• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's ****ing offensive!

Years
    I don't see why people always treat not being offensive as this massive task. It's not difficult to be mindful of what you say and what types of jokes you make and I honestly think it's kind of childish to complain about having to "censor" yourself. Yeah you can say that it's a slippery slope and where do we draw the line and we can't please everybody blah blah, but normal person should just have the decency to realise that your sense of humour isn't always appropriate.

If it's something relatively obscure and/or tame then fair enough, but I think it's important to keep in mind that people may be offended for very personal reasons and that it's not always easy to stay calm when someone makes a joke or says something that strikes a chord. Like getting angry probably won't get the best reaction from someone, but I don't think it's really fair to write everyone who gets upset at certain jokes off as having bad social skills. If you're saying stuff that's blatantly offensive then people have the right to be angry IMO.

Honestly, if we were all offended by the same things I might actually agree. What we find offensive though is very subjective and I don't think anybody should have to worry about what they say to some extreme degree just because somebody has a different ethical stance than them. I don't think we should go out and start making offensive comments hoping to upset someone, but all these people who get up in arms over trivial things really need to calm down.

Years
    I honestly think it goes both ways. People shouldn't joke around inappropriately (especially in a professional situation). But not taking a joke well isn't an excuse to be uncivil either. Moderation is a virtue and applies to everybody. A sense of entitlement isn't - nobody's really entitled to speak over and domineer others, whether it be insisting that a joke should be said or insisting that they feel offended and lash out.

Years
    Honestly, if we were all offended by the same things I might actually agree. What we find offensive though is very subjective and I don't think anybody should have to worry about what they say to some extreme degree just because somebody has a different ethical stance than them. I don't think we should go out and start making offensive comments hoping to upset someone, but all these people who get up in arms over trivial things really need to calm down.
    Again, it's not hard. You don't have to be constantly on edge or anything, just use your common sense and know when something is and isn't appropriate. And I'm not really sure why people always say stuff like "worrying to an extreme degree"... like for one thing you seem to be putting focus on the fact that it's an inconvenience to you, and again, exercising a little bit of caution with regards to what you say is not that difficult.

And I wasn't really talking about trivial things with my reply to you, I'm just pointing out that there are scenarios where someone is entitled to be angry or where their anger is understandable. Like you obviously can't be expected to know every possible thing that could offend someone, but if you say something that's blatantly offensive or bigoted or w/e then I don't think I'd say someone who gets angry has poor social skills or anything.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
    I'm not terribly offended by much, but one of the few things that piss me off is when someone will enforce gender roles on others, or apply genders to objects that clearly can be used by anyone.

And regarding offensive humor, I have to agree that because what people find offensive is so different from each other, it can be difficult to watch what you say, because it all depends on who you're with. But even so, I think it's just generally polite to be considerate to other people if they ask you to not joke about certain topics. It's still up to you whether or not to follow up on it, but you aren't immune to people reacting to it though.

So, you can say what you want, but don't always expect to have your ass covered just because of the subjectivity of offensive topics.

Years
    Again, it's not hard. You don't have to be constantly on edge or anything, just use your common sense and know when something is and isn't appropriate. And I'm not really sure why people always say stuff like "worrying to an extreme degree"... like for one thing you seem to be putting focus on the fact that it's an inconvenience to you, and again, exercising a little bit of caution with regards to what you say is not that difficult.

And I wasn't really talking about trivial things with my reply to you, I'm just pointing out that there are scenarios where someone is entitled to be angry or where their anger is understandable. Like you obviously can't be expected to know every possible thing that could offend someone, but if you say something that's blatantly offensive or bigoted or w/e then I don't think I'd say someone who gets angry has poor social skills or anything.

Maybe not getting angry per se, but being unruly or uncivil is a sign of not-so-great social skills. I think you should only openly express anger when somebody means ill towards you personally.

Also, what does it mean to say something blatantly offensive? If the definition is something that gets you angry, I'd say that's just begging the question.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Only if some attacks my person.
    Maybe.
    I caused a bit of a rucku on another forum, as I laughed out loud when so said if so died they would
    tell their kids the truth -that they go to heaven , The previous posts were like "tell them they are gone, in a better place, etc" the mods didnt see the Irony

I am quite an unoffensive person, unless you are a religious nutcase and/or misogynistic patriarchal whitist jerk.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I'm sensitive to cussing. After decades of having them being used to attack me, they have become trigger words. When I hear them, I get tense and my heart rate increases. It doesn't help that three co workers sit next to me and drop f-bombs and the c word (arguably the most offensive swear). I don't verbally swear. Strangely enough, I usually don't mind if I read swears or type them. The physical display of anger is very minimal.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Besides the usual suspects (race, religion, trying to boss people around etc.), I don't get offended so easily. However, I can't stand it when people publicly condemns the use of Singlish.

Yes, the Government might frown upon its use, but there's no need to tell your kids outright that Singlish is for the "lower class" or "derogatory to the English language". It's silly, and plain stupid. Who knows? Maybe the Singlish speaker might score even better in an English language examination. Hah.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    To me, "bogan" is offensive. I just randomly flip out when I hear this word, especially if is aimed at me. I see them sometimes on the trains and it is pretty hard to ignore all their shouting.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    To me, "bogan" is offensive. I just randomly flip out when I hear this word, especially if is aimed at me. I see them sometimes on the trains and it is pretty hard to ignore all their shouting.

honestly i love the word bogan so much probably because i see a lot of myself in kath & kim

for you non-australian/new zealanders, bogan is a term used to describe the nouveaux riche rednecks of australia & new zealand

Blastedoise

"...Too bad, though. ...It's all over now. ♪ ...Th
    Years
    Racism is one of the things that pisses me off. Maybe bc that was the most issue when i started living in Germany.
    I don't really belive into any Religion stuff, but when people use it just to start a War goddamnit.
    Guys that try to be completly cool like"Yeah i did that all alone" "I get all the Girls" and Guys that act like Females are toys.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I hate it when people get offended. Just seem like they're trying to attract attention or can't deal with taking a joke. It's especially stupid when someone gets offended by something meaningless like art. Feels like they have nothing better to get mad at.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I used to hate it when people got offended by me back then but nowadays it doesn't bother me in the slightest so now I can offend with no regrets.

Back