• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Alola Starters - who will you choose?

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Popplio

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
  • I'm really impressed with all of the starters this time around. Litten and Rowlet are two of the best First Stage starters around, and I like Popplio as well. The second stage ones are really great as well, and the leaked final stage evolutions are also some of my favorite, if they are true I'll definitely pick Popplio, even though I like Rowlett's evolution better, my friend will be using him, so I'll stick with my majestic siren while listening to Nightwish.

encas

Don't tread on me.
    Years
  • I am debating between Rowlet and Popplio. At first, I definitely wanted to start with Rowlet because avian starters are always my favorites (at least in their base forms); besides, I had been waiting for a region with a Grass bird available to new trainers!

Seeing the likely final evolutions made me want Rowlet more, yet I it also made Popplio seem more appealing. Plus, I also love Lurantis' design to the point of wanting to use it in my first Sun play through, and I don't want to stack Grass types if I can help it.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I am very torn between Rowlet and Popplio. I really like Rowlet mostly because of its dual typing and its owl appearance. I keep having this thought process that Rowlet might end up having access to the perfect Grass and Flying move pool, the move pool that Jumpluff has gotten so close to perfecting despite only missing one of the moves (Fly).
    However... Popplio has my favorite type of all time, Water type. That and it has that apparent growth rate of growing from something that looks a little goofy into what will most likely be a majestic and beautiful water pokemon, which was made much more apparent when its second stage evolution was revealed.

I'm still leaning more towards Rowlet, but I'm completely unsure, I might change my mind to choosing Popplio at the last possible second when starting the game like I have done a few times in the past. (I did this in OR, I kept telling myself I was going to choose Mudkip over and over again, and then right when I was confronted with the choice, I made a chaotic decision at the last second and chose Treeko instead, and I'm really glad I did.)

Years
  • Leaning towards Popplio for Sun and Litten for Moon. I might trade for a Rowlet to use one one of my teams but I don't plan to pick it as my starter. That Grass/Flying type is more trouble than it's probably worth.

Years
  • Spoiler:

So now that the final evolutions leaked all those months ago are the real deal, has this affected your choice?

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I haven't changed my mind on choosing Litten as my starter. As I've said multiple times before, I love Litten's final evolution.

Reactions: MKC

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I originally wanted to pick water, though I was considering changing my mind sooner or later.

Then the final evos happened.

And after I saw the final evos, I knew FOR SURE I will pick water.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    At least Popplio last stage didn't disappoint unlike Fennekin. Braixen to Delphox was disappointing, at least Brionne to Stage 3 feels better.

Years
  • Probably gonna pick Popplio (since sea lions are awesome)
    However if i end up changing my mind i will go for Litten since i also like cats.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Litten was arguably the coolest of the three starters' designs, but is final evo is horrible and the other two are actually extremely cool. I was gonna go with Rowlet but I may go with Popplio.

Years
  • I think the starters of gen 7 blow every other set of final evolutions out of the water. Even though Poppmaid is my favorite starter and favorite pokemon of all time, the other starters are also exceptional. I mean, Mermaid Sealion and Archer Owl just seem too good to be true! Litten's final evolution looks AMAZING in the 3d model, plus I like his Lysandre-like hair and sinister demeanor.

Favorite Grass Starter
    1. Serperior
    2. Robbinroot
    3. Meganium
    4. Torterra
    5. Venusaur
    6. Sceptile
    7. Chesnaught

Favorite Fire Starter
    1. Blazekin
    2. Delphox
    3. Luchalitten
    4. Infernape
    4. Charizard
    6. Typhlosian
    7. Emboar

Favorite Water Starter
    1. Poppmaid
    2. Samurott
    3. Greninja
    4. Empoleon
    5. Blastoise
    6. Feraligtr
    7. Swampert

Overall Averaged Rank
    1. Gen 7
    2. Gen 5
    3. Gen 6
    3. Gen 4
    5. Gen 3
    5. Gen 1
    7. Gen 2

Years
  • rowlet is my first pick since the final stage is an archer and archery is my favourite sport/hobby that I do so yeah obviously need to pick it. second choice will be popplio because the last stage is very graceful and those sort of designs are always some of my favs.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Favourite gens in terms of starters:

1: Gen 3 (I love all starter lines here)
    2: Gen 1 (Also love all starter lines here, although Charizard is overrated and I rarely use Blastoise due to Kanto having so many better Water types)
    3: Gen 4 (Love the Chimchar and Piplup lines, Turtwig line is alright)
    4: Gen 7 (Love the Litten line, really like the Rowlet line, don't like Popplio and Brionne but Poppmaid is alright)
    5: Gen 6 (Love the Froakie line, other lines are alright)
    6: Gen 2 (Love the Totodile line, Cyndaquil line is overrated IMO and Chikorita line is pretty disappointing with its shallow movepool)
    7: Gen 5 (All lines here are disappointing in a way, even though I do like the Snivy line)

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I've changed my mind... I'm gonna go with Popplio instead of Rowlet. After the datamine leak, there doesn't seem to be any other Water-types native to Alola that I really like. I could always go with my favorites like Golduck or Gastrodon, but after giving it some thought I would really like to use mostly Alola-native Pokémon on my team.

Subject to change because these games are looking so awesome that I can't make up my mind on anything at this point lol.

Years
  • tumblr_ofpnecBnur1vzv837o1_400.gif

Well, we know who's my starter now. Primarina won me over the moment these final evolutions were first leaked around what has now been four months ago, and being two of my fave types just sealed the deal. On top of me calling the Water/Fairy typing in the first place!

Interested to see how the poll results go now...

Back