• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"That's kawaii!" "Huh?"

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

So... With my last post, I automatically made myself look like a childish idiot? I know you didn't say anything like that to me, but I just understood it in that way.

I edited.

For retrification.
    I don't say these things in front of people, though. And I wrote those words using English signs, because I wanted someone to understand what words I sometimes use. That's the point of sharing my thoughts in this thread.
    I don't want to be percieved as "childish idiot". Tch...

I wasn't talking about you. I've seen it said so much that it's irritating now. Who in the professional working world would do that? None that I know. That's why it's childish. And why would you want to make yourself seem childish and immature? That's why I think it's also stupid.

Hence why that's my opinion. And you? I don't know you, I didn't call you anything, so if you took offense to what I said then.. don't take what I say so seriously; I didn't type the things I did to make you feel hurt. I was just stating how I felt about the subject in general.

Say it as much as you want to your friends, who cares- they're your friends. But if you want to strike up a conversation with someone you hardly know and want to impress them by using words they don't understand, then what's the point in having that conversation if you can't even hold it?

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I only do not mind them when I understand what they mean, which is not in most cases. However, it's actually nice to mix up languages, only simple words though, when you post or even talk, hai?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    It's fun to mix in a few japanese words occasionally for effect, even if it does make you look lame. If you're just trying to have fun, sometimes you gotta look silly to drive that point home.

I try not to do it when there is intelligent discussion going on, but once things drop into a casual or playful tone, you never know what you might see me spew for comedic effect. More often than not if it fails to draw a laugh I don't repeat it...unless it's got something to do with the gag I'm pulling. If I'm just acting like a silly fangirl, it's part of the act. xD

Sometimes I put on acts to see responses. If someone can't react in good humor, then it usually shows me how tolerant they are, and I can't stand people who are excessively intolerant to be honest.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I find it utterly annoying. Unless you're actually trying to converse with someone in Japanese (and from what I understand, they can get along with Romaji just fine) or just don't know a language well enough and have to fall back on it, I don't really see much of a point to it. I won't tell anyone that it bugs me because it's not really hurting anyone, but I just think it's kinda asinine and not something I would personally do. It doesn't bug me when people drop a word every now and then, but I've been a part of some forum communities where yatsu kimi-tachi talk like kono and it's so chou osoroshii, ne?

MushroomZOMBIE

♪ ~Just A Social Distortion
    Years
    It doesn't bother me since I speak Spanglish like BinaryPeaches [Spanish is my first language, even though I'm rusty speaking-wise]. Also, the people I'm around don't do that kind of stuff often. Usually, it's done in a humorous way when they do.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hate when my sister does that. I've even walked by her room and have heard her trying to speak in Japanese. It just...bugs me. The only times I ever mix in other languages is when I'm talking to a friend that I had French II with, or anyone else from my school that I had French with really. So I occasionally pop out a "Would you like to manger avec moi?" since manger is my favorite verb. It means "to eat" lolol But I would never bother with other people. I'd look like a stupid person, cause I'm horrible at French.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah I know it's like they want to wreck our pure and beautiful language by using foreign words! :O

I'm off to drink some Champagne with my Pizza and Hamburger in my Bungalow in the Jungle. I may then put on my Pyjamas and head into the Veranda to play the Piano.

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    Yeah I know it's like they want to wreck our pure and beautiful language by using foreign words! :O

I'm off to drink some Champagne with my Pizza and Hamburger in my Bungalow in the Jungle. I may then put on my Pyjamas and head into the Veranda to play the Piano.

This is true.

But those words are now completely adopted into the English language, they are in the dictionary

I'm not saying that this wasn't the way these words were introduced in to the language. But you gotta admit that it's annoying when someone deliberately uses a word you don't understand to look smart

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I don't think you got the point, Rich Boy Bob.

One thing is saying what you said, the other is saying something that could be perfectly said in English with the same meaning. We say Pizza because there's no English word for Pizza, while we have no reason to say "kawaii" when we have "cute" or "adorable" to do so.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Personally, it's only annoying because I don't know Japanese nor do I intend to in the near future. Alas, because I've been in the online Pokemon fandom for almost ten years now and because of the overusage of random words like "baka", "kawaii", and "desu" on such nippocentric forums, I know more Japanese than I'll ever really need in life. :/

Interestingly enough, the most common variant of this I encounter irl is "Spanglish", which is randomly interjecting English words in a Spanish sentence or vice-versa. This doesn't annoy me as much because I'm at least partially fluent in both languages, and I find myself having to use it to communicate to people that don't speak English very well. XD

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm fine with using a Japanese word in English if its meaning it subtly different from its translation, or the translation is cumbersome or doesn't quite get the full meaning, but I only do this with people who know what I'm talking about. It only bothers me when I see people who don't understand the language misinterpret the meanings of words and make other big mistakes like that.

Years
    I wasn't talking about you. I've seen it said so much that it's irritating now. Who in the professional working world would do that? None that I know. That's why it's childish. And why would you want to make yourself seem childish and immature? That's why I think it's also stupid.

Hence why that's my opinion. And you? I don't know you, I didn't call you anything, so if you took offense to what I said then.. don't take what I say so seriously; I didn't type the things I did to make you feel hurt. I was just stating how I felt about the subject in general.

Say it as much as you want to your friends, who cares- they're your friends. But if you want to strike up a conversation with someone you hardly know and want to impress them by using words they don't understand, then what's the point in having that conversation if you can't even hold it?

Okay. I get it wrong. Don't mind me then.
    Now I'm feeling stupid. I regret that.

Anyway. Lately I found my uncle using many English phrases or single words. But only because he lives in England now and he just accustomed to using this language. He lived there for years. Like I said, I also get accustomed to using this language, since I have to deal with this language every day. I can call it PolEnglish.

Years
    When I'm talking to people in my form, I normally inject the odd 'danke', 'hallo' or 'ja', playfully, but only because I learn German with them. I sometimes say 'gut nacht' (I'm certain that's incorrect) or 'guten morgen', but only when I know the person/people I'm talking to understand it, and only then when I'm messing around.

As for other people doing it, especially when they know I don't understand, I do get annoyed.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    Kinda outgrew that after I turned 16 or so.
    Usually when I do it now, it's sarcastic or comedic in nature.
    Like KAWAII DESU KA NEEEEEEEEE?! When something is overly anime-ish just for comedic effect.
    I still like to use 'nyoro~n' in 'oic '-';;;' situations because...it's just easier to describe how I feel.

I don't mind when people do that. It's a phase. Deal with it. Most of us have been stupid weeaboo sheep before. Just deal with it :(

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    I'm really annoyed by people who act like this. It makes us "normal" anime fans look really bad honestly... I wouldn't go around yelling "OMG KAWAII DESU!" after reading/watching an manga/anime that I liked. If you normally don't speak the language, then it should be left alone. If your having a conversation in ENGLISH, then SPEAK ENGLISH; don't just throw in some random japanese words..

I don't mind it, but I just don't support it.

edit: i'm only annoyed by it in REAL LIFE. on the internet, its fine with me xD

Last edited:

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    I don't do it myself but I talk to a few people online that use a few Japanese words in conversations, I don't pay any mind to it, each to their own.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
    I like it because I love learning new languages, and each time I find a word I don't know I look it up and there I have a new word in my foreign language vocabulary :D Well I like it only when it's fun, but when I'm having a serious discussion I just feel like slapping the person really because it's no time to fool around with languages >.> But anyway I'm mostly okay with it.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    It doesn't really bother me if they aren't using them all the time, especially if they are using them in jest. But if they use words like that every other sentence, then it gets kind of annoying. Luckily I never see people doing that, or at least I've never noticed it.

And I don't get why people would want to use the word "Kawaii" over "Cute", as cute sounds much better. But maybe that's just me.

I lived in Minatoku, Tokyo, Japan from the age 5 to 13. It was amazing, and part of it was I didn't know a lifestyle different than that. So when my family repatriated I was once again surrounded by people who spoke english rather than Japanese.

For me, it isn't when people use japanese that gets me annoyed, its when they use it randomly and incorrectly. I'll be out somewhere and I hear some random american mispronouncing or misusing a word (or worse case they are trying to say a sentence XD) and it takes all my being not to walk up to them and politely suggest they say it differently.

But otherwise hearing Japanese is sorta nice. Reminds me of the majority of my memories.

Back