• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Starter Pokemon

Which starters did you choose?

• Total voters
    Years
    Remake of this thread.

So yes, like every Pokemon game in the past we all started our journey with a Grass, Fire or Water-type Pokemon that many called our trusted partner.

In Diamond, Pearl or Platinum did you pick the sturdy Turtwig, the speedy Chimchar or the cutiepie Piplup?

Or in HeartGold and SoulSilver, did you take Chikorita, Cyndaquil or Totodile?

Included a poll for easy answers, because hey why not.

Years
    When I played Platinum, I went with Piplup, as I hadn't gone with a Water type starter in a while, and I thought it was cuter than the other two. I didn't even realize that it eventually evolved into a Water/Steel type Pokemon in Empoleon, but that quickly made it one of my favorite starters that I've used, and one of my few high points of that game.

In HeartGold I went with Cyndaquil since I'd used the other two back on Gold, but I also made that choice knowing I wasn't planning on using it that much, and would be featuring other Pokemon on my team instead. It still managed to stick around as a Typhlosion right through the Elite Four, but it was always one of my lowest levelled Pokemon, and I placed it into the PC for good not long after that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In my first run of Pokémon Diamond, I ended up going with Piplup. I loved how cute and huggable it was—the way it looked at you was just simply adorable! In my second run, I chose Chimchar. Chimchar was also pretty cute, and it was able to perform quite nicely when it came to battling. Infernape, its final evolution, had a base offensive stats of approximately one-o-four, making it a great attacker, whether it be physically or specially. In Platinum, I decided to go with Turtwig. I didn't like this Pokémon as much as the other two, but still went along with it since I've never chosen it before. It wasn't so bad, but by the time I got up to the third gym, I traded it with my friend for her Combuskin. d:

In SoulSilver, I picked Cyndaquil. I've chosen it to sort relive my old memories, as it was the first Pokémon that I've ever gotten my hands on in Pokémon Silver. And while playing HeartGold, I chose Chikorita as my starter. Chikorita's eyes are very cute-looking, and it always has a big smile on its face, which never fails to bring joy to my heart. (: When Chikorita finally evolves into a Meganium, it gets a gigantic boost to its defensive stats, making it a great tank. If you utilize this Pokémon the right way, then you should be able to stall your opponent for quite a few turns.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
    Years
    My favorite is Turtwig on Diamond and all the sinnoh games and i haven't played hearthgold or soul silver yet the only game of NDS i have played is Pokemon diamond. I choose Tertwig cause of its great looking cutie design in its first form it kind look like a dog with a plant on its back and when it evolve to its 2nd form (i forget the name) it look like a turtle then when he evolve to tortera it looks like a big beast a big dinosaur with a big bonsai tree on its back :) it's great and i also like Chimcar when it evolves to Inferno it looks like a burning monkey and a baby monkey when it chimchar and pilpup is a great looking great designed cute big headed pokemon i like pilpup cause of his design and to his big and large head ha ha and when it evolve to empleon it looks like a big penguin.

DBKHD

Elite Saiyan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2022
    I almost always pick water-type Pokémon starter. In SoulSilver's case, it's Totodile. When he evolves into Fertilgatr, his ferociousness is second to none. His physical attack is much better than Typhlosion and Meganium.

In Platinum, I picked Piplup. You can't go wrong with Water and Steel Pokémon.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    On Diamond, I went with Piplup - The first time I ever went with a water pokemon, because it was a penguin pokemon. On Soul Silver, I chose Chikorita, keeping to what I chose in the original Gold and Silver games.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    In Soul Silver I picked Cyndaquil since it evolves to great looking Quilava and Typhlosion, and has stayed with me for entire game (I have not finished the game, only at the 6th gym). I can't stand the other two, by their design.

In my Pearl game I choose Turtwig... since I didn't like any of the 4th generation starters, as soon as I caught my 7th Pokemon member (who would stay in the team - who was Purugly) it replaced Torterra

Ig Pokemon Lover

The Mighty Scizor
    Years
    Heart gold i chose Cyndaquil because i like fire Pokemon and went it fully evolved it look bad ass when i first played it.

Platinum: I chose Turtwig because it looked cuddly. Then went it full evolved it was part ground which was very helpful against the electric badge and the fire type elite four.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I always go with the fire starters because I'm boring like that, haha. Fighting/Fire is a great typing, even though Emboar made us all raise our eyebrows and sigh.

As much as I love the looks of the basic Johto starters, I'm not a super fan of their evolutions, so Typhlosion is the one I can stand well enough, haha. It's rather cute and cool at the same time (especially in the anime), plus very useful in the games.

Chimchar, Infernape and especially Monferno, I love the looks of. As I had loved Blaziken in Hoenn, I picked Chimchar here and wasn't disappointed. I have yet to actually get an Infernape in Sinnoh, of course haha. But Monferno is gold. I just feel comfortable with a fire starter, possibly because there aren't too many other fire pokémon to choose from, while there are tons of water types and I don't always want a grass type on my team.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I've used every single Sinnoh and Johto starter! I had this habit that I just had to use all three starters on my first playthrough through each game, and so I did. c: Although, I do have my favourites!

I love Turtwig, its definitely a cutie. I don't like Piplup as much however considering its annoying role in the anime. Chimchar as cute too, but I never really found its move pool as great as Turtwig/Torterra's.

In regards to the Johto starters, my favourite was definitely Totodile. It was my first ever Pokemon I received as a kid. It was my powerhouse in Pokemon Gold; I've had so many adventures with my dear Totodile (which eventually evolved into Feraligatr) so it's definitely the easiest and most obvious choice out of the trio. Plus, I didn't think much of Chikorita or Cyndaquil. I don't know, I've always just found their designs quite banal.

Years
    Even though I usually lean towards Water-types, I was mainly on the Fire-type team this generation.

Piplup was what I chose on my first run of Pearl, but that was during my Dawn fangirl phase and I wanted a starter like hers in the anime. I may have stopped playing Pearl since 5th Gen launched but Empoleon was still an awesome Pokemon to use thanks to that great defensive typing it has.

In Platinum, I chose what became my real fave Sinnoh starter, Chimchar. It's based on a monkey and given that's my Chinese Zodiac sign it was fitting I'd use it, plus he gets some very strong attacks as an Infernape, adding to his role as a speedy mixed sweeper. One of my fave Fire starters to date.

And in SoulSilver, I went with Cyndaquil cos he was the only Johto starter I actually liked. The others didn't suit my style a lot, plus Cynda is really adorable. Always a fave of mine among Johto's Pokemon.

Years
    Trying to choose a starter is usually so stressful for me >.< However, I had a pretty easy time when given the option in Platinum. I went right for the Piplup. Appearance-wise, it was by far the most adorable to me, but I usually don't pick just by looks alone. So, it really came down to Empoleon's usefulness, both in and out of battle. In battle, it's unique typing of Water and Steel gave it a total of eleven resistances. And with a decent special attack stat, it can be a force to be reckoned with in-game. Out of battle, it also shows it's ability to be one of the best early HM slaves ever. With the capability to learn seven HM moves, it's a great pick! Even for those who don't necessarily want to use their starter.

When it came to choosing a starter in Soul Silver, my much-more patient self decided that we were going to get a shiny Pokémon. So, I started soft resetting . To my surprise, it only took about 30 tries to have that nice golden Chikorita smiling at me in all of it's shiny splendor. It was the first shiny I was actually happy about. :5:

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    In pokemon Pearl I took Chimchar as the other two did not interest me. I HeartGold I took Totodile as that is the pokemon I started with in Gold.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've used all of them before. I think the fourth generation had the best starters, personally. :p

Turtwig:

Cute grass type! It was certainly different. Grass-types have never really taken my fancy but there was something fun about this guy. In the beginning, Turtwig felt like a burden- being a sack of rocks. However once it started Earthquaking away, I think I appreciated the dinosaur a little more. Torterra really is a terror though. (bad joke I know :[)

Chimchar: For my first ever Pokemon of the entire series, it certainly wasn't a letdown. I loved using it throughout my entire playthrough. Only thing I'd complain about is its cry that drove me half-crazy. I had to cover my ears most of the time. Overall really cute, powerful with those fists of fury and is basically Bruce Lee in monkey form. Good stuff, Gamefreak. :]

Piplup:

Ah, good ol' Piplup. Admittedly I didn't like Dawn's that much and I thought of it as a girly Pokemon. But once I saw Empoleon, I knew I wanted to have one. So off I went! Piplup was definitely my favourite out of the trio- destroying everything with its good coverage and moves. It even single-handedly took down Cynthia's entire team. And I probably won't be forgetting it any time soon- with its stupid name of iCanFly. Keep dreaming Empoleon, keep dreaming.

Since the Johto Starters are technically generation two, I'll just talk about them briefly. Meganium is overall a really well-designed Pokemon, but its not my style. I find it frustrating to train and the only useful thing it does is shoot poison and paralysis. Cyndaquil was a monster but Totodile takes the cake. It has the best movesets, is really easy to train and an overall badass Pokemon. So that's my opinion, I guess. It hasn't changed since the day I was eight. XD

Years
    I had Diamond, Pearl and Soul Silver.
    For Diamond I picked Turtwig, for Pearl I picked Piplup and for SoulSilver I picked Cyndaquil.

Whenever I replay the games, I try to pick different starters, otherwise it just feels like a repeat, even if it's not much of a change.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
    Years
    I've picked all of them at some point or another, but my first choices of each group were:
    Chimchar in diamond, though he wasn't the most impressive thing in the World to be honest and...
    Chikorita in SoulSilver, Chikorita has always been one of my favourite starters period, so I can't say she disappointed.

Agous

Solid Mercury?
    Years
    I think its all about Turtwig. It created the best in-game run through, best moves, and it evolved into Torterra, the coolest pokemon in the game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    My favourite is Piplup, though I do love Infernape too! With the Sinnoh starters I always seem to love either the base form or the fully evolved form, so it's kind of tough to pick a favourite line from them haha. Cyndaquil is my favourite of the Johto starters as it's a ridiculously cute Pokémon and evolves into something badass, and honestly I just don't like the other two lines much at all haha. Totodile's line is ugly and scary and Chikorita's line is just... boring. :p Though I do have fond memories of Meganium in particular so that credits the line a little ♥

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    In Platinum, I choose Chimchar for no reason, but later I find out that its evolution Infernape is so cool that I'm glad I choose it.

Meanwhile in HeartGold I decided to use Chikorita because it's looking cute for a grass starter, and Cyndaquil in SoulSilver because I want to get an early fire-type Pokemon and partner, and because I like its design too.

Back