• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    A story I found while surfing, it's not mine, read it for some laugh :D
    Spoiler:

This might just be one of the best things I've ever read.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • So Liverpool finally have the league title on their own hands. These last few matches look really exciting.

Years
  • Thiago partially torn his ACL against Hoffenheim today so he won't be available until mid-May at least... big blow for us in the CL run.

If Liverpool win both home games against Chelsea and City I reckon they'll go on to win the title. Can see nothing but a big victory for Liverpool tomorrow against a terrible Spurs side.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Man Utd 4-1 Aston Villa - 1 point for me, 0 for Banz. Quite the rout! I thought it'd be narrow!
    Crystal Palace 0-2 Chelsea - No points. Chelsea just got Pulis'd.
    Southampton 2-1 Newcastle - 1 point each. Very close guess by Banz though!
    Stoke City 2-0 Hull City - 1 point for me, three for Banz!
    Swansea 1-1 Norwich - 1 point for Banz.
    West Brom 2-1 Cardiff City - No points.
    Arsenal 1-4 Man City - No points. Fighting stuff from Arsenal.

Banz 5 - 4 Moi

STILL ALL TO PLAY FOR. That perfect Stoke guess proved to be pretty decisive in the prediction face off so far!

Also, if there's one thing I can say about the Premier League: NEVER write off the minnows. There's a lot of games to go, and it's still any of the top three's to get given the remaining fixtures. City with the most games remaining, and Chelsea with the most points currently, and Liverpool with a happy medium of the two as of today's results. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out~

Years
  • Almost got the Southampton prediction right as well.

Chelsea have gone from being favourites (odds less than 1) to third favourites (odds over 6.5) within 3 weeks. They need 2 good gameweeks to get back now.

Years
  • I am pretty upset that Man C didn't win today. They could of go back to first place after Chelsea lost. Pretty disappointing. The Spanish is getting a bit interesting since RM or Barcelona aren't first rather than Atlatico de Madrid ~ I was never really interested in Spanish League but this result might be a pretty interesting one.

Years
  • Sorry about the predictions, I haven't had much time to check PC over the past few days.

It's getting worse and worse for Sunderland. All 3 teams above them look like getting 3 points today (although Palace may still drop points). 7 points away from safety with 2 games in hand.

And some form of North East derby looks like to return to the Riverside next season. Sounds good to me.

-Lapras- said:
    I had a dream last night that Norwich replaced Hopeless with Marcelo Bielsa. Was beautiful.

At least Hopeless is slightly less hopeless than Pepe Mel or Magath. Best scenario is probably for Norwich to stay up then start next season badly and sack Hughton.

In other news, Boro won against Brighton away somehow. It's a shame it doesn't really mean anything in terms of impact upon our season.

It's looking like two good results for the Merseyside teams today, it puts them in nice positions for challenging for the league (Liverpool) and CL (Everton) too.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Norwich will probably have lost 10 away games in a row come the end of the season. Not many managers would keep their job with a record like that. Also signing a 9 million pound, slight, box striker and using him as a target man all season. In a perfect world we stay up and replace him in the summer. Pretty sure our board would not do that though.

I'm also not totally sure who I would put in charge, I don't want the two names being branded about in Lennon and Malky and I don't think my dream was a prophecy.

Yeah, both Liverpool sides looking good and Spurs are poor, would be nice to get both sides in the top 4 this year. Especially at the expense of Arsenal.

Years
  • Hahahaha Spuds, will you be making a DVD of this match as well?
    It'd be great to play Everton in the Champions League. That is if they get past the play-offs. They should expect a tough opponent.

Finally back on top. If everything goes well, we should be able to stay on top until the end of the season. Have to win all remaining 6 games for that.

10155150_10201722969263532_623615351_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Years
  • Norwich will probably have lost 10 away games in a row come the end of the season. Not many managers would keep their job with a record like that. Also signing a 9 million pound, slight, box striker and using him as a target man all season. In a perfect world we stay up and replace him in the summer. Pretty sure our board would not do that though.

I'm also not totally sure who I would put in charge, I don't want the two names being branded about in Lennon and Malky and I don't think my dream was a prophecy.

Yeah, both Liverpool sides looking good and Spurs are poor, would be nice to get both sides in the top 4 this year. Especially at the expense of Arsenal.

McKay would be a good fit in my opinion. I'm pretty sure Lennon is probably a terrible manager hidden away in a job were his lack of managerial ability doesn't really make a difference.

Hahahaha Spuds, will you be making a DVD of this match as well?
    It'd be great to play Everton in the Champions League. That is if they get past the play-offs. They should expect a tough opponent.

Finally back on top. If everything goes well, we should be able to stay on top until the end of the season. Have to win all remaining 6 games for that.

10155150_10201722969263532_623615351_n.jpg

I wonder if Spurs and United will have a little competition for 7th by trying to lose games.

Ivysaur

Years
  • Well, that sixth place includes a ticket for the Thursday Night Channel 5 ESPN Cup, so it's worth playing for.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I didn't see Mackay's Cardiff City too often but when I did I wasn't massively impressed. Even in their promotion season their style of football wasn't very appealing, similar to Hughton's in fact. He was my favourite player in my early days of watching Norwich so that's another reason why I wouldn't want him here as manager, just in case it goes wrong. I hope the board learned their lesson with Gunny.

Hoping for a more attack minded manager with an up to date footballing philosophy. From the recently sacked Premier League managers I wouldn't mind Michael Laudrup or even Rene Meulensteen.

If we do stay up I'd imagine a club going into their fourth consecutive Premier League season, free of debt, with a fairly solid squad should be attractive enough to tempt an up and coming/looking to test himself in the 'best league in the world' kind of coach.

Inb4 it's Lennon and I cry.

In other news a Djurgarden fan was killed before the season opener with Helsingborgs. I had no idea Swedish football was like that nowadays.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Two points each for predictions for the Merseyside Super Sunday games~

Banz 7 - 6 Moi

The Sunderland game is the big decider!

Liverpool are really on a roll, and each game I'm always thinking "it can't last it can't last it can't last" and then we pull out another beautiful 3 point performance and I'm just overcome with delight. <3 When I was asked at the start of the season, I said Liverpool would just miss the top four. Eight games ago, I'd still have said "we'll just about get fourth"

...to think Liverpool will win the league in my lifetime, it's a beautiful thought. I can't get too carried away though. Nothing is certain in the Premier League. City still have an advantage of sorts, so it is still theirs to lose. I think Chelsea might focus themselves on the Champions League fixtures now.

Predicting City 1st Liverpool 2nd Chelsea 3rd Everton 4th

Ivysaur

Years
  • If Liverpool and Atleti win their leagues this year, I'll start believing in a football god that does not care about how billionaire you are.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    Liverpool winning the league would be a great achievement for football in itself. Think of it, they've got an English manager and always field multiple (young) English players per game. And they assembled this squad by spending and selling smart, after some horrible transfer business done by Dalglish. (Even though he got Suarez too, Caroll + Adam + Downing however...) It'd be a magnificent feat and might spread out a message. The lack of English players in the top PL teams is astounding.

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
    Years
  • Reus netted a hattrick to win the game after being 2-0 down... I can't wait to see more from him and Götze (and their combination play of course) in the World Cup

Years
  • Liverpool winning the league would be a great achievement for football in itself. Think of it, they've got an English manager and always field multiple (young) English players per game. And they assembled this squad by spending and selling smart, after some horrible transfer business done by Dalglish. (Even though he got Suarez too, Caroll + Adam + Downing however...) It'd be a magnificent feat and might spread out a message. The lack of English players in the top PL teams is astounding.

Rodgers is Northern Irish. :P But I do agree with you.

Man City are working on expanding the Etihad Stadium, how many more teams are going to get expansions/new stadiums before Chelsea & Liverpool get round to theirs?

Back