• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
  • Most of the kitmakers use generic designs and just apply the team's logo, sponsor and colours to it.

Observe the Middlesbrough 2012/13 home kit.

Spoiler:

And then the Swindon 2012/13 away kit.

Spoiler:

The Swindon picture actually came up on the search for the Boro kit, which I guess means this point has been made somewhere before.

Anyway just to further cement my point...

Boro away 12/13

Spoiler:

Bristol City home 12/13

Spoiler:

Must admit that I haven't seen this year's Boro designs repeated anywhere, but then the home kit is awful so I doubt many teams would've accepted it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Just has a look, yeaaaaah, that isn't so hot. I've actually noticed a lot of the Adidas kits this year are either boring or not very nice

Even a bad kit will look good when the team are playing well, you'll just have to hope that happens.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Norwich are very much a side on the up though. In 2009 this happened and now they are tailing players like Fabio Quagliarella after finishing 12th and 11th in the Premier League.

Like a slightly less drastic Swansea City xD.

Adidas do seem to be throwing out the same kit millions of times over. Nike, on the other hand, seem to make a little more effort for the big clubs at least. I haven't seen kits closely resembling United or Barcelona's, for example.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Unless you're talking about the league cup I'd say the recent history of Norwich has been more drastic. This Swansea success has been 15 years in the making, for Norwich it pretty much came out of nowhere.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah, perhaps drastic wasn't the right word. More...incredible. Norwich turned things around pretty darn fast. Swansea were just so deep, they've slowly built their way out of it (were bought for £! by the fans. A decade later they're beating Malmo 4-0 in a Europa League qualifier, having just signed the Dutch footballer of the year).
    I could see Norwich challenging for Europa League spots if they signed Quagliarella or someone of similar calibre. Especially if Liverpool lose Suarez, as they'll basically be left with a team specifically built around one player, who isn't there. Like when Messi was injured for a couple of games and Barca's season collapsed. I mean you did manage to beat United 1-0 last season, imagine what would happen if a Champions League-quality (well, dubious xD) striker was up front.

RollsOfSushi

Hotter than Wasabi
    Years
  • I used to play soccer as a little kid, but then I stop.. Then I took it up again in 8th grade just to do another sport, but I ended up not liking it even though I wasn't bad. Oh well~

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Best of luck to any of the fans of Championship/L1/L2 clubs in here today. So Nuke then.

It's almost time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Best of luck to any of the fans of Championship/L1/L2 clubs in here today. So Nuke then.

Haha. Well I always look out for Carlisle United, as they're my local team. Guaranteed win at the bookies: Carlisle have won two games on the trot, bet that they won't win a third. Haven't done since we lost Paul Simpson.

Years
  • I'm a soccer fan in general since WC 2002. I've followed Premier League for a while but recently my attentions are shifting to Bundesliga. I started following a team called Bayer Leverkusen as Son heung min is the most promising player that Korea has to offer. Leverkusen is also pretty much the closest team that can break the current Bayern/Dortmund duopoly, though I do like watching both teams.

By the way please don't crucify me for calling it soccer... I know football sounds more relevant but as an American everybody I know calls it soccer so I sort of got "basterdized" in with it.

Years
  • I haven't been on over the weekend due to business, but I'm glad to see a couple of different posters.

But yeah Boro, same old story, crap in the second half. It was disappointing to watch as usual. We'll be lucky to stay up.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • Both Schurrle and De Bruyne looked promising on our pre-season match against Milan, and I think we have only Madrid to play against? I'm not really sure.

Anyhow can't wait for the new BPL season to start and especially to see who Mourinho picks as the main starters.

Years
  • article-2153096-13654AAC000005DC-447_468x450.jpg

It's League Cup time again. Boro play Accrington Stanley (who are they?) and it should be fun.

Anyone think their team will win it this year? It's not a big one for United or Chelsea fans, but I'm sure -Lapras- would love to see The Canaries lift it.

Edit: Almost forgot, Boro have pretty much wrapped up the signing of Albert Adomah and now we have made a bid for Ross McCormack. Very promising if they join.

Years
  • At least Luton can't be drawn against you in this competition. :P

I think with the recruits Norwich have made this season, this is a good competition for them to focus on if they can put together a good run.

Hopefully we will score a few goals, it's more likely I'll be biting my nails as Accrington come forward at 0-0 in the last ten minutes.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • A couple more additions and I think Norwich will have an extremely capable starting eleven with good or great backup for every player. That being said if Norwich don't pick up another good central defender an injury to Bassong/Turner could be awful, also still lacking direct competition for Wes in the attacking midfield/support striker position.

Squad has changed so much over the last few years it is almost amazing. Only 1 player left from our league 1 season....and he's probably about to be named captain. Russell Martin is gr888.

----

Ouch. Any excitement for the new season up at Boro has now gone.

Ipswich and Wolves are out as well. I think it is a good thing I didn't have any bets on tonight.

----

Norwich drew 1 - 1 with Sociedad. van Wolfswinkel for Norwich and Carlos Vela for them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024

Anyone think their team will win it this year? It's not a big one for United or Chelsea fans, but I'm sure -Lapras- would love to see The Canaries lift it.

Na, any trophy is a good trophy. If Moyes loses the Community Shield I'll be a bit pissed. And really I think the only excuse United have not to win the C1Cup is because they're deliberately playing weakened teams (i.e. youth + Nani if he's out of form) to save energy for the big 3.

Aren't Sociedad the ones who just lost Illaramendi for £36m to Real? Haven't heard, but if they've re-invested even 1/4 of that in new players then Norwich did well. You've got to worry if Van Wolfswinkel scores too many will Moyes continue the Ferguson tradition of buying good Dutch strikers and steal him off you?​

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Adomah is a good signing by the looks of it, with him and players like Emnes you sure have got some pace in that attack.

If Ricky bangs them in for couple of seasons it is only natural that he'd move up in the footballing world. He is only 24 now so I'd imagine his value would dramatically increase in that time, so it wouldn't be all bad. If Norwich continue to improve at the rate they have recently I'm sure they would be in a decent position for attracting players once he moves on anyway.

Years
  • Emnes' pace is never used though, he just dawdles out of position. He really is useless most of the time. I appreciate the point though. :P

I have a good feeling about Van Wolfswinkel, but I think Swansea's Bony will probably go on to greater things.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Quite a shame, he destroys
    Spoiler:

Bony certainly has the advantage in pace and power but everything else seems about even. Considering Ricky was 4 million pounds cheaper and has about the same goal return I couldn't be happier. Wouldn't surprise me if both strikers broke past 15 goals in the coming season.

A partnership of Michu and Bony sure looks intimidating though.

Back