• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starters

Years
  • Spoiler:

You got to love them! You get one at the beginning of each game. They are important members of your team, with 18 to choose from (Not including Pikachu&Eevee) you must have your favourite and least favourite. I'm quite curious which starter lines you like to use the most and least. ^-^ please make your top ?? or if you are even willing to spent a little more time a count down from your favourite till your least favourite starters!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I have to ask, what is wrong with those poor starters in your picture? They all look like they are regretting their choice of actions after having swallowed a pokeball whole...

Favorite Grass Starter: Bulbasaur
    He's so beefy and awesome looking, he will always be No.001, and he pretty much invented the Wall/Stall concept in battling pokemon, no pokemon did it before him. Bulbasaur is not a ladies man, he's a land mine.

Favorite Fire Starter: Cyndaquil
    The purest Fire type pokemon I've ever used. It's completely aggressive, pure fire type that can be split between either physical or special attack evenly, or if you choose to he can do both. He's one of the few pokemon that has always felt like the Fire typing in its purest form, and in general it's just a fun pokemon to use.

Favorite Water Starter: Mudkip
    ...so i herd u liek mudkipz... You're absolutely right, I do. Mudkip is probably one of the most significantly powerful water starters across just about all of the games. His immediate immunity to one of his biggest weaknesses makes him an automatic power house, and with access to most of the most powerful sweeping water and ground moves, just makes him crazy powerful and useful. Honestly, playing with Mudkip in the third generation feels like playing the game in easy mode, right from the beginning.

Years
  • 1. Bulbasaur
    Starters
    2. Cyndaquil
    Starters
    3. Chikorita
    Starters

4. Fennekin
    Starters
    5. Snivy
    Starters
    6. Torchic
    Starters

7. Mudkip
    Starters
    8. Oshawott
    Starters
    9. Charmander
    Starters

10. Froakie
    Starters
    11. Squirtle
    Starters
    12. Turtwig
    Starters

13. Totodile
    Starters
    14. Treecko
    Starters
    15. Piplup
    Starters

16. Chimchar
    Starters
    17. Chespin
    Starters
    18. Tepig
    Starters

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    fav to least fav:

1. snivy
    2. torchic
    3. chikorita
    4. piplup
    5. fennekin
    6. cyndaquil
    7. charmander
    8. squirtle
    9. treecko
    10. bulbasaur
    11. mudkip
    12. froakie
    13. chimchar
    14. turtwig
    15. totodile
    16. chespin
    17. oshawott
    18. tepig

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I have to ask, what is wrong with those poor starters in your picture? They all look like they are regretting their choice of actions after having swallowed a pokeball whole...
    To answer your question...you really don't want to know. It's better for you to not know.

My favorite starter of them all is Charmander, then Chimchar, and then Oshawott. After that, the list of who I like more than the others changes. But the Fire starters all remain high on my list of favorites because I like Fire types more than Grass or Water. Oshawott's just special because it's adorable and has been one of my favorite Pokemon since it was revealed.

Least favorites are either Snivy or Treeko. Not that there's anything wrong with them that I can put into words, but I just seem to always go out of my way to not use them.

Years
  • Water: This is a toss up here, as my favorite of the individual, unevolved starters is Squirtle, but if we're going with the entire line, my vote goes to Piplup, as Empoleon is probably my favorite fully-evolved starter Pokemon. The Water/Steel typing is still one of my favorite to date, since it has very few weaknesses and at least 9 or 10 resistances on top of it.

Fire: After going through each generation, I never really realized how little I care for the Fire type starters until just now. I guess my vote will go to Charmander, since I'm pretty indifferent about the rest of them. I guess I would make Fennekin second, but other than their typing, I can't say I really care for either Braixen or Delphox.

Grass: The Grass type starters are my favorite, and if I were to list out all my favorite starters from 1-18, they'd probably take up 5 of my top 10. My favorite out of all of them though would be Treecko. In fact, the Treecko that I first started with on my Sapphire 10+ years ago is my oldest surviving Pokemon, currently sitting in my HeartGold cartridge.

Years
  • Oops, I almost finished my list of eighteen but I accidentally pressed the back button.
    I feel bad for those starters. Poor things, they must have eaten too many pokepuffs...
    Well, I'm not typing it up again (I'm on a phone) so here are my favorite of each type:
    Fire- Fennekin. Fire is my favorite type and Fennekin is my favorite Pokemon.
    Grass- Snivy.
    Water- Oshawott
    My least favorite is either Froakie or Chimchar.
    I also dislike Tepig, Turtwig and Chikorita.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Let's see my favorite starters are Bulbasaur, Treecko, Torchic, Piplup, and Fennekin. That's considering how usable they have been to me and their designs.

My least favorites are Mudkip, Tepig, and Snivy.

All the others fall somewhere in between. Generally the Johto starters are pretty forgettable to me, but I don't hate any of them. They're just very bland.

Huseyin

Not positive, not negative
    Years
  • Number 1 = piplup
    I like piplup because i Always choose him in platinum and piplup is so cute. Just look at it's face. Piplup is also the first pokemon that i could draw.

Number 2 = torchic
    Torchic is a pokemon i Always liked because it evolves into a strong pokemon and is cute on it's base stage. It's middle form is also not so forgetable like most of the others . I Always spend the most time with combusken too and combusken has won me the battle tent in verdenturf city in pokemon emerald ( the one where the AI chooses the moves ).

Number 3 = chicorita line
    Chicorita is the 1st pokemon i owned and i am also one of the few people who choose chicorita . Chicorita was Always cute in my opinion. It has Always helped me win the pokeathlon in heartgold too.

That is my top 3

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Favourite Water type: Mudkip... Because, do you liek Mudkipz? And it's the first starter I ever chose and is super cool and awesome and yeah

Favourite Fire type: Charmander because I have a deep liking for the Charmander line of evolutions.

Favourite Grass type: Turtwig. I don't really use the Grass starters other than Turtwig in Gen IV. However Treeko comes in a close second due to its sassyness in the anime (of which I have seen very little) and it's evolution line is hella cool.

daynbrian

A pokemon lover loving hacks
    Years
  • Favourite water type: Squirtle hands down.It is so awesome and it's evolution line is also super cool.

Favourite fire type: Charmander of course.It was always my starter pokemon when i played 1st gen games

Favourite grass type: Well this is a bit difficult.I'm really not sure to who choose between Bulbasaur and Snivy.Bulbasaur is a heavy hitter but Snivy is really fast.Perhaps both are my favourite

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Fire: Charmender, because the line is similarity to a dragon-hybrid
    Grass: Snivy because it's evolution so regal and elegant, Treecko cuz you know mega secptile is awesome
    Water: Froakie because being ninja is awesome, also Oshawott for being cutest water starter outcute chikorita by longshot

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    yeah can we please change the pic in the OP lmao

Starters

I always preferred the fire starters.

Charmander is my absolute favorite. Followed by Chimchar and Torchic, probably (or rather their evolutions). I don't like Cyndaquil and Fennekin quite as much, but Emboar is badass yo.

Chikorita (but not it's evolutions) and Bulbasaur probably come next, along with Chespin (and Chesnaught!!!<333) but I don't care much for the other grass starters.

The water types are mostly boring imo. Granted, Froakie and Squirtle, Oshawott and Piplup are pretty cool but they don't quite reach the splendor of the fire starter's final evolutions, or the cuteness of Chiko and Bulba's first stages.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Spoiler:

(sry for the size, in-post seems the resizing is futile)

But aside the pun I don't care.
    PS: charmander sux for it dies if you watergun its tail (or simply rains, swimms etc.).

Years
  • Hmmm I'm quite picky with my starters. There are a few I really love, some I like, and the others I just don't really care about much. I've done plenty of playthroughs where I ditched my starter as soon as I could.

In general, I'd say gen2 has the best starters. Typhlosion is my absolute favourite. Ever. Meganium is my favourite grass starter. Feraligatr is really cool, too, but my favourite water starter has got to be Swampert (even though I don't like its mega).
    Gen1 starters are all good, but not amazing. (Though of course, nostalgia gives them a special place in my heart)
    Others I quite like are Torterra, Chestnaught and Sceptile. Fennekin was really promising but I don't particularly like its evolutions :<

Stealthfire

Steel-Type Master
    Years
  • Here is my list:
    1) Treecko - Treecko was the first starter I ever got, and it will forever be my favourite.
    2) Charmander - A really close second, though.
    3) Piplup
    4) Torchic - I like Piplup and Torchic about the same amount. Their spots on this list could be interchangeable.
    5) Mudkip
    6) Snivy
    7) Cyndaquil
    8) Oshawott
    9) Froakie
    10) Squirtle
    11) Fennekin
    12) Totodile
    13) Chimchar - This marks the point where I dislike using this Pokemon as a starter.
    14) Bulbasaur
    15) Turtwig
    16) Chikorita
    17) Tepig
    18) Chespin

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Favourite Fire starter: Tepig (I like Emboar a lot, and Tepig is the cutest fire starter.)
    Favourite Grass starter: Turtwig (Torterra may be useless in OU but it's really strong in-game, and Turtwig is cute.)
    Favourite Water starter: Totodile (Feraligatr's my favourite starter of all time.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Gotta be charmander then bulbasaur, then every other fire and leaf type,. I never pick water, it's a boring type to start with imo

Back