• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Yeah like I said, this is just art work and not an in-game map. Wheres the 15? They could also go for less towns, more wilderness which makes sense for the region.

There's a town on the left island, it's in the southeast of that island.

There's also another one I think on the main island that wasn't marked.

I noticed that the artificial island's big building has what looks like Solgaleo's sun symbol.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I would say basically anywhere with a Pokemon Center is a different Town. I am doubting that they would have so many random Pokemon Centers scattered when they have had doctors. Not to mention it looks like the Poke Marts will be returning in Poke Centers, as I do not see consistent buildings that would be a Pokemon Mart in every town.

There is 3 to 4 on the starter Island. 2 Pokemon Centers. You have them circled, but there is another Pokemon center near the edge. of the big town.

Second Island, the top right, has about 6 pokemon centers. 2 right next to each other near the port building. The bigger town near the center of the island. One at the very top of the island, one a bit south of it, and another south of it.

The biggest island also has about 6. The gated town. 2 on the mountain, maybe one, the big town with the port on the right side. One near the beach/water route south of the gated city. Then 1 or 2 on the south side of the mountain.

And on the empty island where the legends will probably be, there is 1 town. It might just be a few buildings though.

Some of these could be 1 big town, but these are what I think are towns or villages. Some could be really small. It is really hard to tell where the routes are. Some are obvious, but there is so many buildings scattered that it is really hard to tell.

The orange circles are what could possibly be towns.

Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Last edited:

Years
    Looking at the Top Left and Bottom Left cloud they kind of looks like Ho-oh and Lugia.

Wow they do...I wonder if we can find other mons there. I hope that those two legends get Megas or Primals. I can see their Mega stones or item come from fusing their bell with their respective wing.
    Maybe this region will bring back a legend from every past Gen and give them a powerup.
    Kanto: Mew, Johto: Bird Duo, Hoenn: Jirachi, Sinnoh: Cresselia and Darkrai, Unova: Victini, Kalos: Zygarde and Volcanion.

Years
    I wonder what's hidden under the clouds. The map shows what seem to correspond to seven of the main Hawaiian islands - not including the seemingly artificial island in the center, of course. But assuming that the island with the lighthouse is a separate island, and taking into consideration the tiny island with just one tree off by itself, there's no island to correspond to the island of Molokai. That island should be between the 'starter' island the the one to its right. There is a cloud there though, right at the top center that could easily be hiding another island.

Years
    I wonder what's hidden under the clouds. The map shows what seem to correspond to seven of the main Hawaiian islands - not including the seemingly artificial island in the center, of course. But assuming that the island with the lighthouse is a separate island, and taking into consideration the tiny island with just one tree off by itself, there's no island to correspond to the island of Molokai. That island should be between the 'starter' island the the one to its right. There is a cloud there though, right at the top center that could easily be hiding another island.

Irc the Battle Resort was hidden in clouds in OrAs Hoenn's first map, so we might have more.

Btw, does anyone else think that the reason they added that artificial island there was to allow there to be a center point in the map? I remember learning that the eye tends to wonder around a page without a center point. The artificial island brings the region together, visually speaking.

Years
    Irc the Battle Resort was hidden in clouds in OrAs Hoenn's first map, so we might have more.

Btw, does anyone else think that the reason they added that artificial island there was to allow there to be a center point in the map? I remember learning that the eye tends to wonder around a page without a center point. The artificial island brings the region together, visually speaking.
    Probably something like that. Or maybe to make the map slightly less linear since without it it would just be a curve. This way you can think of it as a way to get from those two islands on either side of the starting island without actually traveling to the starting island. The paths the boats make sort of shows you how you might travel around.

I'm rather surprised they got a good looking map with all the islands in one image and that it still resembles Hawaii enough to be easily recognized.

Years
    Probably something like that. Or maybe to make the map slightly less linear since without it it would just be a curve. This way you can think of it as a way to get from those two islands on either side of the starting island without actually traveling to the starting island. The paths the boats make sort of shows you how you might travel around.

I'm rather surprised they got a good looking map with all the islands in one image and that it still resembles Hawaii enough to be easily recognized.
    Yeah, I thought that perhaps they'll have to break it into small maps like the in game maps of the Sevii islands to make it look good. There seems to be a dex for every island, as a Japanese screenshot shows two dexes. There's five sections shown. Two with names, three that are blank. Perhaps there's another island. Or a post game mini region someplace else.

Years
    Yeah, I thought that perhaps they'll have to break it into small maps like the in game maps of the Sevii islands to make it look good. There seems to be a dex for every island, as a Japanese screenshot shows two dexes. There's five sections shown. Two with names, three that are blank. Perhaps there's another island. Or a post game mini region someplace else.
    I really hope there are more islands. Hawaii does have several more smaller ones that are uninhabited (by humans anyway) and those sound like the perfect place for some post-game exploring for rare or legendary Pokemon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I don't think we can count it out. I am thinking there will still be an island based on Easter Island, but not 100% sure.

I would love to say that I am certain the clouds are hiding stuff, but don't want to get my hopes up. I rearranged a map of Hawaii to somewhat match Alola, but it isn't 100% accurate. I think the artificial island my be a representation of one of the smaller islands that are in a cluster.

There is also 1 island they don't use, but it could be in the south clouds.

Spoiler:

The island they don't use is almost a perfect match for the south cloud, and the island that I put just south of the top right island might be the one hidden by clouds.

Last edited:
    Years
    I really hope there are more islands. Hawaii does have several more smaller ones that are uninhabited (by humans anyway) and those sound like the perfect place for some post-game exploring for rare or legendary Pokemon.

If the Sevii Islands showed us how good postgame exploration across islands could be, I'm sure we could see more hidden islands that would serve for good postgame, heck maybe Game Freak might actually break the usual streak of generation-debut entries having minimal postgame content, and going all-out would make sense for the 20th anniversary.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    While there seem to be a lot of impressive places, Kalos had the same thing going for it--a lot of impressive places. But with nothing substantial to do in them, they all ended up being quite forgettable. There also doesn't seem to be any "post-game" area, so that's already a let-down for me. I also don't think there's anything under the clouds--all that was under the clouds of ORAS's map was the Battle Maison Island, which, honestly, I'd be devastated if it returned. The clouds are likely drawn into the image as design elements, so there isn't just a huge swatch of blue with nothing to break it up.

That all being said, I think there's some interesting things here. The large...illuminati triangle altar is probably where we get the legendary, based on the first trailer's scene with them. Also, the very very north-east island kind of covered by clouds has some enormous...Yggdrasil bud or something. I want to believe it has some (narrative) connection with that giant tree that has heavenly light pouring onto it... but in XY I thought the tree up north was where you could catch Xerneas, and that turned out to just be a Gym. So for now I shall simply shrug and say "Perhaps."

On the easternmost island I spy our "always raining" route, and some red...stuff and something interesting to the right of that. There also seems to be a graveyard(?) to the island northwest of there.

There are some cool Japanese-looking areas, but aside from that I can't say I'm impressed. Or rather, I refuse to say I'm impressed, because this all is giving me deja-vu with how impressed I was with Kalos's map.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Love the news! Pokedex Rottom is amazing and looks promising. The characters are great and have a lot of potential. Also seems like there's a lot of new pokemon. And I hope some are previous gen evos if Rottom got a new form. It gives me hope.

The islands themself are pretty cool. I expect a lot of exploration and hidden things. I also like that they have the Seven sacred pools it seems. A legend could hide there maybe. The region looks pretty amazing. I can;t wait to see more!

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I think the map looks small. Maybe it's because the map have more details - which looks good - but I feel like we don't have much to explore. It's mostly cities. I don't mind honestly, the only thing I don't want is to surf to an island to another.

SinnohBorn

Andrew
    Years
    Im really excited to see what they do with this new region. I have been to Hawaii once (And im going this summer!) and it surely is beautiful. This new region already looks amazing, and what i think they will do will have each and every Pokemon available in these games. Nice islands, great graphics. Honestly, what could go wrong?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I think the map looks small. Maybe it's because the map have more details - which looks good - but I feel like we don't have much to explore. It's mostly cities. I don't mind honestly, the only thing I don't want is to surf to an island to another.

I think the main reason is just the art style they are using for the map. I can see why you would think it is small. The routes are extremely hard to pin point. But with there being 14 or 15 Pokemon Centers, there is probably about 20 routes at least. Possibly more, they are just really hard to tell. On the top island, it looks like there is 2 towns really close together, but I think you have to go around that like nature area between them, which might be about 2 routes.

I was never really impressed by the Kalos map. It looked nice, but it is lacked a lot compared to this map.

The biggest island is huge. I think the towns just look close together. I couldn't even fit the island in 1 screen shot when fully zoomed in.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think splitting the Region up into smaller islands will make it feel all the more bigger. Each island contains a handful of areas and towns to explore each with their own style, and that's great! Combining the islands together to make one giant region would probably match the size of most other Regions, if not slightly bigger. Even on closer inspection it does seem like collectively this Region will be fairly larger than others due to the fact that we will be travelling to and from the different islands.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The thing is with these maps (ORAS's and now SM's) is that every single thing is on them--straight down to the number of generic houses. Nothing is left to the imagination with these maps...not that that's a bad thing! Especially with Alola's; it's beautifully rendered and is chock-full of detail. But rather, if you don't see it on the map, it almost certainly means it isn't there. And just because you can see something on the map doesn't mean you can visit it (like that volcano with the green in the crater on the "first island;" I don't think you'll be able to go inside it). So unless there's some other island off this image, what you see is what you get. While that does make it fun to look at the super-hi-res picture and try to pinpoint every little thing, it does make you wonder if it's all actually accessible, or if it's going to be like Kalos where there are things you can see but can never reach.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    White thing in the middle also reminds me of the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor a little bit.

Back