• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun & Moon - The End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    But, again, that's the thing. How do we know that everyone who's into Go is going to go out and buy Sun/Moon later this year?

First of all, a lot of people don't have 3DSs and have no interest in buying one. That's a big reason why Go has been so successful to begin with. It's a phone app, and far more people own smartphones than 3DSs.

And, even when you factor in the in-app purchases, Go is still a far cheaper game to play. Again, you don't have to go out and buy new hardware, and the game's free to download. For a lot of people, that's a huge deal.

And, here's another big factor--A LOT of the older fans who have gotten back into Pokémon through Go are 25-30 year olds that haven't touched a main series game since GSC. For them, Go is a very nostalgic experience, being able to travel around like Ash and catch all of their old Gen 1 favorites. These people largely have no interest in new Pokémon or competitive battling, so I don't see what Sun/Moon would offer for them. In fact, I know several people from various sites who love Go and have literally said that they have zero interest in Sun/Moon. What does that say?

I just don't see Sun/Moon having much appeal to anyone besides the same dedicated, hardcore fans who have already been buying all of the main series games.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Personally, I think taking a group of people you personally know and using them as a representation for the ENTIRE WORLDWIDE fanbase isn't a very fair arguement. This is because the entire populous that do buy the games are not just us folks who participate on Internet forums, it also includes the people in the target demographic, the kids with parents that buy the games for them. How many of you personally know little kids well enough that their parents buy the games just as much as you do?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Personally, I think taking a group of people you personally know and using them as a representation for the ENTIRE WORLDWIDE fanbase isn't a very fair arguement. This is because the entire populous that do buy the games are not just us folks who participate on Internet forums, it also includes the people in the target demographic, the kids with parents that buy the games for them. How many of you personally know little kids well enough that their parents buy the games just as much as you do?

You prove my point. Most people on sites like this care about things like new Pokémon and competitive battling and are hyped about Sun/Moon (just like they were all of the other gens). But, that's not the case for the rest of the world.

Pokémon Go may be popular, but it's a totally separate deal from the main series. No main series game has had anywhere close to that level of popularity since GS. Few people outside of the dedicated fandom cared about XY and ORAS, and that will likely also be the case for Sun/Moon.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I think we don't have to worry about SM selling poorly:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/759101236515921920

That's just in Italy alone, you guys. :) It's likely going to be this way in other countries as well, and I'm pretty confident that the high success of Pokemon GO is partly responsible. Well played, TPC. Well played.

If the series is doing this well, I would be VERY suprised to see it stop. I am not worried about the end At this point.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2017

Got the inspiration to make this topic after watching this video from YouTubers Lockstin and Bird Keeper Toby, the latter who is known for his Pokemon theory videos. In this video they bring things up like the "it all comes together" slogan as well as Azoth, Tapu Koko, the alchemy theme of Sun & Moon, connections to previous generations and Zygarde's role in the games.

So, what do you think about the theory that Sun & Moon could be a climactic end to the Pokemon series? Do you think Sun & Moon could be the last games or the next generation could be a reboot?

Wait a second... The mascots of these games remind me of....

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    To comment on Lockstin & Toby's theory, I am open to a reboot, though I don't think that's what will happen.

Everyday, Gamefreak is regaining old fans and converting newer ones, partially thanks to Pokémon Go. To deny that this separate application has had no influence recently to the franchise is simply ignoring facts all around you.

I am 24, played Gen 1. - Gen 3. Grew out of the series. Pokémon Go came out. I tried it, grew unpleased with it's system, and started playing the original RBY games. I am essentially an example of how this next generation 7 could potentially capture a huge market.

If they make a good game, there will be no reason to fear an "end", especially with so many people interested in Pokémon today.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Here is the thing.

The game director has changed. The game has changed. Why make these changes if this was the last generation? Why wouldn't Masuda just finish this last gen? Why change?

Not to mention they have said you will be able to give your grandchildren your pokemon.

Sun and Moon are the top selling games on Amazon right now. Or at least one of the top.

And without Pokemon, Nintendo would fall. I think only Super Mario has more sells than pokemon and it has be around way longer. Pokemon is worth over 10 billion dollars in 2002. It is probably near 1 trillion now of net worth. Why drop somethign that big?

Not to mention they are making a live action movie.

Last edited:

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • And without Pokemon, Nintendo would fall. I think only Super Mario has more sells than pokemon and it has be around way longer. Pokemon is worth over 10 billion dollars in 2002. It is probably near 1 trillion now of net worth. Why drop somethign that big?

Well, he did say hat it will only be a reboot, not getting rid of it. Pokemon is WAY to much of a sell and many people would protest.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I think S/M is the end of the core franchise, or at least the format. If we see another gen of pokemon, I think it'll be more like Ni No Kuni than the format we're used to.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I'm honestly confused when you mention "Ni No Kuni'. I'm aware that this is another game, but in what way(s) would it be similar?

It would just really be helpful if people were to detail similarities rather than to be vague. ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aAs-vZ4rZE

This is an olllddd trailer but it does a pretty good job of showing off what I mean.

Full 3D, open world, more traditional RPG elements, real time battles and companions. We've already seen the addition of temporary companions, the drive to be in a more 3D world (X/Y, ORAS and S/M) and we're getting more and more into deeper, well constructed stories. I'd argue we'll see more character customization too.

I think it's the most likely progression for the franchise.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Pokemon is never going to end, it has no reason to. We will have another 20 years of Pokemon

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I'm honestly hoping that the gens end after this one. Instead of forcing out more content (which honestly, given the "quality" of X and Y and ORAS has been going down the tubes), they could focus on remastering previous gens. This new "Z moves" crap is a completely pointless addition to the series and show that the new emphasis is on gimmicks rather than providing quality content.

When Pokemon Uranium, a fangame, is far more fun than Pokemon X and Y, it becomes obvious that there's a problem.

Years
  • So, just because X/Y and ORAS was rushed (keeping in mind this was Game Freak's first and second attempt at creating a Pokemon game for the 3DS), you feel this is somehow the end of the world and Game Freak should just give up and let the fanbase take things into their own hands?

I'm sorry, that seems like a ludicrous idea to me. What is "providing quality content" in your eyes? You haven't really specified on that, and I don't mean to come off strong but I'm genuinely interested about what frustrates you about what you've seen?

I also disagree with "remastering previous gens", whatever that means. Do you constantly want Game Freak to release a new version of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh every couple of years? We've explored past generations multiple times and remakes exist for this very reason. We've been to three regions so far out of the six that we've traveled to, and so far, two others are out of the question because of being so recent (Unova and Kalos), three are out because we've been to them in the past already (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn), so that leaves Sinnoh, which may or may not get a remake depending on whether Game Freak finds it necessary to make it.

This is absolutely true.

X/Y and OR/AS may feel rushed but keep in mind it was Game Freak's first foray onto the 3DS so it felt like a testing ground. Remember how D/P was a slow, glitchy mess? That's because it was likely Game Freak testing the DS engine so that the next game they made for it would be an improvement, and that's why Platinum and HG/SS saved 4th Gen for most of us.

I don't like the idea of ending Pokemon after Sun & Moon since there's still so much potential for future Pokemon and region concepts, plus getting endless remakes of regions we've already explored will become boring very quickly.

Then again, some people are blinded by nostalgia and don't like the direction Pokemon has been going. That's likely where Pokemon GO comes in, since it currently has a 1st Gen-only roster that seems to appeal to that nostalgia-hungry crowd.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm honestly hoping that the gens end after this one. Instead of forcing out more content (which honestly, given the "quality" of X and Y and ORAS has been going down the tubes), they could focus on remastering previous gens. This new "Z moves" crap is a completely pointless addition to the series and show that the new emphasis is on gimmicks rather than providing quality content.

When Pokemon Uranium, a fangame, is far more fun than Pokemon X and Y, it becomes obvious that there's a problem.

You do realize that ORAS is a remastered previous gen game, which contradicts your statement about the quality of it and XY, right? And if you think a fangame like Uranium is better than the official games, then I fear to see how you design your levels in Super Mario Maker, because fangames are usually poorly designed in both mechanics and physics (plus their creators have some sort of ego believing they're better game developers than the official creators).

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I want to scream at this guy.

POKEMON IS NOT GOING TO END. NOT WHILE THEY'RE CELEBRATING 20 SUCCESSFUL YEARS, NOT WHEN THE POKEMON HYPE IS AT AN ALL TIME HIGH, IT'S JUST NOT GONNA HAPPEN DUDE. His point that Ash was going to win the league and all that is mute, and yet he still won't give up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back