• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team of 6

Years
    Since the old days of Red and Blue, we've always played with a team of 6 Pokemon. Something I have seen on people's wishlists for the games is increasing that number.

What do you think? Do you think 6 is perfect or would you like to have more Pokemon on your team?

I think 6 is perfect to be honest; I feel its not too little and not too much to keep track of regarding training and such.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Prefers five to six. Usually runs out of Pokemon to want on the team beyond that. Forces a choice on what type coverage to bring too.

Years
    hey, how are you :)

I am mixed whether 6 Pokemon is enough or not, for example in older Gens you often had to use one of those slots for a HM Pokemon but maybe thats over since Sun and Moon, on the other hand it makes sense that 6 Pokemon is good since you can train them all up fairly equally without it taking ages especially with Exp Share, Imagine if the Exp Share was split between 10 Pokemon at a time for example.

For me I tend to build a team of 6 Pokemon quickly like maybe a few early route bug Pokemon with other types like a flying type or anything that I find cool early on and then once I am happy with that team (maybe change a few members) I tend to lock them in for a while sometimes up to the end of the game but sometimes I switch some out or all of them and build new teams of 6 with lots of different Pokemon and often if I wanna Evolve or train up a Pokemon I will make a team of 6 around it so I tend to have lots of teams that I work on at the same time.

I put value on the first team I build in each Gen I play and then have like a dream team (which I have been working out on Word) and for that dream team there are often more than 6 Pokemon I want on a team :) (I found this especially when thinking about my Fifth Gen team) so I think a team of 8 would be good its not too much like 10+ but it gives you that extra space you need maybe you have a HM Pokemon and carrying an egg but you can still of your core/fav members in your team ready for a Gym for example :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Traditional JRPGs usually have parties of 3-5 members. In that regard a party of six is a lot. Granted, with monster capturing as the main feature, having a bigger party makes sense; especially since there are a huge amount of them and a lot of types to take into account, as well.

Six is a good number. It gives you a lot of opportunies to build parties, adding a lot of replay value, it works well with around 5-6 HMs (back when those were a thing) as you can distribute them evenly. It's also a lot easier to balance around a max party of six. Give the player a bigger party and you also need to take into account that opposing trainers could have the same amount. The bigger the party, the harder the balancing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i like 6. if you had asked me as a kid, i would have wanted an increase, but i think 6 is good and gives you enough to work with while also still being limited in some aspects. i think 5 would work too, but...the more critters the better, even if it's just an extra slot aha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm fine with 6. Personally I don't recall ever wanting a bigger party. These days I prefer a team of 3-4, but I'd keep the extra slots anyways.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm okay with 6, and it's easy enough to rotate a couple in and out of the box.

Sometimes I really find myself struggling and want to use more, but usually it's pretty much perfect. What I do really wish for is for 'extras' like HM slaves to not count towards that limit of 6 in older games, but at least with modern ones they realized it's a problem and don't really do that anymore.

Wouldn't mind the party limit being 8 overall though. :D Gives me the chances to use more cool stuff lol.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I think this is one of the areas where the limitations really help Pokemon have a distinct identity. Like the 4 move slot limitation, it makes it such that any team can't cover everything and makes battles interesting and dynamic.

Years
    I feel like 6 is the max that a pokemon game could handle. Anymore and it would be a pain in the arse to keep everyone an appropriate level, and it would make it too easy to cover all types.
    Honestly I'd rather see them reduce the party count instead of increase it. It'd put it close in line with other JRPGs and it would add a bit more of a challenge to the game imo.

Back