• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Generation

Best pokémon gen?

• Gen 1

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Gen 6

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Gen 7

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Haha, Gen 5 is beating Gen 3! That's so funny to see, considering all the crap gen 5 has seemed to take from people who think it was the worst/weirdest generation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    I've played gens 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 (also 5 but too little to judge).

Gens 1 and 2 were the absolute best in terms of freedom of exploration. It had almost no plot which I think is best because it made the games less linear. You could do a few gyms in any order you wanted, and the legendaries were not part of the main story, you really had to go out of your way to find them. I remember as a kid when I stumbled across my first legendary (Zapdos), it was a huge surprise and it wasn't part of the main story, it was completely optional and sort of a reward you got for exploring the region. I think that's how it should be with legendaries, they shouldn't be part of the main story like they were from gen 3 onwards.
    As I see it, the gen 2 games are basically gen 1 on steroids. They took everything good about gen 1 and added tons of great new features on top of it (breeding, day/night cycle, new types, new moves, shinies, two regions, etc). Literally the only criticism I have of the gen 2 games is their horrendous level curve.

Gen 3, however, despite the box legendary being part of the main story, made something even better than anything in gen 1 and 2 in terms of hidden legendaries: the Regi's. It was completely optional to get them and you had to solve a hard problem (although in my case I got lucky because I got the manual with braille, which apparently not everyone did, so I was able to figure it out), these 3 bad boys definitely weren't handed to you! That's, again, how it should be with legendaries.
    Other than that, I loved the Hoenn region, it was vast, had tons of places to explore, and the music was amazing. Also, Emerald had the Battle Frontier, which is still my favorite post-game content in any game I've played.
    Also, one of the absolute best novelties in gen 3 has to be the PC system, which became much smoother to handle compared to gens 1 and 2.

As to gen 4, it also had a lot of great novelties, namely the possibility to trade and fight online. The Sinnoh region was very enjoyable and Platinum made it even better with the Distortion World, the Battle Frontier, and a more extended pokédex with more fire types. Contrary to gen 2, gen 4 (especially Platinum) might have been the best generation in terms of difficulty, the level curve was perfect. They went a little crazy with the legendaries, though, they were way too many in Sinnoh. Legendaries are supposed to be special!

Gen 6 was beautiful, I thoroughly enjoyed the 3D graphics, but obviously these games were way too easy and linear and had way too many dialogue and plot, which took away the freedom you had in previous generations. Which is a shame, because these games (both X/Y and OR/AS) had a lot of potential and could've been among the best games in the series. Too bad the Z version, which could've fixed a lot of issues with X & Y (like Platinum did with Diamond & Pearl), never came out...

All in all, I'd say the best games I played are Emerald, Platinum, and HeartGold. So it's very close, and I actually prefer Johto and Hoenn over Sinnoh, but I guess I'll vote gen 4 since that's when both Platinum and HG/SS came out.

Honestly, none of them. Each gen has its virtues but also its flaws. Some are good for their features, more updated and compelling mechanics, some for their challenge or level curve, some for their region, Pokémon roster, etc. But there's really no Pokémon game that is good at everything.

Of course, but the question isn't which generation has no flaws, it's which generation is the best compared to the other ones, not to some imaginary game with no flaws.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    In my opinion, Gen VII.

It was a pretty solid generation concept wise and I think it feels vibrant and memorable in a way that a lot of other generations aren't? A lot more interesting character designs, level placement, map design, etc.

And it also has the gameplay to back it up.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Of course, but the question isn't which generation has no flaws, it's which generation is the best compared to the other ones, not to some imaginary game with no flaws.

But how do you tell which gen is the best when there are multiple different aspects to consider and whenever a gen does something better Game Freak allways makes sure it's worse in another area to compensate? You can try, but there isn't a real best. Especially when the aspects that count towards determining how good or bad a Pokémon game vary from player to player.

Besides, rating gens is harder than rating games individually. If I think BW2 are amazing but didn't like BW, where would that leave gen 5?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    But how do you tell which gen is the best when there are multiple different aspects to consider and whenever a gen does something better Game Freak allways makes sure it's worse in another area to compensate? You can try, but there isn't a real best. Especially when the aspects that count towards determining how good or bad a Pokémon game vary from player to player.

Besides, rating gens is harder than rating games individually. If I think BW2 are amazing but didn't like BW, where would that leave gen 5?
    At some average rating between the two, perhaps? But you're right, it can be quite difficult to pin down like that. Maybe someone disliked Sinnoh but loved HG/SS for example.

Mario60866

Banned
    Years
    Every game before Let's go Pikachu and Eevee was good.

Also I think LGPE should be considered Generation 8 because that's the Switch Generation and they can't communicate with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Also the switch games in general are Dexited games that cant communicate with each other.

Years
    My favourite is gen 6, as I feel it had so many fun features added, such as roller-skating, mini games, and 3D graphics. Not to mention it was cool how every single Pokemon appeared in this game.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Generation five.
    Pokémon Black and White are still the best games in the main series of Pokémon! Pokémon Black and White developers exerted extra effort into ensuring that the games had a great storyline, villain team, legendary Pokémon and the lore associated with them, an entire new cast of Pokémon, eye candy regarding the cities, towns, and overall environment, great music, a better competitive scene when battling friends, and so forth.

Years
    Generation 4. It's mostly because of nostalgia, but also because of good games such as HGSS, PMD Sky and Platinum that were made during Gen 4.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I enjoy Gen 5 and 6th as well alola gens, it always fresh with something new in the corner not to dwindle something that is least enjoyable.

Back