• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The F-Zero franchise discontinued?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2021
    Captain Falcon now returns in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS as a veteran player character. However, it was a rumor that Nintendo has now discontinued the F-Zero video game franchise as their own intellectual property, and I just want to know if it is or not? Is so, why? Or if not, what's going on next?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'd say the franchise is on hiatus.

Save for a couple of GBA releases to tie into an illfated anime F-Zero series, the franchise has largely been like this since the release of GX and AX (which are absolutely terrific, btw)

In 2003, Takaya Imamura (F-Zero character designer, story creator, and producer on GX and AX) said the following: "having worked on the F-Zero series, I found myself at something of a loss as to how we can take the franchise further"

Similarly, Shigeru Miyamoto said the following a few years back: "Since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved. I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: What do you want that we haven't done before?"

So there may be a creative rut there, but in all honesty GX + AX tracks in HD with online multiplayer would just be glorious. lol

In actuality, GX didn't meet sales expectations. Mario Kart is an evergreen gold mine. Really no point to create a new F-Zero, or Diddy Kong Racing, or Wave Race and... compete against themselves.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • So there may be a creative rut there, but in all honesty GX + AX tracks in HD with online multiplayer would just be glorious. lol
    This is the part that sold me that there might be a future F-Zero game at some point. If Miyamoto really wanted to stretch the boundaries with the franchise, than getting dedicated servers for online matchmaking would make it a huge hit with today's online-centered gaming community. They didn't have this technology in the past to achieve this, so maybe with today's tech they'll be able to do it.

If anything, they should look at the success of some of their game's like Mario Kart 8 to see how to improve the series. As they are both racing games, they should evaluate how Mario Kart has evolved over the years, how it's kept it's games fresh and exciting, as well as keeping their core principles and traits for the game intact. Sure, you might be stretching the boundaries of the F-Zero universe and take some risks when it comes to bringing something new to the table, but the payoffs could be ridiculously good in which the developers and gamers end up happy in the end.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The problem is that F-Zero is a ridiculously inaccessible and intimidating game that demands your time to get invested into it. It is nowhere near as easy to pick up and play like Mario Kart. It wouldn't be a huge hit at all unless they simplified the game. Really, F-Zero's biggest competition is Mario Kart itself. Your average person will have a much easier time getting into the latter and have fun with it.

I mean, can it happen? Sure, I'd love if it did. But I can just as easily see it not getting a lot of steam thanks to there being much easier options to get into. F-Zero GX bombed horribly despite having content that were so appealing at its time. F-Zero is a niche series that just might not be worth it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • My only F-Zero title was X and it was not that hard to get into... I'm far from a skilled player and I beat all the cups on the hardest difficulty. But the game is very hard to master. Ghosts were unbeatable for me.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Haven't played X in a while so most of what I said is based on GX to be honest.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • The problem is that F-Zero is a ridiculously inaccessible and intimidating game that demands your time to get invested into it. It is nowhere near as easy to pick up and play like Mario Kart. It wouldn't be a huge hit at all unless they simplified the game. Really, F-Zero's biggest competition is Mario Kart itself. Your average person will have a much easier time getting into the latter and have fun with it.

I mean, can it happen? Sure, I'd love if it did. But I can just as easily see it not getting a lot of steam thanks to there being much easier options to get into. F-Zero GX bombed horribly despite having content that were so appealing at its time. F-Zero is a niche series that just might not be worth it.

It's quite a shame too considering the difficulty of said games makes them all the more enjoyable, at least in my opinion. Dumbing down the speed of the game would definitely be a deterrent to the series as well as the fact that it's taking away a core element of what makes F-Zero F-Zero. Is it possible though that F-Zero GX bombed because it didn't have as much exposure at the time? I'm curious just because with such a long gap and the inclusion of Captain Falcon in the past few Super Smash Bros. - more specifically talking about Brawl because it sold over 4 million more copies than Melee and 6 million more copies than the original game - could that generate more purchase potential ?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • And, really, with Mario Kart 8 and it's anti-grav... Mario Kart may be increasingly more F-Zero-like as the series goes on

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I thought it was mutually agreed upon that F-Zero is pretty much dead? Miyamoto was surprised when he heard that there's people out there that want more of it, as he claims that he thinks the series has hardly evolved and there's little they could do with it...despite that for most people even a rerelease of GX on the Wii U would be good enough.

But alas, it must be put into the pile along with Nintendo's other indefinitely dead IPs.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • If they're not going to make new F-Zero games, then maybe Captain Falcon will
    eventually become playable on a later Mario Kart game?

Although, I have some ideas of how F-Zero could be made better:
    ~ Highly diverse difficulty settings:
    If players could adjust the difficulty to suit their skill levels,
    the games would appeal to newcomers & hardcore racers alike.

I think they should use a system similar to "Intensity" from Kid Icarus: Uprising,
    where players could set the difficulty from 0.0 to 9.0, but the difficulty for each
    setting would be more noticable, so the change from 0.0 to 0.1 on F-Zero in this case
    would be a lot harder, so while 0.0 would be easy enough for anyone to beat, only
    the best gamers in the world would be able to beat 9.0. & this style of setting the difficulty
    would, in theory, have everything else in between.

~ More evenly matched-up online play:
    The "Intensity" style difficulty settings mentioned would also be used for online play.
    The game would keep track of the average intensity setting that players plays on & try
    to match them up with other players online who has similar intensity averages.
    In theory, this would make it much more likely that players will be matched up against
    others who are near their skill levels, making for much more exciting races.

~ Very deep machine customaztion:
    Machine customazation is possible on F-Zero GX & AX & Mario Kart 7 & 8,
    but it could be made MUCH deeper...
    For example, here are the ideas of different parts that could be changed:
    Cockpit
    Body
    Engine
    Anti-Gravitors (or whatever they call the thingies that make the machines levitate)
    Thrusters
    Revese Thrusters

The Cockpit would affect how well the machine operates overall on a small scale, the Body is the
    main determinator of how much punisment the machine can take, the Engine mainly affects top speed,
    Anti-Gravitors would take the place of wheels in determining how well a machine can turn & how they
    handle on varying terrians, Thrusters would mainly affect accelation & how good the machine boost is,
    while Reverse Thrusters also affects how well the machine can turn & determines the stopping ablilty.

A point-system would be put in place to prevent overly good custom machines from dominating.
    When making a custom machine, there will be a meter that has a certian amount of points that players
    cannot exceed. The greater the impact a part has on the machine, the more points it'll cost to use.
    So the trick is to try to find the right combonation of parts that'll work for your driving style while
    trying to fit all the part points withen the limit given.

On a side-note, rather than picking one of the F-Zero pilots to operate the machine,
    it'll be driven by your Mii, in the form of a Mii Racer.
    Mii Racers, like the Mii Fighters that'll be on SSB4, have more humanoid bodies while
    featuring the heads that they were made with.
    Mii Racers can also be customized with a varity of clothes, like helmets, shirts, gloves, pants, boots
    & optinal pieces of clothing, like scarves, jewelry, eye patches, Etc.
    All clothing are purly for looks & doesn't affect stats in any way.

I can go on & on about how I think F-Zero could be better, but I think this is
    a pretty good sized wall of text.... if it's not too big already for reading comfort...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Nintendo killed F-Zero by making Capt. Falcon a Smash character before he is an F-Zero character. Also, I think Smash's focus on Capt. Falcon as the only F-Zero character is insulting to the other F-Zero characters that Nintendo failed to develop. New generations don't even know Capt. Falcon had a rival named Samurai Goroh, who was in the original game btw.

Personally, considering how little some series change over time and still achieve millions of sales, they could try to milk F-Zero if they wanted. They just failed at doing so, same as with Star Fox.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I feel like Mario Kart just makes F-Zero obsolete because they already have a great selling racing franchise.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I feel like Mario Kart just makes F-Zero obsolete because they already have a great selling racing franchise.
    It's not like they both can't exist though. GRID, Need For Speed, and Forza all coexist on Microsoft platforms, so I don't see why F-Zero and Mario Kart can't do the same.

Nintendo killed F-Zero by making Capt. Falcon a Smash character before he is an F-Zero character. Also, I think Smash's focus on Capt. Falcon as the only F-Zero character is insulting to the other F-Zero characters that Nintendo failed to develop. New generations don't even know Capt. Falcon had a rival named Samurai Goroh, who was in the original game btw.

Personally, considering how little some series change over time and still achieve millions of sales, they could try to milk F-Zero if they wanted. They just failed at doing so, same as with Star Fox.

The same case could be made about Pit being a Smash character before a game was finally released for him in 2012. They built up a lot of hype for him in Brawl and then released a game for him as a result - it's not like the same can't be said about Captain Falcon/F-Zero with the right ideas and planning.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It's not like they both can't exist though. GRID, Need For Speed, and Forza all coexist on Microsoft platforms, so I don't see why F-Zero and Mario Kart can't do the same.

They're competitors, however, while F-Zero and Mario Kart are both made by Nintendo.

I see your point, though, because these games indeed fill different roles even if they were made by the same developer.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The same case could be made about Pit being a Smash character before a game was finally released for him in 2012. They built up a lot of hype for him in Brawl and then released a game for him as a result - it's not like the same can't be said about Captain Falcon/F-Zero with the right ideas and planning.
    Actually, Brawl had nothing to do with Uprising. Sakurai himself said that he thought of the game concept first and originally considered Star Fox to be the game for it, but decided that Kid Icarus filled his vision for the game better. (Particularly the ground section)

Smash never helped a series get big recognition with the exception of Fire Emblem finally finding its way to the west, and if anything, Advance Wars was the biggest factor in leading to that.

Captain Falcon in Melee (the best selling Gamecube game) didn't help F-Zero GX.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Mario Kart and F-Zero, by design, are different enough to warrant developing both titles. Mario Kart is the fun, friendship-ruining game where races are not as serious as other games (i.e. Forza, etc.), whereas F-Zero could fit into that "serious racing game" slot that Nintendo has nothing for.

I think Nintendo always has plans for their franchises, even dead ones like Star Fox and F-Zero, but they simply feel there is no demand and the cost-effectiveness does not meet what they are looking for.

I just remember how adventurous Nintendo was on the Gamecube. Wario World, Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox: Adventures, and others really showed Nintendo was looking for more unique hits. The Wii U is starting to bring this back with Toad Treasure Tracker and Hyrule Warrior. So I guess we'll see!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • There's definitely room to incorporate some title for the F-Zero series, in fact, I'd say Nintendo has the sky's the limit with future (possible) titles! Like, I don't know, Metroid? F-Zero does fit the norm of serious racing, though; I'm quite interested on how they'll handle all of the car violence, ohoho~

Back