• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • I bet that waterfall will be the one hinted at in XY by the lady who said there's a waterfall that flows backwards. I can also see it connected to Marshadow.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    The moondial could be that flat fiscus in the middle of the forest, very occulty.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • That terrace waterfall portion reminds me of Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park, so it makes me think they're a hot spring area. Which kinda makes sense, because it's on the same island that has the active volcanoes... in fact, they're actually nearby. Speaking of... this is gonna sound nitpicky, but a pet peeve of mine is that the active volcanoes are not on the big island like they are in real life. But overall, I'm still very pleased with everything that we've seen.

Also... I'm starting to wonder if we will no longer encounter Pokemon in our usual tall grassy areas. So far we've seen what looks like more of an open-world exploring environment, and we've yet to see any footage of wild encounters(we'll probably get that in E3 footage). With that said, I'm wondering if the wild encounters will resemble something like the PokeSpots that were in XD: Gale of Darkness. But without the PokeBlocks, instead our Rotom-Dex will notify us when and where a Pokemon appears somewhere along a route.

As for any Kalos relations, it does seem like there have been a lot of hints in XY. The more I think about it, Kalos was pretty much overtaken by not only nods and elements of Gen 1 but also hints towards Gen 7.

Years
  • Also... I'm starting to wonder if we will no longer encounter Pokemon in our usual tall grassy areas. So far we've seen what looks like more of an open-world exploring environment, and we've yet to see any footage of wild encounters(we'll probably get that in E3 footage). With that said, I'm wondering if the wild encounters will resemble something like the PokeSpots that were in XD: Gale of Darkness. But without the PokeBlocks, instead our Rotom-Dex will notify us when and where a Pokemon appears somewhere along a route.

If I recall watching the trailer we did see some patches of the usual wild encounter grass so it seems unlikely they'll abandon the traditional wild encounter. The feature of Rotom Dex could be a glorified version of the DexNav which was a well-loved feature in OR/AS.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Also... I'm starting to wonder if we will no longer encounter Pokemon in our usual tall grassy areas. So far we've seen what looks like more of an open-world exploring environment, and we've yet to see any footage of wild encounters(we'll probably get that in E3 footage). With that said, I'm wondering if the wild encounters will resemble something like the PokeSpots that were in XD: Gale of Darkness. But without the PokeBlocks, instead our Rotom-Dex will notify us when and where a Pokemon appears somewhere along a route.

To be honest, that is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. That is one of the dumbest things they can do. Especially with them wanting to bring other ways to catch pokemon. We have hardly seen footage to confirm that.

Not to mention we haven't had any other pokemon to encounter in the grass reveled. Usually the only time they show wild encounters, it is when they are revealing new pokemon.

And all of the in game footage has been in a town or on the outskirts were no wild pokemon would probably be at.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not to mention we haven't had any other pokemon to encounter in the grass reveled. Usually the only time they show wild encounters, it is when they are revealing new pokemon.

And all of the in game footage has been in a town or on the outskirts were no wild pokemon would probably be at.

It's true, we haven't had any wild encounters shown yet because I want to see that scene and how it looks in 7th Gen, and like you said it seems more likely when we have more new Pokemon revealed. So far the only Pokemon we had revealed were the starters, the mascot legendaries and Magearna, albeit the latter was revealed before Sun & Moon were announced.

There is news expected around the 14th, so maybe we might get some more new Pokemon revealed. I am hoping that bird we saw in the announcement video finally gets revealed.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I'm just worried about wild grass at all, looking at the map, and videos, it seems all the grass is to the side, like you could just not enter wild grass if you don't want too.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    We have plenty of grass, the map is just bigger then it seems, thus it looks like there's no grass. I don't think it will be problem, and most of what we see could be early footage or just not show us that grass actually is there.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There's actually been a few shots where grass can be seen, just not in all of them. The trailers just happen to be showcasing the main areas and towns rather than the routes that are probably filled with tall grass.

Years
  • lol what if wild pokemon battles happened in the way of some RPGs and you'd actually see wild pokemon walking around and you have to interact with them causing a battle

i mean this would eliminate random battles as a whole but

...im sure this wouldn't be a problem, right??

Well if we want to level up our mons we're sure to have to battle some of them. It could work nicely. Some people will probably skip the grinding and end up having underleveled teams when facing the gyms. It'll be an interesting experience imo if they do that.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I'd really like to find out soon exactly what the "MeleMele Pokedex" is supposed to be. I'm assuming it's an equivelant of the National Dex that we usually get post-game, but that's kind of a strange name to use instead of just outright saying National Dex. Somebody had commented on Twitter that the word melemele was Hawaiian for "yellow" and suggested that this means the islands are going to be named after colors and have corresponding Pokedexes like how Kalos had Central, Coastal, and Mountain.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I'd really like to find out soon exactly what the "MeleMele Pokedex" is supposed to be. I'm assuming it's an equivelant of the National Dex that we usually get post-game, but that's kind of a strange name to use instead of just outright saying National Dex. Somebody had commented on Twitter that the word melemele was Hawaiian for "yellow" and suggested that this means the islands are going to be named after colors and have corresponding Pokedexes like how Kalos had Central, Coastal, and Mountain.

Yeah this what I have been thinking for a while now. The Hawaiian Islands are nicknamed by color. The island that we start on is known as Yellow Island. This is why some of the character are also wearing yellow. Yellow is also the color of flower they use to make lais and other decorations with. Melemele means yellow, so it isn't the national Dex.

The top right Island would be Pink Island. `Âkala Island
    The biggest Island is Red Island. `Ula`ula Island
    And the one on the far left is Purple Island. Poni Island

They might change the colors, but I am doubting they will with how close they have stuck to the real life counterparts. Although they may use Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It looks like they will be following a similar format to how Kalos' dex was split into three seperate areas. I wouldn't be surprised if each Island had it's own set of different Pokemon and area to make up part of a Pokedex.

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
  • lol what if wild pokemon battles happened in the way of some RPGs and you'd actually see wild pokemon walking around and you have to interact with them causing a battle

i mean this would eliminate random battles as a whole but

...im sure this wouldn't be a problem, right??

Then Repels and specific moves to attract or repel pokemon will be useless.

Years
  • Yeah this what I have been thinking for a while now. The Hawaiian Islands are nicknamed by color. The island that we start on is known as Yellow Island. This is why some of the character are also wearing yellow. Yellow is also the color of flower they use to make lais and other decorations with. Melemele means yellow, so it isn't the national Dex.

The top right Island would be Pink Island. `Âkala Island
    The biggest Island is Red Island. `Ula`ula Island
    And the one on the far left is Purple Island. Poni Island

They might change the colors, but I am doubting they will with how close they have stuck to the real life counterparts. Although they may use Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.
    Interestingly the starters belong to the Alola dex according to the Japanese trailer, I had expected them to belong to the dex of the island we get them in if they were to do multi dexs again. Plus I assume the big island itself would be Alola like the big island is Hawaii in real life. Plus we got four islands, (but interestingly the Japanese trailer shows 5 sections, 2 named (Alola, and Melemele) and 3 blank). One should also be Alola island, unless if the Alola dex is for mons common in all islands.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Alola might be a full region dex. They didn't do that in Kalos until after we got the National Dex.

Was the National Dex already blank with Kalos? We have 4 sections there. And this time we have 5. If National Dex wasn't listed, the it is possible that there is actually 6 differe Poke Dexes. Alola could also be for the QR code pokemon.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    That water fall island, I may know what it is. But what island is that island suppose to represent?

I'm thinking the water falls are going to be the seven sacred pools. They lineup like that in real life. They also are famous to the people there and on a long windy road that isolates it from the rest of the island. Pretty sure a national park is there as well at the pools.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • That water fall island, I may know what it is. But what island is that island suppose to represent?

I'm thinking the water falls are going to be the seven sacred pools. They lineup like that in real life. They also are famous to the people there and on a long windy road that isolates it from the rest of the island. Pretty sure a national park is there as well at the pools.

Are you asking which IRL Island it is based on? If so, then it is based on Maui.

First Island - Is based on O'ahu/Yellow Island.
    Sacred Pool Island/top right - Is based on Maui/Pink Island
    Big Island - Is based on Big Island Hawaii/Red Island
    Big West Island - Is based on Kaua'i/Purple Island
    Small West Island - Is based on Ni'ihau/White Island
    Artificial Island/Elite 4 - Is maybe based on Kaho'olawe/Grey Island

Lana'i/Orange Island might be the island in the northeast of the Sacred Pool Island that is covered by clouds.
    Moloka'i/Green Island, which is a fairly large island, isn't visible from any of the maps we have gotten.

I think Moloka'i will be a post game island to the south, which might be similar to the Post Game Island in Sinnoh.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Z25
    Back