott's scalchop. Can't wait to use him on my first playthrough!

Sirfetch’d

The only thing I'm concerned about at this point (and I'm sure I've made this clear to a number of people) is that Chespin at least gets an awesome Grass/Rock evolution. If not, Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground would do just fine, but preferably the former, it seems it would be an excellent Shell Smash user. That's my dream starter, anyway. xD;

I think Grass/Rock would really be amazing. Fire, Flying, and Ground attacks would all hit for neutral damage and would make the Chespin family really unique.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Chespin is blowing my mind. Every Grass Starter is supposed to be reptilian but this guy is a mole thing! DOES NOT COMPUTE! ERROR! ERROR! If it is to become a reptile, it will probably evolve into some ankylosaurus-type thing.

I first picked Chespin because, despite the little rant above, I love its design. It's simple, it has a good color scheme, and it looks cheery. But I think I like Fennekin just a smidge more, so I think I'll be picking that one. Of course, I'll make sure my Fennekin is girl so I can breed it and then trade it for a Chespin B)

Years
  • CHESPIN
    Tackle, Growl, Vine Whip, Rollout, Wood Hammer, Solarbeam, Leech Seed, Aerial Ace, Pin Missile ( this last move is NOT confirmed, it was noted by a supposed demo participant.)

The evolution typing could be dark, as stated in the pokebeach leak. Though, if we don't factor that leak, the possiblities are vast. It could be any combination of dark, rock, steel, perhaps others. Aerial Ace and Pin Missile are literally no help! If fairy is confimed to be super-effective on dark, that would mean a 7 type weakness, along with a X4 weakess to Bug if it becomes a grass/dark!!!

I am rooting for Rock or Steel. A type that would be better associated with armor. Though a "dark knight" motif is a possibility.

FENNEKIN
    Scratch, Tail Whip, Ember, Howl, Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Psychic, Glow Punch, Psybeam, Flame Charge

It has glowing, magical looking tufts, and it learns several psychic moves. Additionally, the names that appear to be likely true, allude to magical fox for it's evolutions' name origin. I can't see this pokemon being anything else, especially a fighting type :p

FROAKIE
    Pound, Growl, Bubble, Quick Attack, Hydro Pump, Bounce, Water Pulse, Lick, Round

It seems like Flying or Fighting could be an additional typing for evolutions.

It's noted that this pokemon is know for jumping at high altitudes. This can be associated with flying type. This could also be associated with jumping an enemy, ninjas are known for their stealthy jumping techniques. Additionally, it seems to be throwing shuriken (throwing stars) with it's bubble coat. Which, still could go either way since they look like clouds, but generally there is a strong fighting-ninja vibe, look at the pokemon selection video. It makes a clear clear jujitsu gesture! Plus, the description also describes him as duplicitous, in that he feigns his absent-mindedness in order to deceive his foes. Who knows, it could be a water/flying with a high attack and physical move pool.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • CHESPIN
    FROAKIE
    Pound, Growl, Bubble, Quick Attack, Hydro Pump, Bounce, Water Pulse, Lick, Round

It seems like Flying or Fighting could be an additional typing for evolutions.

It's noted that this pokemon is know for jumping at high altitudes. This can be associated with flying type. This could also be associated with jumping an enemy, ninjas are known for their stealthy jumping techniques. Additionally, it seems to be throwing shuriken (throwing stars) with it's bubble coat. Which, still could go either way since they look like clouds, but generally there is a strong fighting-ninja vibe, look at the pokemon selection video. It makes a clear clear jujitsu gesture! Plus, the description also describes him as duplicitous, in that he feigns his absent-mindedness in order to deceive his foes. Who knows, it could be a water/flying with a high attack and physical move pool.
    Do you have a source for these movepools? This is groundbreaking news for me, and I really, really, REALLY want to discuss this with my friends, although I need a source before wasting their time.

Politoed can learn Bounce, so that doesn't mean much. If Froakkie could learn Aerial Ace (general filler flying move anything can learn, along with being like a ninja slash) or Air Cutter (shuriken made out of wind), there'd be more merit to this theory. (But then again, it's evolutions could learn more flying-type moves.)

I still believe that Froakkie is the most likely candidate for being mono-typed. Unfortunate, yes, but 80% regions have had at least one mono-typed starter. Regardless of typing, ninja Froakkie would be awesome.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Do you have a source for these movepools? This is groundbreaking news for me, and I really, really, REALLY want to discuss this with my friends, although I need a source before wasting their time.

Politoed can learn Bounce, so that doesn't mean much. If Froakkie could learn Aerial Ace (general filler flying move anything can learn, along with being like a ninja slash) or Air Cutter (shuriken made out of wind), there'd be more merit to this theory. (But then again, it's evolutions could learn more flying-type moves.)

I still believe that Froakkie is the most likely candidate for being mono-typed. Unfortunate, yes, but 80% regions have had at least one mono-typed starter. Regardless of typing, ninja Froakkie would be awesome.
    They were some of the moves used in the demo shown earlier this week.

Also I agree with your assumption of Froakie being mono typed, thus far only one out of five generation have had all dual typed Pokemon. Coincidently the dual waters have appeared in generation where on of the mascots of the twin versions has been water while having a typing of the other mascot...(Swampert having Water/Ground while the duo mascots are Ground and Water, and Empoleon having Water/Steel with the duo mascots being Steel/Dragon and Water/Dragon (Interestingly Gen 1 doesn't count as in japan the duo versions were Charzard and Venusaur).).

Years
  • So did anyone notice this in the anime trailer?

Notice Anything Odd??
    tumblr_mrxlynm7YO1s7475ho2_250.gif

If not, look at this frame:
    Spoiler:

I am starting to love Froakie now too!

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • I wonder if it really is going to be a Fighting type? Man, that would be interesting as all heck! You know what? I'm going to go look up some Japanese myths about frogs and see what they entail, and if any bear resemblance to Froakie...

Frogs resemble good luck (which would explain my Lucky Frog in Animal Crossing :D), and may also resemble longing/returning to places of origin. Origin of Pokemon would go all the way back to Gen 1 perhaps. So maybe Froakie will bear resemblance to Blastoise and be only a Water Type (this is sounding like babble without a foundation, isn't it?). Or maybe it will even resemble an early concept for a Pokemon that never even made it into a Pokemon. I'll keep looking...

This is Farfetch'd, but there is a legend about a man who can shapeshift into a toad to fight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiraiya

Really, I'm just pulling at straws because that's all I can find. It's better to just wait for the rest of the two months lol :P

Years
  • So did anyone notice this in the anime trailer?

Notice Anything Odd??
    tumblr_mrxlynm7YO1s7475ho2_250.gif

If not, look at this frame:
    Spoiler:

I am starting to love Froakie now too!

No wonder Froakie became my fave Kalos starter lately, I had a feeling it would have a ninja motif to it. It seems to be able to use those bubbles on its collar to both attack and defend which is kinda cool, sorta reminds me how Oshawott uses its scalchop as a sword, a shield and even a boomerang.

I bet the bubbles are fired like shuriken, and if that wasn't enough to confirm a ninja motif I found this image on Tumblr:

tumblr_mrwjp9l6XD1r8sc3ro1_500.jpg

Notice the pose Froakie does in his animation when chosen in the starter selection screen, and I think he even does a ninja-like pose when he gets sent out of the Poke Ball, so I yeah I'm definitely seeing him giving off a ninja frog vibe. I'm looking forward to using him when I play the games!

Also, if one sees the battle against Serena in the X & Y demo videos on YouTube, her starter is female, same going with Shauna. So could this mean Kalos will have the first trio of starters to have 50-50 gender ratios? I know that any Pokemon with a 50-50 chance of being either gender are always the same gender as their trainer if used by an NPC.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • No wonder Froakie became my fave Kalos starter lately, I had a feeling it would have a ninja motif to it. It seems to be able to use those bubbles on its collar to both attack and defend which is kinda cool, sorta reminds me how Oshawott uses its scalchop as a sword, a shield and even a boomerang.

I bet the bubbles are fired like shuriken, and if that wasn't enough to confirm a ninja motif I found this image on Tumblr:

tumblr_mrwjp9l6XD1r8sc3ro1_500.jpg

Notice the pose Froakie does in his animation when chosen in the starter selection screen, and I think he even does a ninja-like pose when he gets sent out of the Poke Ball, so I yeah I'm definitely seeing him giving off a ninja frog vibe. I'm looking forward to using him when I play the games!

Also, if one sees the battle against Serena in the X & Y demo videos on YouTube, her starter is female, same going with Shauna. So could this mean Kalos will have the first trio of starters to have 50-50 gender ratios? I know that any Pokemon with a 50-50 chance of being either gender are always the same gender as their trainer if used by an NPC.
    I sure hope so, it's not fair that starters are mostly male...especially those that look more feminine like Chikorita...

Years
  • I sure hope so, it's not fair that starters are mostly male...especially those that look more feminine like Chikorita...

I'd be surprised if they changed things up this gen, the reason starters were mostly male was mainly to try and limit the breeding of them until one got a Ditto. Most of them even had male-looking appearances to begin with, Chikorita being a notable exception.

Most people see Fennekin as the feminine-looking one of the Kalos starters so I'd imagine most Fennekin fans wanting females. But yeah interesting thing to point out there, about Serena and Shauna having female starters.

But also, going by that video this might show that Shauna picks the starter weak to yours while Calem/Serena (depending on your gender) takes the one strong against yours. I'd still wonder what Tierno and Trevor would have assuming they don't get the other two starters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back