• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stop Internet Bullying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm not sure if it's true, but this blog post surfaced recently. The blogger claims to be the woman who created the profile and gives "her side." Again, I'm not sure if it's really her, but if it is, it's disgusting.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    lol

I can say I must have major lulz for yet another an hero. Did they try buying a dog?

Years
    We could also debate the emotional infirmity of the girl.

I don't stand along so caled "internet bullying" but let's think a bit and decide if the problem was a frail self-esteem and/or selfishness on Megan's part besides anything else.

SilencedShooter

Revenga
    Years
    The internet is full of bullies, and I don't know why. My guess is that internet bullies must have really bad personal lives, and have to take it out on people they don't know, but this isn't the case. The lady who did this seems like a horrible person, and I really hope she feels bad about this, and if not, I really hope she lives a miserable life. It may be harsh, but the kid was 13. 13!!! Nobody should die that early.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    Wow thats sad.. =/ I hate people who bully me online but the cool thing is I can argue bck and talk back to them without getting yelled at but thats just me... Thats sad
    That mom should seriously pay for what she did.I to have been bullied online but I didn't really care what they thought..but still....

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    There is a theory why people change when they are on the internet.

Amachi says: Just because you put an age limit doesn't mean you can still post it

Anonymousness brings ego and ego brings spite. Being mean online is a form of ego maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Instead of showing remorse to the death of a young girl, she files a complaint over a foosball table? That's completely ridiculous.

This sort of reminds me of another incident where a guy ran a teenager over with his car and then sued him for damaging his windscreen wipers. There are unbelievable gits in the world, trust me. xP

That being said, the girl in question must have had some serious mental issues already to just commit suicide over someone she had never even met. Does this make what the mother did right? Of course not, that kind of manipulation with the sole intent of harming someone is just plain sadistic and deserves to be punished, but in all honesty: where were the girl's parents? I mean, how can your own kid slide into suicide plans without you even noticing it? Cutting her off from the intraweb in time would have averted the whole incident. -.-

Tragic though this is, I'm opposed to the whole 'monitor the whole wide internet' thing; once you open that can of worms, we get serious censorship and stalking habits from official parties. The interpol people aren't perfect little angels, you know, and I'd prefer for them not to poke their noses into everyone's business because of an isolated incident. The notion that police surveillance could somehow prevent this from ever happening again is also incredibly naive; I mean, they were being all lovey-dovey right up to the point where the 'go kill yourself' came along, weren't they? The damage would already have been done by the point where it becomes noticeable, so it really wouldn't be much of a fix.

To be honest, I think the moral of the story here is: keep mentally unstable people off the internet. There are, and always will be, people looking to manipulate you for their own needs or just plain bash you for an ego trip, that's an inevitable part of having a medium open to all and no matter how tight the censors you can't avoid the problem so I'd say that the best bet is to keep people off the internet until they learn not to take it so personally. As for the law...well, it's true that psychological damage is hard to punish legally, but that's because it's so hard to define it in a way that doesn't leave room for lawsharks to jump at each and every sentence someone lets out and demand compensation. :\

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    He cut a pretty pathetic figure, though; that wasn't a very organized or well-formulated argument and the constant swearing is just really dropping his credibility. .__.

Hate to say it, but that's precisely the sort of thing trolls are looking for; a reaction, specifically one where the person is clearly upset (did I just imagine things or was he on the verge of crying there?). Yes, trolls suck, but the best way to handle the situation is to stick to forums with a clear anti-troll stance where you can count on the staff to clean their filth off the place. Seriously, if you could toss around death threats and flame people without reprisal then the places he was hanging around were pretty crappy to begin with.

As for the hackers...get a firewall and proper anti-virus programs. It sucks, but there's really no way to keep them from popping up in places, especially since getting past a ban is usually not hard for them. I'm all for a future without either type of people, but I'm too much of a cynic to think that it will actually happen. If it does, it will certainly not occur through giving them the satisfaction of knowing that they got to you like that. If mentioning laws or rules would scare them then they wouldn't be doing what they do to begin with.

I say hack the hackers' accounts. :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    Internet bullying is just wrong. The girl had mental issues and the woman knew it. That is disgraceful - she should be locked up right now. Not being able to find the right crime? How about manslaughter?

No, interpol are idiots. I mean, if they weren't, most of these horrible things would never happen. But I do have to agree with Ego that I really wouldn't want to be stalked by them.

So, the only way to stop them is to stay strong and ignore them, they'll get bored and die off. That's my view, anyway.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    I have to say, it is pretty funny that two mature ADULTS came up with the idea to trick some poor girl into thinking that she had an internet buddy, and then caused her to kill herself.

But in reality, it's not funny. Internet bullying has caused a lot of serious things to happen, like Nevada-tan. No matter how fun it is to bully someone, it has severe consequences.

However, trying to stop internet bullying would be next to impossible. What can you do? Introduce a bill to combat trolling/bullying? If so, that would be a violation of free speech.

On and offline bullying have been around for many years, but online bullying has opened up new doors for more serious attacks on the victim. I would know. I have first hand experience with the subject.

@ Short Range: Don't mind them. They're just trolls. Don't wish death on them, that's their way of having a good time. :I

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
    Years
    Don't mind them. They're just trolls. Don't wish death on them, that's their way of having a good time. :I

Having a good time at the expense of others is not cool. These are the type of people Light from Death Note would kill with illnesses. I wish I could do the same.

Too bad for intelligent people like us, Death Notes don't exist. Not in that sense.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    Having a good time at the expense of others is not cool. These are the type of people Light from Death Note would kill with illnesses. I wish I could do the same.

Too bad for intelligent people like us, Death Notes don't exist. Not in that sense.

If Death Note existed, you'd be headed to jail. An intelligent person would ignore the trolls or try to understand what they do.

Satire floods the internet, and this girl is not exempt from jokes regarding her death. Someone will say something. No matter what.

To some, finding something amusing is a way of coping with the problem. Which is why you see a lot of parodies of 9/11 floating around on the internet all the time. A big crowd of people find humour in serious situations and cope with it by using satire and sarcasm, even bullying.

Joking about her death may be unthinkable to most people, but to a certain crowd on the internet, they can find humour in it.

These people who make fun of the grieving are not necessarily unintelligent. These are people who use the internet as an escape from the reality of the world. Being serious about something does not make someone smarter, it may make them more mature, but their IQ doesn't go up just because they want to kill the trolls.

Years
    This really is sad. I've actually witnessed a few people being threatened online for doing absolutely nothing. My sister has had multiple people, thanks to MySpace and Facebook and all that crap, which I STRONGLY hate, comment on her pictures in a rude manner.

She had a picture of her and her friend, and others were jealous because it said "BFFL (Best friends for likfe)", they thought that they were my sister's best friend, so they just started calling the girl rude words. This caused a huge fight, and even some friends to not be friends anymore. MySpace and Facebook are one of the main reasons for this. Instead of posting online for anyone to see, why not just take a picture and bring your camera to your friends, or just send them to people who you want to see the pictures.

MySpace and Facebook have advantages, sure, but didn't this whole incident happen because the "mother" was commenting on this girl's pictures?

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
    Years
    If Death Note existed, you'd be headed to jail. An intelligent person would ignore the trolls or try to understand what they do.

If the Death Note existed, I'd not go to jail. I'd get the death penalty.

Trolls are trolls. They have no right to exist at all. An intelligent person would know that and eradicate them, not ignore the problem so it's allowed to get worse.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    If the Death Note existed, I'd not go to jail. I'd get the death penalty.

Trolls are trolls. They have no right to exist at all. An intelligent person would know that and eradicate them, not ignore the problem so it's allowed to get worse.

An even more intelligent person would realize that a personal opinion on trolls posted on a pokémon forum does not constitute an objective measure of a person's intelligence.

And incidentally...you're the kind of person trolls love. Ever taken a look at the Smogon forums (a.k.a. the flamepit)? They quote stuff like yours and have a good laugh over it. Way to go eradicating trolldom. =O So like, before you go calling anyone's intelligence into question, how about providing an actual idea for how the 'eradicating' is supposed to be done, oh intelligent one? Mass genocide, perhaps?

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
    Years
    An even more intelligent person would realize that a personal opinion on trolls posted on a pokémon forum does not constitute an objective measure of a person's intelligence.

And incidentally...you're the kind of person trolls love. Ever taken a look at the Smogon forums (a.k.a. the flamepit)? They quote stuff like yours and have a good laugh over it. Way to go eradicating trolldom. =O So like, before you go calling anyone's intelligence into question, how about providing an actual idea for how the 'eradicating' is supposed to be done, oh intelligent one? Mass genocide, perhaps?

I'm aware. But if the topic comes up, may as well talk about it.

You would know about Smogon, wouldn't you. I bet you'd fit perfectly there. It would be nice if you went there instead of here.

Mass genocide's about the only way to permanently fix the problem, so yeah. Human beings don't change without drastic measures, and it's not like trolls listen. There's also no way to effectively ban trolls from the Internet, so yes, that leaves mass genocide.

I wouldn't mind sacrificing my life to do this. If it meant the permanent end of trolling and flaming online, then one life is hardly any price to pay.

...Besides, everyone hates me. :P

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    You would know about Smogon, wouldn't you. I bet you'd fit perfectly there. It would be nice if you went there instead of here.

That was not really called for and I think you know it. When waging war on the trolls, always take care not to become one yourself.

Mass genocide's about the only way to permanently fix the problem, so yeah. Human beings don't change without drastic measures, and it's not like trolls listen. There's also no way to effectively ban trolls from the Internet, so yes, that leaves mass genocide.

Won't work, I'm afraid, not unless we sterilize the survivors so they don't breed and start plunking out new trolls and then we've wiped out humanity which seems just a tad...erm...overblown? x3 I'm ethically opposed to killing anyway; once you kill a person for a good reason you're only a step away from doing it for a bad one as well. Some of the world's worst villains believed themselves to be saviors of humanity, you know.

So like, if you've already admitted that nothing short of Nazi tactics will get rid of trolls, why do you insist on bashing those of us who believe that we should focus on dealing with what we're stuck with rather than whining about why we can't change it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back