• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uke

Was .little monster
Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 2, 2010
    What, that I won't translate my spanish?

XC

Oh, I just fixed the original post aswell, mr. mini-mod-grammer-nazi.
    How does that make me a grammar nazi? No I am not denying that I am a grammar nazi.

Kiel tio igas min esti nazio gramatika? Ne, mi ne estas neganta ke mi estas nazio gramatika.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I think it's unnecessary to post in another language.

---------------------

I think it's unnecessary to post in another language.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • How does that make me a grammar nazi? No, I am not denying that I am a grammar nazi.

Kiel tio igas min esti nazio gramatika? Ne, mi ne estas neganta ke mi estas nazio gramatika.

Oh, I was just adding that for effect~

[Insert spanish translation here]

AND WHERE IS THAT COMMA, GRAMMER NAZI?!

Uke

Was .little monster
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 2, 2010
    Oh, I was just adding that for effect~

[Insert spanish translation here]

AND WHERE IS THAT COMMA, GRAMMER NAZI?!
    The comma isn't necessary in the English sentence.

La komo ne estas necese en la frazo angla.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • When writing, I use alot of them. People who don't use grammar annoy me beyond belief.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    My worst problem is wordiness... Even small words I've used in the wrong places, it seems. Well, according to the profs that have marked my work, then again, that was late night too so idk...

I also have a tendency to use a thesaurus like approach. Not that I'd go to use one specifically so I can sound more impressive or flowery, but rather it is my own recollection of the word itself.

Uke

Was .little monster
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 2, 2010
    Actually, it was. The comma tends to be required in places where there is a natural pause in the sentence if it were to be spoken.
    There was no pause in it when I said it. Maybe when you read it, but that's not how I said it.

Estis ne pauzxo en gxi kiam mi diris gxin. Kiam vi legis eble gxin, escepte estas ne kiel mi diris gxin.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Strange, we were learning about grammar (commas, etc) in uni today. XD

We also learned how much people feared large spiders in lecture rooms. :D

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • My point is that there would be a natural pause if the vast majority of those who speak English as their first language said it. Thing is, you can't detect all natural pauses unless you know your grammar structure quite well.
    English is my first language, and I don't do that 'natural pause' when reading a line where the comma has been skipped. I just keep on reading until I realize it doesn't make sense, and then I go back. =P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back