• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Big Sting: Bug-type Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I'll be brutally honest here - although I love Generation V, i'm not the biggest fan of Leavanny. It was one that never stood out to me as much as I feel it should have. It does get a lot to utilize, though, such as the screens, Swords Dance, Chlorophyll (although it's not as good a user of that ability) and a good Attack stat to back it up with. I mean, it works, but I don't often care enough to use it.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Galvantula always! Im a big electric type user what do i say? I love the typing too plus ive actually used it and there are sooooo many bug and poison types electric and bug is just more unique! Plus now flying is no longer supereffective and ground is only effective so rock and fire are its only big weaknesses plus its got added resistance and, and haha .5 damage to steel grass fighting and electric PLUSSSSS it easily takes out psychic, dark, water, flying, and grass SOOOOOOOO Galvantula FTW! Haha

I guess i could go over ariados too just so i can prove my point XD
    Although hes a great poke with all the bug and poison types theres other too choose from but he has some coverage. Weakness to, fire, flying, psychic, and rock, thats 4 count em 4! :3 .5 damage to him includes poison bug and fairy, and it has .25 damage from fighting and grass types.

Alright so more ways to prove my point:
    Ariados||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||Galvantula
    Evolves from Spinark at lvl 22||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||Evolves from Joltik at level 36
    Base Stat Total: 390||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||Base Stat Total: 472
    Hp: 70 Atk: 90 Def: 70 SA: 60 SD: 60 SpD: 40||||||||||||||||||||||||Hp: 70 Atk: 77 Def: 60 SA: 97 SD: 60 SpD: 108

Ariados is obviously a more Physical attacker than Special while galvantula is higher in Special Attacking but Galvantulas dominant attack stat is higher than ariados, ariados has higher defense than galvantula but lacks in speed at a very low rating of 40 while Galvantulas is quite high at 108. Also in my opinion Galvantulas abilities also give him an extra boost with compound eyes allowing the target to be easily hit with thunder and other lower accuracy moves. Anyways thats my opinion :3 did i go to overboards? :3
    VS.
    Kekekeke.....
    Also leavanny=not great only because 1 that smile and 2 its typing too many weaknesses!

Last edited:
    Years
    Of the two spiders, I like Galvantula better because of its unique type combination and actually having a useful ability + a move that said ability can easily abuse. I never really stuck with it in a main playthrough of a 5th Gen game, but I still do find time to have fun with it and its minimal number of weaknesses also helps it survive against more things.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Leavanny's typing just throws me off the pokemon completely, haha. While it has great physical stats, getting blown up by an endless list of types wouldn't be fun. Fire, poison, flying, ice, rock, you'd have to watch out for them all. But I guess if people can manage all the weaknesses of rock/ground, bug/grass shouldn't be a problem either right?

That's a good point though. I feel like Leavanny was mediocre next to all the other bug types introduced in Gen V - you had Escavalier, Accelgor and Scolipede, all of whom were available during the main storyline and great additions to the team. While Leavanny is good in its own right, I think it'd only be best if you want an extremely early bug type.

Also am I the only one who never realised Galavantula was a spider? Its obvious now but I hadn't really thought about it before. But yeah, as much as I love the two of them, I prefer Galavantula for everything mentioned above. It feels more interesting as a whole where looking at Ariados, its more like 'eh its just another poisonous spider'. Battlewise, it's pretty good too. :D

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Let's get another bug of the week up here shall we?

Spoiler:

Burmy!

Platinum Pokédex: Even if it is born where there are no cocooning materials, it somehow always ends up with a cloak.

Burmy is quite a...unique Pokémon. I've never owned one and honestly it doesn't do a whole lot for me, so feel free to chime in and fill me in with some more info.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What I like most about Burmy, thinking about it, is its forms.

It's got three, if I'm not mistaken, and this helps adding the feeling of "collection" onto this Pokémon, so to speak. Meaning, if we are interested, we would likely find ourselves going out of our way to collect all three forms of Burmy for the sake of collecting and whatnot. Personally, however, I did have two of them, but I don't believe I was able to get a hold of last one.

In terms battling, Burmy and its evolution aren't too great, sorry to say. They could be used in-game without much trouble, but when taken online, I don't feel they'll have chance to help much. As for anime, I do remember seeing them making an appearance before, but I can't put my finger on which episode it actually was, unfortunately. I wish I were!

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    First, I do not know how to have it change its cloaks. Second, I can't see its usefulness. I have never used a Burmy before and never will I ever, barring random challenges.

Dedenne1

Years
    First, I do not know how to have it change its cloaks. Second, I can't see its usefulness. I have never used a Burmy before and never will I ever, barring random challenges.

First i hate burmy idk why its just one of those things that when i see it i dont like it like ever....nothin wasnt a good choice either in my mind... I guess i just dont like this pokemon haha. As for the forms

In certain areas in battling burmys type is changed based on climate
    Plant Cloak->Grass
    Sand Cloak->Sand, Caves
    Trash Cloak-> Cities, Buildings
    Overall it doesnt change its typing BUTTTTTTTTT when Burmy is female and levels up in one of these places Wormadam will stay in that form and have its type either be Grass/Bug (grass cloak) ground/bug (sand cloak) or steel/bug (trash cloak) if burmy is leveled up to level 20 and is male it will evolve into mothin which there are much better choices out there for a bug and flying type ex. Butterfree, Vivillon etc etc. Rambling on here haah

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Say, I wonder how it would be if they were to give Wormadam an evolution of sorts at some point in future?

Since it's colorful and whatnot, I personally can't imagine it to seem any intimidating, as that would be slightly unfitting. If anything, I'm hoping for it to be more on the cuter side, sort of like how Pokémon such as Beautifly, Butterfree, and Vivillon are portrayed. Of course, they are butterflies, which are generally considered to be beautiful by many, but I believe they could still have it reassembling them (that is, if they would like).

In terms of competitive, I'm not sure if I have much to say on that. I haven't used Wormadam much, so I can't tell how good it is, what it needs to improve, and so forth.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Instead of an evolution for Wormadam, why not give Mothim some variation as well? Similar to Vivillion, Gamefreak could design different patterns based on what form the Burmy was in before it evolved. The current Mothim could evolve from the sand Burmy while the others would get their own designs.

That being said, I'm not into Burmy. I don't really like what they did with its design and as far as I know, its not the greatest at battling. So yeah, consider it one of my less liked bug types. :(

Mothim's cool though! I think it'd be great if they could make it similar to Wormadam with the three different forms thing.

Dedenne1

Years
    Instead of an evolution for Wormadam, why not give Mothim some variation as well? Similar to Vivillion, Gamefreak could design different patterns based on what form the Burmy was in before it evolved. The current Mothim could evolve from the sand Burmy while the others would get their own designs.

That being said, I'm not into Burmy. I don't really like what they did with its design and as far as I know, its not the greatest at battling. So yeah, consider it one of my less liked bug types. :(

Mothim's cool though! I think it'd be great if they could make it similar to Wormadam with the three different forms thing.

Mothin looks cool-terrible battler
    If it did have the forms thing it would be a lot cooler! Plus it really needs a stat boost anything really could help it its just not very powerful for some reason the line just isnt although Megas could always help or just a stat boost or special ability.

An evolution for Wormadam is really what it needs that would make it more likeable and used a lot more since its a cool concept just not in powerful pokemon Wormadam looks like a pokemon thats only in its 2nd stage in my eyes though! Really it would help the line though!

jombii

Years
    Yeah! Wormadam seemed to be the cocoon of the line, akin to Metapod and Kakuna and Cascoon and Silcoon. Another evolution would be majestic. Who cares about Mothim? We might have another defensive Bug Pokemon!

Wicked3DS

Years
    POTW! This week:

Spoiler:

Armaldo!

Ruby Pokédex: Armaldo's tough armor makes all attacks bounce off. This Pokémon's two enormous claws can be freely extended or contracted. They have the power to punch right through a steel slab.

Bounce off? That's pretty tough.

I honestly am a much bigger fan of Cradily than Armaldo as far as the Hoenn fossils are concerned, and personally, I just think Armaldo is pretty funny, hence the pic I chose. I've never used one and I'm really not terribly interested in it either to be honest.

jombii

Years
    Well, I like Armaldo more than I liked Cradily, but that is only because of its design. I have used it a few times in my team back in Gen III and I'm not entirely happy every time I use it. It has a cool design but very minimal movepool. That's not really good, even in-game.

Years
    I have used Armaldo in Generation III once, and it was decent for what it had. It definitely has more going this generation since it has better STAB attacks, and while not much, it could even use Shell Armor with Curse (egg move, I think), except for its Special Defense lacking. But that anti-critical hit ability sure is nice, if nothing else. Just wish it had more to do.

Dedenne1

Years
    I never liked cradily haha. I actually really liked armaldo! He is pretty powerful although i dont see a great moveset on him to utilize as well. But with curse he does great then theirs rock slide and i believe he can learn xscissor so he does have a good moveset just not a lot of choices haha. Honestly though i think id choose Crustle over him though idk why Crustle just seems more powerful and better in some competitive battling.

jombii

Years
    Two words: Shell Smash. Armaldo's movepool improved with Gen IV, giving it X-Scissor but there were still better Bugs out there to use than Armaldo.

Years
    Of the Hoenn fossils, I'm always more of a Cradily person but that's not to say Armaldo has its unique stuff as well. I kinda like the design theme with Armaldo's evolution line and the fact it's based on a anomalocaris also sorta explains why it learns some random Water moves like Water Gun.

The shallow movepool limits its usefulness outside of STABs, but Battle Armor is still a great ability to have if you really hate critical hits working against you.

Years
    Ah, my excitement is palpable!

Name: Anaxeco

Pick two Bug-type Partner Pokémon: Scyther and Butterfree!
    Reason(s) for liking Bug-types: Partially I like Bug-types due to the fact that they're really underestimated and overlooked throughout Pokemon, at least in my opinion. People kind of forget about these guys- and often when they are thinking about them, it's with a twinge of annoyance. There are so many sweet Pokemon in the bug type category, though! I love the blades, poisons, and flying attacks they can almost all use- and I also just have a thing for certain insects in the real world. They're some of the most fascinating creatures that exist, I reckon. Praying mantis', spiders, bees, butterflies. Beautiful and deadly and poisonous and just asdfghjkl I could go on.
    Answer to current topic:
    Ariados: To be quite honest, I never paid much attention to Ariados until more recently, and sense then I've actually grown quite fond of it. In the sense of 'if Pokemon were real' I enjoy the idea of befriending and traveling with something that's stereotyped as freaky/scary/etc. However, in the game it's not a very sensible Pokemon to mainline, and it doesn't have a whole lot of practicality- it's a cool Pokemon, yeah, but it doesn't bring a whole lot to the table in the terms of weaknesses/resistances/immunities (which there are none of). Also his move set is just okay. I don't think he learns anything too grand until around 50, when he learns psychic and some better poison moves. Just my opinion though, everyone plays differently~I still really like him.

(Past topic) Favorite Bug-type: Scyther! This Pokemon has been one of my favorites ever since Pokemon Snap for the Nintendo 64, I'd have to say, when he came springing out of the patch of grass. He is just SO cool and he always has this sort of knowing look in his eyes. Plus, the shape of his face I absolutely adore. I know these reasons are all silly- but I also love the speed with which he attacks. He is one of my top.

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

Years
    Pokémon! Of the week!

Spoiler:

Kricketot!

Black/White Pokédex: Its legs are short. Whenever it stumbles, its stiff antennae clack with a xylophone-like sound.

Cute Pokédex entries ftw.

I have little to no...ok, absolutely no experience with Kricketot. They're pretty cute and I can't exactly hate a musical Pokémon, but I really don't have much opinion on it, so you guys will have to fill me in!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back