• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] The First Journey & Red's Journey West v.10

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Just freaking amazing game great job you did there

Gotta say, the game is awesome. That's the true story of professor Oak XD

Thank you both, glad you enjoyed the game.

Hello everyone, please note that a pretty significant update incorporating a lot of feedback, adding areas, refining certain parts of the game, and updating the ending, is coming out soon. If you are a new player, it is advised that you wait for the new version. Old link is still up for those who can't wait.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Hello everyone, Version 4 is here!

This is a pretty big update. Here is a short list of the most important stuff:

- 13 new Quests "League/Personal Missions"
    - New dungeons
    - A revamped ending
    - Text overhaul
    - Better cutscene flow
    - Better pacing
    - Quality of life changes
    - New music
    - Speedup fixed
    - Crashing bug fixed
    - All gym leaders except for Sam's friends are available for rematch
    - A unique story event encounter
    - Two optional areas north of Cerulean Cape
    - All cutscenes are now proper cutscenes (no more black screens except for 2 short cases)
    - New Graphics
    - NPC reaction to certain events and changes
    - New Tamer Leader OWs and Trainer sprites
    - Optional secret Boss
    - Level and Tamer teams rebalance
    - Backtracking improved, various options to assist overworld movement implemented
    - Random encounter disabler item added
    - Bicycle speed increased
    - Pidgeot Taxi available in Pallet too
    - Unlimited pokeballs available after establishment of Silph
    - More expressive NPC movement during cutscenes
    - More healing spots and chances to heal
    - Better respawn handling
    - Added EXP ALL
    - Date discrepancies fixed
    - Unavailable mons like Nidoran now available

We hope you enjoy this new update!
    Play all the way till the end and get a glimpse of things to come!

Have fun!

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    A scarily well-done game that
    Spoiler:

If a future update could indicate which event leads to the "point of no return," that would be awesome, I accidentally locked myself out of the optional secret boss by saving at the wrong moment! 😅
    On a somewhat related note, it was funny to see
    Spoiler:

After taking a look at the warning feature list of the other title, I think I'll be putting off any returns to this world until/if Unraveled Paths gets updated, thank you for putting this together!

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    A scarily well-done game

Thanks a lot for your review!

If a future update could indicate which event leads to the "point of no return," that would be awesome, I accidentally locked myself out of the optional secret boss by saving at the wrong moment! 😅
    On a somewhat related note, it was funny to see

Oh, sorry to hear that, I thought the indication was explicit enough in the form of Sam's words and how the events had built up. Any suggestions?

After taking a look at the warning feature list of the other title

Haha, hopefully you will have a pleasant experience shortly!

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    Figuring out which was the "definitely final dungeon" option was tricky for me because it felt like Fuji was being built up as the last opponent to face, with the notebooks and close call at the docks.

Having Sam briefly lean on the fourth wall before "the point of no return," would be one suggestion. With the particular character he demonstrates, Sam could express anticipation at being one step shy of bringing the world into a new era, should he literally and metaphorically continue down the route he is traveling.

In a similar vein, an alternate prompt could be to have Sam muse on whether to spend effort on confronting Fuji, with how close Sam is to achieving his goal at that point.

Thanks again for the game!

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Figuring out which was the "definitely final dungeon" option was tricky for me because it felt like Fuji was being built up as the last opponent to face, with the notebooks and close call at the docks.

Having Sam briefly lean on the fourth wall before "the point of no return," would be one suggestion. With the particular character he demonstrates, Sam could express anticipation at being one step shy of bringing the world into a new era, should he literally and metaphorically continue down the route he is traveling.

In a similar vein, an alternate prompt could be to have Sam muse on whether to spend effort on confronting Fuji, with how close Sam is to achieving his goal at that point.

Thanks again for the game!

Got it, I will get around to implementing suggestion no2 after the main game's first episode has dropped.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Version 4.4 is now out. This is the last version before the postgame comes out, assuming no major bug suddenly appears or something.
    This version fully supports the ending mod by RadarsPJ, the link to which can be found in the thread.
    Changelog:
    Spoiler:

Years
    Now I'll be trying this with the mod. Tonight I am playing the game again, and since I came across the mod, I'll try it too. 😍😍

Already played a version of the game, although I forgot most of the gameplay, I will be witnessing the fixes and changes to the game. 😍

Thanks. 😉

"Does Samuel Oak remember Ash Ketchum? he met him as a child(Sam) in the Pokémon 4Celebi movie."

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Now I'll be trying this with the mod. Tonight I am playing the game again, and since I came across the mod, I'll try it too. 😍😍

Already played a version of the game, although I forgot most of the gameplay, I will be witnessing the fixes and changes to the game. 😍

Thanks. 😉

"Does Samuel Oak remember Ash Ketchum? he met him as a child(Sam) in the Pokémon 4Celebi movie."

Have fun! You'll like it for sure. Since the games almost always ignore anime canon, there is no consideration for the movie here. This game mostly draws from beta and gen 1-2 game elements.

Looks incredible, keep up the great work! :))

Thank you, postgame is coming soon :O

Years
    Yes I know that, also Oak of the animé doesn't look evil 😂 I don't know why I stated that random sentence here.

Genius storyline. I finished the game, few minutes ago, that was my second gameplay after a long time. I am excited for the postgame shown in the end of the game.
    Now after TFJ, try and convince me that Team Rocket are evil. 😂
    If that was to be made by Game Freak, a lot of things in the Pokémon core games would make sense suddenly.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    When I received an e-mail, I can't find the sender in Viridian. I don't know if is on Villa or Forest, so I searched on both.

A: Evolution: Levelup only,
    I strongly recommend you to change this text, maybe adding an example. When I initially read this, I thought that Graveler can't evolve, so I avoid buying a Geodude. In fact, they can evolve, but at higher level.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    When I received an e-mail, I can't find the sender in Viridian. I don't know if is on Villa or Forest, so I searched on both.

I strongly recommend you to change this text, maybe adding an example. When I initially read this, I thought that Graveler can't evolve, so I avoid buying a Geodude. In fact, they can evolve, but at higher level.

Hey FL, thanks for playing (also thanks for your resource contributions over the years)
    As it pertains to the e-mail, it's the small abandoned house where you need to surf to, on the left-hand side, right before Route 22.
    Keep in mind these abandoned houses you might have stumbled upon before, for the next set of locations.

Got it, I will change the text to make it clear that all mons evolve by leveling up.

The postgame that features the entire Johto Region and follows Red's journey to the West will be out around next month if all goes well, so keep your savefile once you've gotten to the end!

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Hey FL, thanks for playing (also thanks for your resource contributions over the years)
    As it pertains to the e-mail, it's the small abandoned house where you need to surf to, on the left-hand side, right before Route 22.
    Keep in mind these abandoned houses you might have stumbled upon before, for the next set of locations.

Got it, I will change the text to make it clear that all mons evolve by leveling up.

The postgame that features the entire Johto Region and follows Red's journey to the West will be out around next month if all goes well, so keep your savefile once you've gotten to the end!
    Thanks! I didn't notice the notebook! I probably guessed that this object was something I already checked before the e-mail.

I found some bugs, especially tile errors. I gonna make a bigger post soon.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    I completed the game. Overall was a good game, but it can be a great one if you fix some problems.

GOOD POINTS

The story was the best story that I had seen on a Pokémon fangames, congratulations! The creation of several things are explained, to big details like the legendary birds to even the smaller ones, like the fences on route 13. The characterization was very good! Oaks sounds a lot like a very strategic academic. The new (or old!?) personalities on existing characters are very neat. The end sequence was awesome. It reminds me Medabots (reversed in a point).

The music remixes are very good! My favorites are the gang leader theme, the bicycle theme and Silph theme.

POINTS TO IMPROVE

Few healing points. Until late game, there are very few parts that you can heal for free. At start, before Lavender, there is no healing point. I didn't know and I spend good part of my items/hp training/catching wild pokémon, letting me with a hard time at this. I almost gave up playing this game at this point. And even after, I reset/battle versus Eizo 6 times at minimum! I know that you want to demonstrate how the things are hard in the old times, but I don't think that this way (finite money gain and (almost) only expensive healing points) work well in a game with hours of duration, where the player need a party with differents types (and money for Apricorn Balls) when he doesn't know how many enemies are ahead. At least makes someone healing for $10-50 on first cities, specially because money is scarce at beginning (and repels eventually end). I can't say if the game is also too easy on the first bosses.

Too many backtracking blocks until late game. I can't undestand some invisible barriers like the one on north of Route 12+Mt Moon when the ferry at south is ready. This, combined with autosave makes me hesitant to proceed several times. Talking about autosave, sometimes the game ask for save, other times there is an autosave, this is strange.

The lack of TMs/Move Tutors. There is even a sidequest about TMs. Before this, why not make some Move Tutors in the cities? Or at least make a Surf HM, so I didn't need to keep the Lapras in my party!

The lack of item balls in the maps. There are very few herbs on ground, but nothing on caves. This makes the exploration a little boring. A little more herbs on ground and something for caves (maybe mushrooms/pearls/stardust) should helps here.

The enemies parties on route 17 are too much reused.

When a mission ask to go to route X, I need to check on web pages where the route is. A map should solve this.

Why I can't heal in the PokéCenter after the sidequest?

I can't use bicycle on caves and gates for some reason.

If you want to player doen't catch the legendary pokémon, just block player using a ball, not deflecting balls. This makes me wasting a Ball =/

No cry for pidgeot in Saffron?

No joke when I try to use bicycle indoors?

BUGS:
    • On Route 8 the game freeze when a pokémon appears (right after the message "A Rattata appears") three times in a row. I saved, loaded and everything goes back to normal. This happened again in route 24 after I picked the apricorn and a wild pokémon appears, and in various points. It happened to me at least 15 times. I guess that this has some relation with fast-forward and saving/picking items or using Surf and canceling (back to ground). This bug is dangerous: A player may give up, I suggest tracking and fixing this.
    • A similar bug happened when I enter on route 23 from Viridian. Both musics became playing (I guess) and when I talked to apricorn tree, the game freeze.
    • One time, when wild battle transition started, the game just crashed. I was on route 23
    • Text is a bit misaligned on "Game Info" window
    • Ether in battle gives me an error message
    • The fishinging sprites are outpositioned
    • I can't enter on Fuchsia GYM.
    • I can't surf/exit surf from up/down on some Route 12 tiles. I need to do this as left/right
    • AI sometimes insist on using Last Resort, even when it isn't available (Jolteon by example).
    • Move relearner talks with blue text on one dialog.
    Spoiler:

About my script Unreal Time: On Essentials v17 the tone update was changed to refresh only after every 30 seconds. This change doesn't work well on my script, so the tone update wasn't smooth. In the new Unreal Time version, the tone change was updated to be smooth again. I suggest updating.

My party before the last battle:
    The First Journey & Red's Journey West v.10

After the superboss (15:17 playtime):

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I completed the game. Overall was a good game, but it can be a great one if you fix some problems.

After the superboss (15:17 playtime):

WOW, thanks so much for your detailed and thorough review!

Very glad you found the story (and the music) so good! It's an honor!

You will definitely like the -postgame that is actually a new game- if you liked what you've seen so far.

Onto your other points;

Spoiler:

Now, about the bugs, here's a significant problem that ties into the majority of the bugs you have reported:

Spoiler:

Regarding your tone settings – are you talking about the smoothness of the transition, or the frequency of the update of the tint? If the latter, in order to not stress the engine (and due to the other weird memory bugs) I simply reduced the update to lower than what your script originally had.

Again, massive thanks for your playthrough and the time you took to get all those bugs reported! I am very grateful.

The postgame - that isn't exactly a postgame because it is an entire new game starring Red - releases next week, if all goes well. You will definitely like it, (especially the Stadium 1 + Stadium 2 + Colosseum + HGSS remixes), so I hope you'll get to play that too!

If you know someone who might be able to help me with the big issue, please drop me a dm. I was suspecting the portrait script itself at first, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Years
    this looks so cool, cant wait to play it!! personally one of the things that interests me the most is to find out what happened to agatha...

she seems so different from the old agatha we already know lol

Back