• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's a...guy?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • What are the worst instances of anime confusing you with gender ambiguous characters? Ever felt like the anime in question is portraying said character far too much like a specific gender yet straight up stating that they're the opposite gender? :p

Funny pic that made me think of the topic in the first place:
    Spoiler:

Made me laugh, idk. XD;

P.S - if anyone knows who the character on the right is and which anime she's from, lemme know the anime in question.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    To be honest, I don't watch anime much at all any more.
    But this does happen.
    I thought Silver was a girl in Pokemon Crystal until the police officer clarified that he was a boy. His GSC sprite is pretty androgynous. I was only 6 at the time, I think.

pkmin3033

Also, you don't get much better (worse?) than Fish Eye in the Sailor Moon SuperS anime.
    latest

He was my first~

Years
  • Haruhi Fujioka, but that's sort of a given (at least for the first episode sans theme song), Aladdin and Yunan, and um does Crona count?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • From recent media...? Well, I'm going with the obvious: Kobayashi from Game ofo Laplace. Though, I theory he's DFAB anyway. BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS A GIRL, TOO, OKAY?

Years
  • Kamille Bidan. No more need be said.

Meh, he never really struck me as a female, even if some characters in the show confused him as such.... Judau Ashta in disguise is far more troublesome
    Spoiler:

Then there's also the Innovades from Gundam 00 who choose their own gender at will

pkmin3033

Meh, he never really struck me as a female, even if some characters in the show confused him as such.... Judau Ashta in disguise is far more troublesome
    Spoiler:

Then there's also the Innovades from Gundam 00 who choose their own gender at will

That was more a throwback to what Jerid said about him in the first episode. Evidently more does need to be said. Oh well. xD

Oh god, I had to actually look up Regene Regetta's gender to be sure of it...and Tieria's one moment of crossdressing was thoroughly disturbing due to the fact that I didn't realise it was him even after it had been revealed.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I don't know how to post something without turning this into a spoiler fest.
    Well, you could always be vague in your description of the said series and particular character. And then, for those who're curious about who you're referring to, can look into the spoiler tag that you enclosed the said character's name in? Just one of the ways you could tackle this, y'know! :p

Kamille Bidan. No more need be said.

Also, you don't get much better (worse?) than Fish Eye in the Sailor Moon SuperS anime.
    latest

He was my first~
    That DOES NOT look like anything but a pretty woman. XD;

Haruhi Fujioka, but that's sort of a given (at least for the first episode sans theme song), Aladdin and Yunan, and um does Crona count?
    Yunan and Aladdin from Magi? That's slightly strange. Yunan I can still sort of understand but...Aladdin? O_o' He always seemed like he's clearly a guy to me. :p

From recent media...? Well, I'm going with the obvious: Kobayashi from Game ofo Laplace. Though, I theory he's DFAB anyway. BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS A GIRL, TOO, OKAY?
    Oh this guy. This guy. XD; I think everybody thought that. His body structure, his way of talking and his facial features all pointed towards the opposite sex XD;

Here's another one that got me really badly:
    Spoiler:

A character who I initially didn't like much at all but ended up becoming my favorite character from Fushigi Yuugi.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Tieria Erde of Gundam 00:
    Disclaimer -> If anyone is watching Gundam 00 and just started, even though it is already ages old in this current generation, SPOILARZ ahead. Also, ho nomo.
    Spoiler:

At first he doesn't seem so trappish though he still has a rather pretty face with a rather pretty color scheme. BUT THEN:

Spoiler:

It kinda helps that he even has figurines of that dress up:
    Spoiler:

Normally I'm immune to traps but Gundam 00 almost broke my shields but i ate an orange and it was k.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • We aren't mentioning Armin if we're talking about Eotenas? xD

Absolutely not. Armin might be small and blonde, but he definitely has the face of a male. Marina Inoue does his voice, and while she's female, Armin has the voice of a young male. Honestly, Armin is not a trap, just mistaken as one for being the brains character with somewhat long hair. I think people forget what constitutes an ambiguous character, as he is clearly a young man.

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • Really all this talk of traps and not even one mention of

Spoiler:

Jun Watarase from Happiness!

Spoiler:

Loran Cehack from Turn A Gundam

Spoiler:

Bridget from Guilty Gear

Spoiler:

Mizuho from Otome No Boku

Spoiler:

Joey Jones from Heroman

or

Spoiler:

Hatsura from Haiyore Nyaruko-san

:P

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Even though it was made clear from the very beginning that Hotaru from Ouran High School Airsoft club Aoharu x Kikanjuu was a girl, my mind still kept thinking she was a guy.

Spoiler:

Weirdly enough, despite so many people getting Nagisa from AssClass confused as a girl, I was one of the few people who thought he was a guy straight away.

tumblr_nnozunzais1uo77uno3_r1_500.gif

Special mentions to Yellow from Pokemon Special/Adventures. Literally the first character I ever fell into thinking was a guy for such a long time since I obtained the series back when I was 10.

200px-Yellow_Adventures.png

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Urushibara Ruka. Some people need to travel back in time to remember how many guys (including myself) fell in love with.... someone with the voice and mannerisms of a women, no wait, more feminine than any other woman.. BUT HE's A GUY. Looks great in a miko outfit... BUT HE'S A GUY. Its alright night time and i need to take a nap... but He's a guy.

And when i thought Disguised Tieria was the hottest trap ever (ho nomo), I remembered Ruka.

Then again, someone said this line:
    I'm a dude
    he's a dude
    she's a dude
    we're all dudes, hey~

But Sakura Ohgami greatly refused to believe.

Spoiler:

Sakura Ohgami. Even i don't know anymore.

Back