• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
And I was right, Mexico and Brazil did put on a show. It was a truly good match right there. Russia vs South Korea wasn't too special, but that was still a pretty good match also.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Quite the contrast between the Mexican and Russian goalkeepers there...

Of course, as if Australia needed more issues, we lost one of our defensive midfielders to injury during training. At least it isn't the captain. I wonder who will take his place - we have a player called Holland who is a decent chance to do so, which I suppose is amusing. Pity I don't like nor rate him as a player.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Australia and Holland might end up being a goal scoring frenzy. I think Australia for this game should be at least 25/1 and not 12/1. If Holland play the way they played against Spain, then I'm sorry, I can see it being a goalfest.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Fixtures out, nothing too interesting for opening weekend in the Premierleague, Southampton vs Liverpook could be good.

Norwich start away at Wolves, we never win on the opening day and usually struggle in front of the Sky cameras so I'm not expecting much. Ipswich and Wolves away in he first month is pretty interesting. Don't play Boro 'till the beginning of November though.

Some interesting games tonight. Hope Straya don't get rekt.

Years
If nothing else Australia's participation at this world cup can be remembered for that goal. Unbelievable. Hopefully the Australian team can hold on too.

South Korea made no sense last night, after conceding they didn't let Russia take control immediately which is what would usually happen and they actually fought for a lead, but then suddenly seemed happy with a draw in the last few minutes when most superior teams would throw the kitchen sink at the opposition.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I've completely under-estimated Australia here, but with Holland's performance against Spain, I thought that this would have been a stroll for Holland. Shame that Cahill is gonna miss the next match though... Now I really want Australia to win this game and cause an upset.

Years
Much better than when teams just turn up not to play and park the bus. You can be very proud any of you Australians.

It's a shame we're playing Norwich in November, if I'm at uni (which I should be, fingers crossed) then I'm unlikely to be in Boro at the time.

Years
Oh dear. Spain 0-2 Chile at half time. What the **** was Casillas doing for the second goal?

As it stands, Spain are going to be eliminated.

Edit: And Spain are out! Adios España!

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
lol, that guy.
Spoiler:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Well, Australia did put up one hell of a fight, they were leading 2-1 as well! I was going crazy when that penalty went in! Shame it had to finish the way it did.

The highlight is seeing Spain go out... Just like France did in 2002... well, if they lose to Australia.

Croatia 1-0 Cameroon, this is good so far but I'm so nervous.

EDIT: YESSSSSS! HRVATSKA 2-0 UP!!!

2ND EDIT: AND IT'S 3 FOR CROATIA!!!

3RD EDIT: Manzukic makes it 4-0 Croatia! They've played well here.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Australia and Holland might end up being a goal scoring frenzy. I think Australia for this game should be at least 25/1 and not 12/1. If Holland play the way they played against Spain, then I'm sorry, I can see it being a goalfest.
What was that, you say? :V Goalfest, yes, but not a one sided affair. =p

Yeah, sure, Holland were kinda off their game I feel, but nonetheless, what a match! Again we did ourselves proud, and if not for some poor defending... (I feel our keeper may have done better for the third goal, but on the flip side that'd be ignoring three good saves he made throughout the match, so really the dutch had plenty of chances). Defense shouldn't have stood off him so much as well. And the second goal one defender didn't come up and let van Persie remain onside. Our penalty was lucky too (after all, it hit the hand, but still fair because he left it out there). Nonetheless, still going to be thinking 'what-ifs' the rest of the day, haha.

That said about the defense - we lost our RB to injury the previous match, and one of our CBs got injured some months back to a sprinkler of all things... plus our other defensive midfielder (that said, his replacement did alright I feel). So we didn't have an ideal squad.

What a goal from Cahill. Guess we'll see how we manage without him against a Spain with nothing to play for.

People elsewhere (some of our dumber fans I suppose) commenting that our keeper should have saved the first one, which I don't see. He got close to it but Robben with that much space and time to shoot... was always going in, I don't see how he was at fault there.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I hope we can donate those three points to Australia. They deserve them much more than us.

Now it's when I should quote all the people who have told me "Don't worry, you'll make it through easily" these last weeks but alas. Should have put a fiver on it.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
To be honest I was not expecting Spain to do a France like in 2002. It has really been quite the surprise.

Well, I'm pulling for Costa Rica to beat Italy tomorrow. I really hope that they do.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
>Chris Brown: Blackburn Rovers 'offer deal' to Doncaster striker

Replacing Jordan Rhodes with Chris Brown would probably make me want to give up on life if I were a Rovers fan. Although I suppose he's improved from his short stint at Norwich where he managed a single goal in about 20 games.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I thought Italy and Costa Rica played today, my mistake. Colombia played quite well against Ivory Coast, it could be anyone's guess who they will play in Group D.

England purely don't have what it takes anymore. Been going in with very high expectations, and are just a real embarassment. Sorry if I've offended, but it's the truth.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
I have Italy in a work sweepstake, and Italy need to win both of their matches to save England.

...I AM THE BIGGEST ITALY FAN YOU WILL EVER SEE IN ENGLAND.

(England don't really deserve a place in the knockouts though)

Back