• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Starting Mystery Dungeon

Years
  • Hey, I've decided that I want to try the Mystery Dungeon series, as I've heard really, really good things about it. Trouble is, I don't know which title I should get first. What do you guys suggest? Note, I only own a Nintendo 3DS, so a Switch game wouldn't exactly be a great suggestion.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I can only attest to the quality of the original Mystery Dungeon pair and the three NDS games - which I don't think are available for the Nintendo 3DS per se, although you should be able to buy a cartridge for Explorers of Time / Darkness / Sky and have it play on a 3DS?

I didn't like Gates to Infinity and apparently that was a bit of a fan consensus? It's a lot of people's bottom entry, but from checking a couple of reviews, it appears that Super Mystery Dungeon picked the series back up to where expectations were (if perhaps a bit easier than the older games).

So, I guess I'd recommend getting Mystery Dungeon Blue, Explorers of Sky or Super Mystery Dungeon in that order.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • Both Red/Blue and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky are amazing!

I'd suggest starting from Red or Blue and the going towards the newer games in order, as the Pokémon availability follows the Gen they were released in, of course.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • It depends. If you really want an amazing story right off the hook: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky (they work like the main games where Sky is the third version with more content) =)

If you prefer to build a concise and clear expectation: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team and follow the order.
    There's also a remake of this one for the Switch in case you decide to go with Explorers first! ^^

Then you have Gates to Infinity and Super Mystery Dungeon. I never played these 2 but just for the fact that they are 3D I would recommend you to start with the one of the 2D genere.

Years
  • I've heard Sky has an incredible story, so I definitely agree with those suggesting that if that's what you're looking for. But can't go wrong with the originals either! I personally think I'd recommend R/B and then Sky in that order, since that's the order I want to go through them myself.

Years
    • Seen today
    This is one of the rare exceptions where I think you could start with anything. I've played everything except Gates To Infinity, and every game has been wonderful. Explorers of Sky did live up to the praise for me.

Back