• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"That's kawaii!" "Huh?"

Master Bait

ಥ‿ಥ
Years
  • Okay, I'm going to say that I loathe people who suddenly inject words from other languages to sound cool, when they really sound like idiots. Can't count the number of times on this site, dA, and the real world people have said "kawaii","Yosh","desu","arigatou", whatever retarded crap tehy would be spewing out of their mouthes.
    That includes you.
    Anyway, topic is what do you think about people who say those things or other languages, if you didn't know.
    1. Ignore.
    2. Call them weeaboos
    3. ????
    4. PROFIT!

They could become a good translator. Thumps up to them!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah it really annoys me too, especially because most of the people using random japanese words dont even speak japanese. I mean, I stick french words into what I say a lot but that's because I'm both fluent in English and French. so :|

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    I particularly hate the emotes that were developed in some kawaii lab. >_>, ^_^, and o_o are cool emotes and all, but >.>, ^.^, and o.o are most definitely not.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • Ugh...

"That's so kawaii!"

"Please just say cute. It's shorter, and you've been brought up to say it. Thank you." =)

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I was upset at first, but seeing other people do the same thing with English, in an even larger aspect, has made me care less. If people want to look like morons speaking a language or words in a language they don't know, then so be it.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I don't really care if they say something in different language. I'll just ask what that means, and I won't make a big deal out of it. :|

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I don't mind so much online... but in real life I don't think it's a good thing to inject into conversation.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm not entirely familiar with the Japanese language, but I don't find the use of "kawaii" or other similar words annoying as long as the person who uses them doesn't overuse those words.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Actually, I live in Singapore. So that means 4 different languages can be spoken in one sentence. It is so especially when people are swearing. You don't know how many languages you can substitute for the f word. It doesn't bother, since when I usually ignore it.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • I'm learning Japanese, and I don't really say stuff like "Kawaii!" or whatever - maybe because where I live in britland, using a different language other than french is totally "weird". I only say stuff like "KAWAII!" when I'm watch anime, by myself, alone - If someone or something happens and it's utterly cute. But that it's all I do. (Though, I have Japanese conversations with myself when I'm feeling depressed. >.>)

Years
  • My knowledge of japanese both starts and ends with the word "kawaii", so yeah.
    When I make that kind of bilingual sentences, they're mostly based of inside jokes (most of them having originated in French class, so most of them are half French). Hard to do something wrong that way.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I don't mind it at all. I don't know nearly enough Japanese to start dropping it into my sentences but if people are saying it and it's within the right conversation and context, then of course they can! I certainly see no problem with it. The only time when it gets annoying is when people say it completely wrong or when they bombard their sentences with Japanese or any other language. It's okay when they drop it in once in a while but in after every sentence? That's going a bit too overboard, in my opinion.

Alyssachu

Trainer in training! ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    I agree, somewhat. When people say things in other languages, it normally doesn't make them look cool.
    Typically it makes them look like an awkward weirdo nerd. =____=

Sonic65

welp
    Years
  • People mixing random Japanese words with English makes me cringe (especially because, from what I've seen, the large majority of the time they don't even know what the words mean and are just using them because "omg japan is teh best and i want a japanese boyfriend/girlfriend to watch anime with =^o^=;;" etc).

Other languages are okay though, for me. I guess it's a double standard? =P

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • I don't mind it?

I actually find it interesting because then I can figure out what it means, and then I will know a new word in a random language! :D

I don't do it myself.

I agree, somewhat. When people say things in other languages, it normally doesn't make them look cool.
    Typically it makes them look like an awkward weirdo nerd. =____=

Awkward weirdo nerd = Every important person with power on the planet.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • FUFUFUFU. BAKA GAIJIN.

But really.

It ticks me off too, though I haven't heard anyone do it in real life.

Some words, like danmaku, miko, and omimai should be kept in Japanese, to prevent loss of meaning, but words like desu, kawaii, and daijoubu are... out of place and fail.

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I carry brief, simple, but unbroken Japanese conversations with karate classmates only. And I am so sick of the word 'kawaii' that it doesn't even exist in any version of my active vocabulary. Most of the time it's not appropriate to use Japanese terminology when communicating in English, anyway.
    But in my classroom, a lot of students are multilingual and not all have English for a first language, and have a tendency to switch between languages and mix-em-up, whether it's for comedic or expressive reasons or whatnot. It's a long-running school trend for us to swear in as many as five languages (none of which are Japanese, though). I find that amusing.

Back