• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Following Feature - Third Version [ #11 ]

Would you like to see the Following Feature added back for a Third Version?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • I absolutely loved the feature, and would be overjoyed if it made a comeback. This was the reason I never rode my bike in Heart Gold. They could make it optional this time to please everybody. Not to mention that it would be a wonderful feature to add in order to encourage more people to buy "Gray".

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I would love it, I loved havin' meh typhlosion follow me everywhere in Soul Silver.

Of course it wouldn't effect the the games storyline or anything thing, but it's still a really great and fun addition.

Maybe they could add some features to it n' stuff. Maybe even like a sorta mini Nintendogs thing, "Nintenmons?" Well you could wash, feed etc... but then again that could be a whole game. Maybe just a few little features to make the pokémon seem less lifeless, maybe give them facial exspessions on the sprites, so you don't have to click em.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I want it back so badly ='( It was my favourite feature of all the games! My Pokemon felt so real, I could really bond with them.

Now I don't want to transfer my shinies into Black/White because walking around with shiny Pokemon are amazing!

I have hopes that they'll bring it back. It must take a long time to animate all 649 Pokemon...so I think they might be working on it for the third release.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Black and White Poll #11:

The Following Feature
    erzk2g.gif

So as many of you know, the following feature was one of the most popular and acclaimed features of HGSS. Unfortunately, GameFreak decided not to bring back the feature for Black and White. This hyped addition was most likely a promotion for HGSS as they figured it would bring more buyers.

So my question to you all, would you like to see the following feature brought back for a possible third version? Or maybe not? ;)

Discuss, discuss, discuss!
    holly1.gif

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the following feature was something that came along two late to be included in the first versions of Black and White that we received, considering that Black and White have been in development for about 4 years, a lot of that time spent concurrently with HGSS's development and only a short amount of time to see what the players thought of the feature.

As such I expect it will be in any future games due to how well it was recieved in HGSS.

Years
  • Personally, I'm of the opinion that the following feature was something that came along two late to be included in the first versions of Black and White that we received, considering that Black and White have been in development for about 4 years, a lot of that time spent concurrently with HGSS's development and only a short amount of time to see what the players thought of the feature.

As such I expect it will be in any future games due to how well it was recieved in HGSS.

I think so too. I imagine the rudimentary form of B/W was in the works far before HG/SS was.

But I'd love to see it in a third game. Lot's of new awesome Pokemon to follow me. like Wargle. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I want a Seed bby following me. :| Really badly. So yes yes yes I would looove to see it in the third version! Along with a Vs. Seeker

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
  • I just imagined a Gigigear following me. No wonder they didnt add the feature. That would be a lot of work O_o

ontopic: yes. It would be cool to have one of the genie trio following me. Even better, ALL THREE! It would make sense, what with the triple battles and all.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I would like to see it in the third version, certainly, although somehow I think it may be more likely to next appear (if ever) in an RSE remake, assuming one is made. *shrugs* I guess that's my prediction with that.

Years
  • I'm spoiled now thanks to HGSS so it feels like something is incomplete when there is nothing following my game character. It was a great gimmick and I'd be sad if it never came back.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • As always, in the third game there is always new features, hence why it's released but I don't see any other features they could add. Pokemon Black & White is already spectacular, however I do see that being a feature because I don't think they could add many more features, so yeah, I hope so :).

tobi-ksla

Years
  • One of the main reasons why HGSS had the Follower Pokémon Feature was because it fit the main theme of the games' storyline: Humans and Pokémon living together in harmony.

Personally, whether this feature will be implemented in the third game doesn't really matter to me. But of course, if they did put that in, then it wouldn't be out of place, considering the theme of BW's storyline. (Insert Winking Smiley Here)

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I, for one, didn't care about the following feature and it wouldn't matter to me if it returned or not. But if it did, it should be by all means be optional. It annoyed me at times in HGSS.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's one of the cutest things about HG/SS. I guess the increased 3D is a reason for not bringing it to the newer games, but I'd like to see it :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I guess it'd be nice for the third game (especially for Bachuru), but if not, I'm sure there will be a lot of other awesome features we can look forward to!

/unstickies

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'd like to have it back; it was a great feature that many fans have wanted since the introduction of Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow. Though I'm sure not having it wouldn't reduce the number of buyers, there's no reason not to be able to include it and have an On/Off feature for those who don't want to have a Pokemon follow them around.

This. The Follow-Me feature is likely not going to make a major difference in sales, but it is still one of those great "little things" players love about Pokemon that enriches the experience. Like Poke Ball Seals, Poke Ball animations (when Pokemon is released from Poke Ball), the Apricorn Balls, and what not.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the following feature was something that came along two late to be included in the first versions of Black and White that we received, considering that Black and White have been in development for about 4 years, a lot of that time spent concurrently with HGSS's development and only a short amount of time to see what the players thought of the feature.

That's the main argument I'm hearing; the feature was axed due to the concurrent work on HGSS and BW. At the very least, being included as an optional feature in BW's third version wouldn't hurt it at all (one more bullet point on the blurb on the back of the box, anyway :P).

I would dislike it if the feature were implemented as a third version "perk" (similar to the Battle Frontier and the ability to catch all of the generation's version mascots in one game), but it would be a nice thank-you to everyone who actually waits for the third version. But it would seem more suitable being included in all of a generation's versions, not just the third one.

And being "exclusive" to the GS remakes shouldn't stop Nintendo from reintroducing it. :\ Pokemon Yellow Version (well, technically the Pokemon anime) started the whole concept, so it should be fair game for all future main series games. Finally, it gives a tiny sense of realism to the player's Pokemon - as Pikachu has displayed, not all Pokemon want to be cooped up in a ball a day (despite the suitable environ); they want to interact with their Trainers as well to foster relationships. Yes, little pixels following your avatar can't exactly do this, but you get the idea! :nervous:

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • OMG I really want this back!!
    It was such an awesome feature I loved having Lugia following me :(
    Please bring the feature back! (With an option to turn it off for people who don't like their pokemon following them)

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Yeah, it seems like the just chose not to do it for B/W. The 3D didn't change the fact that the Trainer sprites are still 2D overworlds. Plus, look at the Dream World. There's overworlds for all 649 Pokémon. So, as of right now it just seems like it'll be a 3rd Game/Remake feature.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • It would be nice to see it implemented back in the supposedly third version, but I don't why Game Freak should. With the crapload of new features added in Black/White, the the walking feature may be one of those minor things in the game that may not have any sort of importance.

Not tyring to stray from the topic at hand, why don't they bring the Pokewalker into the Fifth Generation? The walking feature were hand and hand with the thing. That would be cool in my opinion.

Back