• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen the DNA theme in the games

Years
  • since the games were announced we got a pretty clear clue that pokemon x and pokemon y got to do something about DNA/chromosomes. For those who don't know what i'm talking about take a look at the japanese x and y's logo:
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-g6zCGLF9ZyY/UOwBLhvBo8I/AAAAAAAAp8E/UpcYhxEBKY0/s1600/pokemon-x-y.jpg
    see the little colorfull DNA in the logo?

its been more than six month since the announcement, and less than three month left till the games will be released, but we still don't know what DNA got to do with the games.

So, do ou think its really about DNA or it has some other meaning?
    if it is-how the DNA theme will related to the games in your opinion?

Years
  • Well, I do think that the DNA theme is a reference to anatomy, and the beauty of biology/physiology.

I am thinking Sycamore will study the aesthetic and physiology of pokemon.

In addition our legendaries represent life and death. Thus, DNA is a way of representing life and its destruction. The overarching motif is taking very emotive and mythical/spiritual themes like "life and death" and "beauty" and coalescing them with scientific perspectives. It's a perfect juxtaposition of science and romanticism, and I think this is the most innovative motif that GF has come up with, and it's presented so with excellent subtly thus far. It has much more depth than some of their more hackneyed themes, like ying and yang. It's just too literal and gimmicky. I loved Black and White for the graphics, new pokemon, characters, new features, ect. However, I didn't think the story-line was all too innovative.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, I do think that the DNA theme is a reference to anatomy, and the beauty of biology/physiology.

I am thinking Sycamore will study the aesthetic and physiology of pokemon.

In addition our legendaries represent life and death. Thus, DNA is a way of representing life and its destruction. The overarching motif is taking very emotive and mythical/spiritual themes like "life and death" and "beauty" and coalescing them with scientific perspectives. It's a perfect juxtaposition, and I think this is the most innovative motif that GF has come up with. It is has much more depth than some of their more hackneyed themes, like ying and yang.

Yeah I think this too. Also, there was a kind of 'orthogonal' drawing of Snivy/Servine in his lab, which adds to the whole anatomy and genetics approach. Not to mention Team Flare trying to revive Pokemon Fossils. I don't think they'll reveal anything though, as it will be more story-based.

Years
  • Maybe they'll take the DNA splicer a bit further? Or else it makes B2/W2 look really gimmicky. They had sci-tech going on first gen, and they delved a little into DNA from the aspect of modernism a la Mewtwo. For sure it'll be about DNA with the helix symbols though. Maybe there'll be a contrast between the natural and the artificial - and how DNA engineering turns that into a grey area?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Maybe they'll take the DNA splicer a bit further? Or else it makes B2/W2 look really gimmicky. They had sci-tech going on first gen, and they delved a little into DNA from the aspect of modernism a la Mewtwo. For sure it'll be about DNA with the helix symbols though. Maybe there'll be a contrast between the natural and the artificial - and how DNA engineering turns that into a grey area?

I agree that we should see some sort of progression with the DNA splicers, rather than simply making it unique to B2/W2. Though, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they waited another gen or so before we saw more of that. Maybe it was their intentions to leave it as something unique for the 5th generation, at least for a while. I do want to see more of it eventually though, even if it is kinda giving off a Digimon vibe (and I do love me some Digimon...)

The Local Joke

Trubbish in the Classroom
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    The plot twist will be that Deoxys evolves into every Pokemon.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • I think the same way as Fenneking about Xerneas and Yveltal representing the DNA of life and death and at the same time as the Kalos region represents ''beauty'' which has a connection to DNA too. I was also thinking about the new Fairy type being made by Team Flare's scientists using some sort of DNA technology by creating maybe some sort of machine or force that forces some already existing pokemon to change their typing into Fairy? I also have a concern, now Xerneas is a legendary Fairy type pokemon and they're said to have been living longer than humans so maybe the new Fairy type isn't Team Flare's work? Or did they maybe want to create a strong Pokemon so they created Yveltal and Xerneas the same way as Team Rocket created Mewtwo and by that they maybe successfully created Xerneas as the first Fairy type pokemon which created the other Fairy types since Xerneas represents life?

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think the same way as Fenneking about Xerneas and Yveltal representing the DNA of life and death and at the same time as the Kalos region represents ''beauty'' which has a connection to DNA too. I was also thinking about the new Fairy type being made by Team Flare's scientists using some sort of DNA technology by creating maybe some sort of machine or force that forces some already existing pokemon to change their typing into Fairy? I also have a concern, now Xerneas is a legendary Fairy type pokemon and they're said to have been living longer than humans so maybe the new Fairy type isn't Team Flare's work? Or did they maybe want to create a strong Pokemon so they created Yveltal and Xerneas the same way as Team Rocket created Mewtwo and by that they maybe successfully created Xerneas as the first Fairy type pokemon which created the other Fairy types since Xerneas represents life?
    I don't think Fairy is a manmade type. Likely it's in game explaination will be that they recently discovered it blah blah just like with steel. Or it may not really have one just like Dark did. Likely it'll be like Steel due to having recon Pokémon. However that's a conversation for the Fairy thread.

On topic: I think that the DNA theme tie in is going to be a secret they'll have us find out on our own. DNA is known to impact how one lives and even dies to a certain extent (such as genetic mutations which can be bad or even good and can benefit the life of a species or end up destroying it) so it may have something to do with that.

Years
  • It is an interesting concept; but Pokemon is targeted at kids and they might not one to confuse kids. (Pfft Not that many small kids play Pokemon anymore haha!) But it's possible and the new MewTwo form might have something to do with DNA. They could bring Deoxys back too (DEOXYribonucleic acid) Plus Xerneas' horns are colourful like DNA is often shown as in models.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Wow, I've heard many people saying that it was going to be gene/gender themed, but I never took those arguments seriously. But now that you showed me the logo with DNA symbols, it sounds like a pretty solid theme for the games.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • It is definitely about DNA. Our legendaries are representations of life and destruction (death essentially), the whole DNA theme is probably a reference to Anatomy, and ties into the "beauty of life". Game Freak is taking a whole new approach by the looks of things, tying in old Norse mythology to combine the aspects of life and death/destruction and beauty and as Fenneking said, looking at it from a scientific stand point. Of course this is all subtle since Pokemon is still seen as a kids game.

As mentioned before, I feel like something may be done with DNA splicers but, I wouldn't count on it. And seeing as how Mewtwo is making a appearance in all this, I would definitely bet this has something to do with DNA. Maybe we'll even see Deoxys come back, even if just as an event Pokemon.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • I was thinking about something, what if Deoxys plays a role as one of the trios for some reason? I don't think that's even gonna happen but that was just a crazy idea. It would be cool if it actually did play a part in this. xD

Years
  • It is definitely about DNA. Our legendaries are representations of life and destruction (death essentially), the whole DNA theme is probably a reference to Anatomy, and ties into the "beauty of life". Game Freak is taking a whole new approach by the looks of things, tying in old Norse mythology to combine the aspects of life and death/destruction and beauty and as Fenneking said, looking at it from a scientific stand point. Of course this is all subtle since Pokemon is still seen as a kids game.

As mentioned before, I feel like something may be done with DNA splicers but, I wouldn't count on it. And seeing as how Mewtwo is making a appearance in all this, I would definitely bet this has something to do with DNA. Maybe we'll even see Deoxys come back, even if just as an event Pokemon.
    Maybe the new Mewtwo forme is actually a fusion of Mewtwo and Mew? Even though the movie had nothing on this it could've been like the Kyurem movie where Kyurem changes by will without needing to absorb another of the dragons.

This approach certainly seems more subtle than some of the others but it's sort of been done in Gen III with the three Hebrew beasts of Land, Sea, and Sky combined with the theme of weather.
    Also note that the beauty theme is said to be the theme of the region not necessary the mascots. For example Hoenn's theme was about bonds and nature but only the nature piece really appeared in the mascots (bond's heaviest use was during Unova) that was the balance of the climate of the world.

Years
  • This approach certainly seems more subtle than some of the others but it's sort of been done in Gen III with the three Hebrew beasts of Land, Sea, and Sky combined with the theme of weather.
    Also note that the beauty theme is said to be the theme of the region not necessary the mascots. For example Hoenn's theme was about bonds and nature but only the nature piece really appeared in the mascots (bond's heaviest use was during Unova) that was the balance of the climate of the world.
    just got to say that is the first time i heard the connections of gen III legenderies to a hebrew beasts, as a jew i'm pretty suprise to hear all of this and to see how much i don't know about my religion(the only one that i recognized was the leviathan, which by the way people don't but leviathan is just a whale).

anyway i noticed i didn't share my opinion about the subject-
    i think the legenderies got to do something about the DNA, the life and destruction might present the ability of DNA codes(hope its the right word, i refer to the fact that the order of the things express the way the creature will look) to make things better but also can destroy them.

Years
  • If this is dna theme then maybe a new deoxys? 0.0 we have a new form of mewtwo which was made from mews dna and deoxys has something to do with dna? So maybe a new form, be funny if the trio was deoxys, Genesect, mewtwo..

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I also think prof.Sycamore will study how pokemon are so alyke,yet so different. for example: why is there more than 4 BILLION combinations for spinda's spots?

Years
  • Wow, I've heard many people saying that it was going to be gene/gender themed, but I never took those arguments seriously. But now that you showed me the logo with DNA symbols, it sounds like a pretty solid theme for the games.

I have to say the DNA and genetics theme is one of the most interesting themes to a Pokemon game so far, there's so much to think about what may occur in the games. I also like how the Japanese logos also have that DNA symbol in it.

I do think the Legendaries in Kalos may have something to do with the DNA theme, I know Xerneas and Yveltal are connected already thanks to some research I did. Mewtwo's new form being generated from Mew's DNA seems like something interesting.

Years
  • I have to say the DNA and genetics theme is one of the most interesting themes to a Pokemon game so far, there's so much to think about what may occur in the games. I also like how the Japanese logos also have that DNA symbol in it.

I do think the Legendaries in Kalos may have something to do with the DNA theme, I know Xerneas and Yveltal are connected already thanks to some research I did. Mewtwo's new form being generated from Mew's DNA seems like something interesting.
    Now if only Deoxys, Mew, and Genesect would appear...they all share the DNA theme too, more so the former as one is made up of an alien Virus (though Viruses have RNA and not DNA hence why they aren't considered living beings...however to be fair it is mutated), and Mew who is said to be the ancestor of all Pokemon aka the one who all the genes of the Pokemon can be traced back to (with the exceptions of the legendaries that crafted the world and Universe such as the Weather trio, Lake trio, Creation trio, and Arceus, and the man made Pokemon too).

Back