• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun & Moon - The End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years

Got the inspiration to make this topic after watching this video from YouTubers Lockstin and Bird Keeper Toby, the latter who is known for his Pokemon theory videos. In this video they bring things up like the "it all comes together" slogan as well as Azoth, Tapu Koko, the alchemy theme of Sun & Moon, connections to previous generations and Zygarde's role in the games.

So, what do you think about the theory that Sun & Moon could be a climactic end to the Pokemon series? Do you think Sun & Moon could be the last games or the next generation could be a reboot?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    They have crazy eyes haha :P I do think that the phrase "it all comes together" means more than what a lot of people have said with just looking at it with face value. I honestly can't remember BW or even XY getting as much hype and emphasis that SM has been getting. There's not a whole lot I can say, but there are indicators that these games are going to be story-driven and pretty legend/lore-heavy; both the official websites and the E3 presentation put out hints that there's a deep story in these games. The last time that's happened was the pre-release coverage for BW, and those games and their sequels have been the most story-driven main games thus far. So we could be looking at Gen 5 level storytelling or maybe even surpass Gen 5.

Aside from the theories, the thought of Gen 7 being the final one has actually crossed my mind. I doubt it though, because I would think Masuda and Ohmori would have said something or hinted at it during E3. I do believe Pokemon will come to an end eventually, most franchises do. If it ends after Gen 7, it may be picked up again a few or several years later, much like how Star Wars happened. I use Star Wars as an example because just like Pokemon, it's a worldwide phenomenon. Franchises that are a worldwide phenomenon don't go away that easily.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Dang it, Hikamaru, you beat me to making this thread!

Remember how many fans thought Gen IV was going to be the end of Pokémon because of Arceus' existence? That should tell you why I disagree with this theory.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think there is always going to be the idea of "the end" with each new generation. I just can't see Nintendo pulling the plug on their second most popular franchise that attracts millions of fans and generates such a high percentage of revenue each year.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    They have crazy eyes haha :P I do think that the phrase "it all comes together" means more than what a lot of people have said with just looking at it with face value. I honestly can't remember BW or even XY getting as much hype and emphasis that SM has been getting. There's not a whole lot I can say, but there are indicators that these games are going to be story-driven and pretty legend/lore-heavy; both the official websites and the E3 presentation put out hints that there's a deep story in these games. The last time that's happened was the pre-release coverage for BW, and those games and their sequels have been the most story-driven main games thus far. So we could be looking at Gen 5 level storytelling or maybe even surpass Gen 5.

Aside from the theories, the thought of Gen 7 being the final one has actually crossed my mind. I doubt it though, because I would think Masuda and Ohmori would have said something or hinted at it during E3. I do believe Pokemon will come to an end eventually, most franchises do. If it ends after Gen 7, it may be picked up again a few or several years later, much like how Star Wars happened. I use Star Wars as an example because just like Pokemon, it's a worldwide phenomenon. Franchises that are a worldwide phenomenon don't go away that easily.

It crossed my mind too but disregarded it due to the same reason that Pinkie disagrees with the theory.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    Maybe they mean this is the end of the format we are used to and a change will happen in Gen 8 like how they are changing Zelda a lot with the new title. Whether or not Nintendo makes it move to NX or we get a new handheld chances are Gen 8 will be able to have a lot less limits. I can't see Nintendo making another SD system in handhelds so a HD handheld alone would be big for Pokemon to have the shackles broken for bigger stuff.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    If this was the first generation this theory had come up I'd actually bother making an argument.

I should get into the business of betting money with people on this topic. Easy money! :P

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    If pokemon ceased to exist I would have nothing to live for. I hate to see threads like this.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    Gotta agree with Datte there (sorry man, you stay Datte to me). In gen 4 everyone was saying "but Arceus is the god of pokemon. You can't outdo that. So they won't be able to make legendaries that are above Arceus and therefore this is the last generation".

3 generations later and some people still think they will end Pokémon while it's one of Nintendo's biggest money springs.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I highly doubt because they are hyping it so much, mean the end. This is the 20th Ann. They have said that you can give your pokemon to grandchildren with pokemon bank and they literally just opened a few more pokemon stores.

Pokemon is still way to popular, especially with the failure of Yo-Kai Watch in the west. They don't plan to end pokemon any time soon. I just don't see it happening. If they stopped pokemon, that would hurt Nintendo badly as well.

And although it all comes together I think may mean more than most people think, in no way at all does it point to the end of pokemon.

Years
    I remember back in...gen 3 I think, I saw a theory that there could only be one more generation afterwards because of the pattern with the legendary trios (each gen's trio at that point being based off one of the four cardinal beasts from chinese myth, and since there were only four of those then there could only be four generations total), and even back then I was of the opinion that "Nintendo will still make Pokemon regardless, there's absolutely no way they would just end it like that."

I still hold to that opinion now, even if the theory is for a different reason this time around. As long as it's making them money, I can't see them just suddenly ending it. Even if they would have to take a different approach in stories to make it work, I really don't think they would just stop making the games.

Years
    Like the others said, I can't see Pokemon games ending anytime soon regardless of whatever theories say but it is always interesting when they dig deep into stuff like that. Maybe it signifies something to do with Zygarde's role in the games or if Pokemon games may change up a lot in the future.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I had read somewhere once that Game Freak was contracted to release 10 Generations of games but didn't say how long that would take. We're up to 7 generations in 20 years and hell it could take another 8-10 years for the next 3 generations.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
    I don't think things are coming together. In fact, ORAS introduced the idea of multiple universes within the game canon. Honestly it really seems like the different regions, universes, etc. are moving further and further away from each other every generation. Recurring characters are being cycled in and out, Prof. Oak was in every generation from 1-4, Steven and Looker made cameos in every generation since they were introduced, who knows if a gen V or VI character will make a recurring appearance.....anyways, I think that GF has long since abandoned the idea of continuity outside of a few cameos and mentions here and there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back