• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Adam Johnson arrested for shagging a 15 year old girl.

I wonder if Gus Poyet will make him train with the kids as punishment.

Years
    inb4 we're beaten by Wigan on Wednesday.

With Wigan in the state they're in, I'm sure they are no threat. Then again if we played them I imagine we'd lose and everyone would be saying 'typical boro'.

I loved the liverpool man city game, the players just never gave up, and we deservedly won! #YNWA
    We are liverpol tralalala we are liverpol tralalalala!
    Come Scousers continue like this and a top 4 stop is assured!
    And btw is it just me or I'm one of the only hardcore football and pokemon fans?

Most of my friends both like football & pokemon as well as other nerdy crap so I guess I'm used to it not being too rare, but I'd say there's probably more than you think. Maybe not so much at your age because I imagine pokémon wasn't as big during your childhood as it was for me (which still wasn't near its peak of course).

Adam Johnson arrested for shagging a 15 year old girl.

I wonder if Gus Poyet will make him train with the kids as punishment.

Twitter has been brilliant for all the Adam Johnson 'banter'. My favourites are the old Man City live updates. (Example)

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Wigan are in a state and we are flying, perfect banana skin game.

So Premier League B teams might be involved in the Paintpot trophy from now on, with the aim of developing young players. Should just bring back reserve leagues like back in the day.

Edit - This is now a Chris Hughton appreciation thread.

Last edited:
    Years
    I somehow didn't even know he was in charge at Brighton, I appreciate him indeed (that win also means they're much more likely to have nothing to play for on the last day vs us). Hopefully such a convincing win gives us the confidence to win at Forest and from there on it's up to us to beat the other big boys and not slipping up in our relatively easy home games to get promoted.

I'm not a big fan of B teams, I probably would be if football had just started and we didn't have lower league teams with huge histories. I suppose it's fine if it's only in JPT for now though.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Most league 1 and below sides don't really value the JPT so I don't see any problem with it.

I agree with you on b teams in regular team competitions though. Recent youth development programs are already extremely geared towards sides towards the top end of the pyramid [of course we can't really complain about this].

Reserve team football was fun, sometimes. Getting to see your new players or your manager trying out something different tactically, all for a couple of quid. I can see why some would be against it as it would probably reduce the amount of top clubs loaning out players. I'd say it would accommodate player hoarding but top sides use the loan market to do that anyway. Certainly would be better than the 3-4 over aged players rule we have in the u21 premier league.

Edit - Implying we even wanted to go second.

Last edited:
    Years
    The interesting thing is that we hear a lot about how we need to emulate the German system to benefit our national team yet we moved from having reserve teams to these U21 squads. Germany have B teams (usually not called B teams but whatever) which I would say are closer to reserve teams obviously. I think it's difficult to see many benefits to the U21 idea, if the club hasn't realised you're going to be good at 18 it probably never will and you're probably better off developing lower down the pyramid.

You've had the joy of some nice goals to share lately, here is one of Boro's last night. It's nice for the build up rather than being an amazing strike or anything (though it's still a nice finish). - Link

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Great goal.

Wish I had bet on our game last night. Really did feel like a game we would struggle in, I guess it was to do with putting so much effort into the previous games. Hope it will act as a wake up call and we can get back on track away at Millwall on the weekend.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2020
    You guys are mostly EPL fans uh?!

Sucks, I'm a huge Calcio fan (Serie A), die-hard Juventino! As for the EPL, to Arsenal, Man U not to qualify for next year CL, that would bring a lot of pleasure to me, also Chelsea and City to get knocked out from the CL upcoming round would make me REALLY happy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2020
    You guys are mostly EPL fans uh?!

Sucks, I'm a huge Calcio fan (Serie A), die-hard Juventino! As for the EPL, to Arsenal, Man U not to qualify for next year CL, that would bring a lot of pleasure to me, also Chelsea and City to get knocked out from the CL upcoming round would make me REALLY happy.

Years
    Well we probably talk about the Championship more than the EPL because the most frequent posters support Championship teams. Unfortunately I don't really keep up to date with Serie A at the moment because it doesn't seem as exciting as other European leagues.

That said between a lot of frequenters not posting in a while and Weeaboo getting banned a lot, there might a lot less discussion to come anyway.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    I always forget to post, (I'm always busy with forum games) but gottta talk about the Liverpool vs Blackburn game ( I LOVE Liverpool YNWA)

Credit to Blackburn, they really held on, and they fully deserved the draw. As for Liverpool, that was a really poor display, especially versus a championship side. They're excused as it's only a FA Cuo match.

Years
    Apparently Jordan Rhodes is off to either Boro, Derby or Norwich on loan with permanent deals agreed in case of promotion. It sounds a bit ridiculous to me and certainly too good to be true for us, but it's one to keep an eye on. No doubt our major weakness would be solved with him in the team.

I always forget to post, (I'm always busy with forum games) but gottta talk about the Liverpool vs Blackburn game ( I LOVE Liverpool YNWA)

Credit to Blackburn, they really held on, and they fully deserved the draw. As for Liverpool, that was a really poor display, especially versus a championship side. They're excused as it's only a FA Cuo match.

Gary Bowyer is doing a pretty good job there so I'm not surprised they were resilient in your FA Cup tie. It's a shame he joined the club in such a shambles or he could probably get them towards the top end of the table.

What was Di Maria paying at yesterday, you can't ever put your hands on the ref!!

I imagine it was just a crazy heat of the moment action, but it's hard to know without footage. It will probably help United anyway, Di Maria could do with a few games off.

Years
    Why doesn't anyone post here anymore?

Defoe just scored one of the best goals of the season in the Tyne-Wear derby.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    My most recent ban was down to ''disrespect to members''. Apparently even with the swear filter and no actual intent some things aren't cool to say.

Edit - As I haven't been here for the last month I haven't been able to treat you with our better goals.

Our goal of the year vid will run for an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Ah we're alive again.

The goals of last weekend could've ran for an hour in the Premier League.

I'd pick Jonny Howson out of those in your competition.

To sum up my thoughts on Boro while we've been gone - YES we're getting promoted, NO we've bottled it, YES we're getting promoted etc. At the moment, I'm on the 'we've bottled it' mentality.

Back