• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I can't decide if I want Sunderland to stay up yet again because it'll; irritate my Geordie friends, mean Adnan Januzaj is succeeding, and be a turnaround for David Moyes. Or if I'm just that fed up of them being this interminably crap for so long (since Roy Keane left pretty much) and would rather they go down. Hoping Crystal Palace do as well. I'll only be happy of Leicester's relegation if they also win the Champions League.

As a United fan I'm loving Pogba can finally play in a double-pivot, or at least seems to be able to. Much as I love Michael Carrick, it's getting almost farcical that we're so reliant on him for stability.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Barcelona got beat by the other team which uses dirty Qatar blood money mwahahaha!

In all seriousness, I've despised Barca as they've slowly gone away from all that "Res Que Un Club" by relegating Unicef to the back for Qatari money and doing dodgy deals like Neymar's transfer. But it's hard to be excited about the French branch of the government of Qatar being through into the next leg.

Perhaps i'd be more enthusiastic if I'd watched the game. Di Maria's goal for 3-0 was amazing (also as a United fan who liked him at Madrid too, very upsetting)

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Muller was dropped huh. I guess it makes sense, considering his form.

Arsenal so far look good defensively.

As I type Robben with the #THUNDERSHOT

EDIT: Good shape, but needed to close players down. Coquelin just cost Arsenal a goal.

EDIT 2: It's easy to see why Bayern are dominating so much. Arsenal have 2 man midfield, Bayern have 3. Still Bayern look fluid.

EDIT 3: That third goal was sublime. It's 4-1 to Bayern and Arsenal look lost.

EDIT 4: It's now 5-1. Is there any point of playing at the Emirates now? If Bayern get an away goal Arsenal need 6 to win. I think Koscheiny was injured which warranted a substitute but if not, that was the worst tactical decision by Wenger. On the bright side for Arsenal, Lahm's suspended for the next game (but even then, the difference is staggering, not to mention the foul Lahm committed is the sort of mentality you need to win games, sacrificing yourself and not the team).

I think this is the season where Sanchez/Ozil leave, if not, at least seriously consider.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I saw the scoreline whilst I was in a club and was just in hysterics. Such an Arsenal result.

As an aside, screw Real Madrid. I stopped watching at 1-1 and fair play Benzema's goal was good, but Insigne's was great. I'd been so happy too.

This round of CL fixtures has been unusually exciting - I'm not sure if that's just because Atletico haven't played yet (nothing against them, just in crunch games they can be pretty unexciting to watch unless you're studying tactics), or if - with the exception of that Barcelona defeat - it's because of a huge gap between the top clubs like Bayern and the fourth-place-or-bust types like Arsenal. Either way, here's hoping the defending doesn't get better.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I saw the scoreline whilst I was in a club and was just in hysterics. Such an Arsenal result.

As an aside, screw Real Madrid. I stopped watching at 1-1 and fair play Benzema's goal was good, but Insigne's was great. I'd been so happy too.

This round of CL fixtures has been unusually exciting - I'm not sure if that's just because Atletico haven't played yet (nothing against them, just in crunch games they can be pretty unexciting to watch unless you're studying tactics), or if - with the exception of that Barcelona defeat - it's because of a huge gap between the top clubs like Bayern and the fourth-place-or-bust types like Arsenal. Either way, here's hoping the defending doesn't get better.

I literally brought my house down for happiness at Insigne's goal, but I got disappointed of how the whole team reacted to the equalizer.
    I hope Napoli scores at least two goals (without taking one) in the next match, it would be amazing if we get to the quarter-finals for the first time in our history.
    It's tough though and we've seen it yesterday, but nothing's impossible and that's why the CL is such an amazing competition. :)

I've also been surprised by the final score of Bayern-Arsenal, I expected a tough match for Arsenal but Bayern simply crushed them.
    Arsenal will have a hard time getting to the quarter-finals now since the most favorable and reachable result is now 4-0.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I do too. I'll always support the English teams in the Champion's League (unless they're against Man Utd lol).

Bayern are dirty. Great players, but they cherry pick the best from the rest of the Bundesliga and it's practically a one horse race. I much prefer Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'll miss Mark Clattenburg. Anyone who has ever outraged the Daily Mail without being a criminal (Read: most people who have outraged the Daily Mail) is basically a public servant. #garylinekerforprimeminister

Sick burn from that German site haha. I always want Arsenal to lose because the way I see it there are only two possible futures: more of the same, or Wenger leaving. If he leaves they're screwed - the man has even more power than SAF did when he left, they have no real football people in the boardroom and there just aren't any top-level clubs where managers still have the level of control he has, so no possible replacement would be enough. You'd have to basically import an entire modern football structure, most likely during pre-season seeing how Wenger effectively decides his own future and so won't do so until the end of the season. Watching them finally crash and burn so spectacularly will be a once in a lifetime thing. But not as funny as their perpetual stasis. I'm just hoping we try and poach Sanchez from them at some point.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Read this several times and I have no idea what you're on about. Hit the booze early today?

Good old Daily Mail, where every Muslim is a terrorist, judges are enemies of the people because they are gay, the bum slip being the side boob being front page material...

It's a vile paper and I only have it in the house because sometimes the headlines are funny (and my parents read it).

ON TOPIC

Wenger's interview alledgedy states he'll make a decision on the contract extension in March/April. So probably when they have a good run of form and hit top 4 again.

Years
  • Happy seeing that performance, although Arsenal made it far too easy especially in the second half.

I'm expecting them to win at their place 2-0/3-1 in the return leg and claim superiority.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Happy seeing that performance, although Arsenal made it far too easy especially in the second half.

I'm expecting them to win at their place 2-0/3-1 in the return leg and claim superiority.

Yup.

Then they'll get a big boost from "beating" Bayern, go on a good run of form, maybe win the FA cup and have Champion's League sorted for next year and the cycle repeats itself.

Back