• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Mods editing my posts, I guess my suspicions about that ''consecutive posting'' ban were spot on. Spooky.

Our fans have been like that a lot recently. I think it is down to the fact we've almost always been playing for something over the last 13 years or so. 3 promotions, 3 relegations, a couple of near misses including a playoff final loss and of course 5 or 6 relegation battles. Could certainly imagine that a club that was established in the Premier League and then dropped only to repeatedly drop off towards the tail end of the season would have flipflappy fans.

My prediction that Bournemouth would drop off appears to have been rather wide of the mark. tittlemouse - How much refball do you guys actually get? Whenever I see you lot play Callum Wilson seems to ''win'' a penalty.

Anyway, let's do this. A Norwich, Boro, Bournemouth triple PC promotion.

Weekend's fixtures should be fun;

Brighton v Bournemouth - Ironically Hughton could play a big part in us going up
    Derby v Brentford - Now super Chrissy Martin is back I think Derby will cruise into the playoffs
    Birmingham v Wolves - Hopefully Wolves win to keep Ipswich out of the top 6
    Bolton v Norwich - We've been great away from home but I'm not looking forward for going into this and Leeds without Bradley johnson
    Ipswich v Blackpool - Home win
    Middlesbrough v Rotherham - Home win

Last edited:
    Years
    I think it's understandable that we would be pessimistic at the moment, we still have to play you away which is a very likely loss given our performances at Watford & Bournemouth. Our injuries and some players being out of form mean the selections look unconvincing even for the easiest games too. The only positive we have is we play one less away game than the other teams near the top.

I guess if you beat us, you should be fine really. I'm guessing if there was a 2015 table you would be top by some margin.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I'm really missing Ipswich in the title race. Though I haven't been following much of the championship, I would've really liked to see them in the premier league next season

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Was listening to the Norwich match on the train today, wow. Think I gave the little Indian girl sitting opposite me a heart attack when that Hooper goal went in, had done well keeping quiet until that moment.

I'm really missing Ipswich in the title race. Though I haven't been following much of the championship, I would've really liked to see them in the premier league next season

Wanting another bunch of hoofers in the Premier League. No thanks.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Was listening to the Norwich match on the train today, wow. Think I gave the little Indian girl sitting opposite me a heart attack when that Hooper goal went in, had done well keeping quiet until that moment.

Wanting another bunch of hoofers in the Premier League. No thanks.
    Spoiler:

{XD}, Fair play

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    I know it's a bit late, but for you guys who haven't seen that Charlie Adams goal. OMG.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Not going to happen. It's taken them something like 20 games to catch up 5 points. Top of the league has been even more boring than usual this season.

At least the bottom 5 might end up being fun.

Years
    I'd be more willing to say United will catch them, but nah the title race has been over for a long time.

Unfortunately it's starting to look that way in the Championship too, it's difficult to see Bournemouth throwing it away now.

Hopefully the PL relegation battle does get interesting, but then I want all the teams currently in the zone to go down.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I like Burnley more than Sunderland, that would be my only change. They always manage to save themselves though so you'll probably get your wish. Hull vs Burnley will be huge.

Don't think any side in the top 4 will go will take full points from their remaining games, even if Bournemouth do have a fairly easy looking run in. I expect points will be dropped on Tuesday night in fact, really tough looking round for most of the sides.

Jerome vs Bellusci could be an interesting match up in our game, ''not proven'' was the verdict over that alleged racist incident in the Carrow Road game. Shame only Howson of our ex-Leeds contingent will be playing.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I'd be more willing to say United will catch them

Surely this is a joke right?
    I get that the title race is over, since I was just playing devil's advocate to see what people thought, but to say Utd more likely to catch them is ludacris.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Not at all. They play eachother so if United win that and level them they will overtake them.

Arsenal make a thing out of going on good runs towards the tail ends of seasons but they always disappoint.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    Ugh....

We're playing Newcastle today. Although Newcastle is on a bad run too, I feel Liverpool have not been the same since the Man u game. Hopefully we can win today, YNWA. Coutinho is probably our biggest hope.

Years
    Surely this is a joke right?
    I get that the title race is over, since I was just playing devil's advocate to see what people thought, but to say Utd more likely to catch them is ludacris.

Weeb Name's post above sums up my reasoning very well. I have a major United bias amongst PL teams as well so I was always going to say something like that.

Ugh....

We're playing Newcastle today. Although Newcastle is on a bad run too, I feel Liverpool have not been the same since the Man u game. Hopefully we can win today, YNWA. Coutinho is probably our biggest hope.

I wouldn't worry too much, Newcastle seem like they're already on their holidays.

Years
    They took a very early holiday last season as well. Got to 40 points by late Jan/early Feb something and went on a losing spree. I remember them being on 46 points for 2 months or more. The only match they won after that was the one against Cardiff to help their rivals survive.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    The Football League has announced its three-man shortlist for the Young Player of the Year award.

This nominees for this year's award, which covers players in all three Football League divisions, are Dele Alli (Milton Keynes Dons), Patrick Bamford (Middlesbrough) and Nathan Redmond (Norwich City).

---

So that'll be Bamdord's win then. Redmond has been on the bench too much, I'm surprised he's even listed tbh. That Spurs kid Brentford have on loan would have been a much better pick.

Years
    There's no real incentive for Newcastle to keep playing in situations like this, they won't make Europe and they won't get relegated. Once you throw in that the fans are used to crap football, it's easy to doubt that most of the players are passionate enough to play for the badge at this part of the year.

That surprises me quite a bit because Bamford has only really hit his stride in the second half of the season, I'm amazed there isn't someone who has been consistently good all season. I suppose sixteen goals in the league while mainly playing Right Wing is very impressive through.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Redmond has scored 3 and assisted 8, so England u21 form and reputation must have played a part. He's by no means been bad, in fact he's come on quite a bit under Adams and Neil but there must have been more deserving players.

Back